Bullet Train in Indonesia?

Can it really happen? I mean they really are talking about a collaboration between Japan and Indonesia to build a line from Jakarta to Surabaya for the Shinkansen bullet train. Yet when you look at the trains between Jakarta and Bandung all the windows are smashed from kids throwing stones and people hang their washing on the side of the tracks. I also heard that the train will take just 37 minutes to get to Bandung from Jakarta. Does that mean we should all start buying property in Bandung since satellite towns like BSD will become less attractive to live for those working in Jakarta? Anyone know the latest news on this matter?

I know that the train windows are not all smashed as you describe and that the railway here is no different to malaysia or thailand.
The trip on the train to Bandung is a great journey and goes through amazing country side.

I think perhaps the bullet train is another blue sky idea no really takes any notice of and therefore wont be happening any time soon.

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/2460/IMG_9090a.jpg

Yes Luke that journey is a really lovely journey, taken it so many times. I've also been on trains without the broken windows but on my last couple of trips in December it was on the Argo Parahyangan which is supposedly an executive train most of the windows were cracked or fractured in our carriage which is a real shame. It's caused by kids throwing stones as the trains pass between Jakarta and Cikampek.

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/2460/IMG_9151a.jpg

Luke you may well be right about the trains in Malaysia and Thailand although I've never taken a train in either country myself, though I used to take the Argogede between Bandung and Jakarta quite a few times a few years before you came to Jakarta and that was always in a good condition. But just this last trip found that basically every window in the carriage had cracked windows. I guess we were just unlucky with this one.

lukereg wrote:

I know that the train windows are not all smashed as you describe and that the railway here is no different to malaysia or thailand.
The trip on the train to Bandung is a great journey and goes through amazing country side.

I think perhaps the bullet train is another blue sky idea no really takes any notice of and therefore wont be happening any time soon.

I have read some recent articles in the Jakarta Globe about bullet trains between Jakarta and Bandung which is very interesting and exciting development for Indonesie. It said that Japan had sweetened it's offer to beat China for this project.

I would like to see this blue sky idea that nobody takes any notice of and therefore won't be happening any time soon will happen soon because 36 minutes is very quick and Rp200,000 is not expensive and Japan says they will open a factory in Indonesie to make spare parts for the train.

No offence to Mike, but I 100% agree with what Luke says that it ain't ever going to happen.

I do not know if it will happen or no, but now the price of tickets of about Rp100,000 so if it will cost only Rp200,000 and to get such a high quality train and such a quick trip will make a very big difference to many people. I can see the advantage of living in Bandung with a 36 minute trip instead of driving or taking public transport from outer city townships that take 2 hours  or more to get to Jakarta.

But if this project ever happens then it will be a big step forward to Indonesie.

The biggest issue with this project is the land acquisition and the time it takes to sort that out. If they can get past that and the amount of bribes and red tape then I will look forward to riding it. But like the highly publicised Airport train, I think it will just keep getting derailed due to unnecessary paperwork.

If it happens, Bandung area will be wide open, and will be getting pretty expensive, so early bird buying would be nice, but IF it not gonna happen, what is normal here , you screwed..

well its not going to happen anyway as predicdted, and for us yes 200 k is not much, but for the " regulars " its still a lot of money every day, so the commutors will be rich Indonenesians or turists it would open jawa barat a lot, should it ever happen I will be as many others to buy some nice property in the mountains, but then you have to be very quickly before the big developers are destroying the land prices, well anyway it not going to happen. As stated by the government it cannot be partial paid for by the government budget, very clearly stated, and china and japan did not do this if it was purely a privat investors project it would be happening, but now no, more important things to do with a couple of miljons, like creating infrastructure in the outer islands, or traffic ( :( ) in Jakarta.