How about expenses in Singapore ?

Hi, Can anybody advise... for a family of 3 how is the salary package of SGD 70,000 / Annum + Medical on actuals up to 1 Month salary in a year. It is possible to save out of this anything ?

Regards
PPPG

Hi PPPG,

I invite you to browse through the discussions on the Cost of living in Singapore which might contain the answers to your questions please :)

Thank you

Maximilien

Thanks. Also need to know the schooling facilities for Indians and possible range of expenses.
Regards
PPPG

For a general overview of price levels visit www.numbeo.com
Singapore is among the most expensive places on earth, but how much you actually spend depends largely on your lifestyle and spending choices. With your salary, it will be possible to live a simple life for a family of three, but if you want to save anything you need to avoid luxuries like exotic food, alcohol, cigarettes, maid, car, travel (incl. home trips), etc.
Your biggest single expense will be rent. Budget a minimum of S$2500/month for this, more if you want to stay central or in a Condo with pool and gym.
Local schools cost around S$500/month, but it's difficult to get a foreign kid into the local system. International schools cost S$1500-3000/month.

Thanks beppi, I was expecting these expenses. But how about expenses with simple life style like no much outing...once a month. No habits like alcohol..parties. I hope it will be around 2500 (acco)+1000(food)+1500(sch)+ 500(misc)...
As company provides transport+medical what else will be required apart from these ? If I have idea then I can stretch n bargain.... Regards.

Of course it is possible to survive on less. Many of your fellow countrymen come as (construction or similar) workers with salaries of S$1000-1500 and even manage to send money home every month. But my idea of pleasant is different.
I personally think S$1000 for food and S$500 for others is too little for a family of three, and S$3000 for rent is safer, especially if you want to stay not too far from work and/or have not much time for flat search in the beginning (does your employer provide a month of temporary housing at the start, as is common?). Also don't forget taxes, which, at about S$250/month for a S$70k/yr salary, are low but not negligible.
Just for comparison: The average Singaporean household has 3.5 people, earns S$7850/month and lives in government subsidized housing / visits local schools at prices unavailable to you.

Thanks I am getting into detail now. Temp. accommodation in the beginning, I will check it up for that with employer.
what is being offered is 72 K + Bonus of 2 months salary ( 12 K ) + Medical on actual up to max. 1 month salary per year ( 6 K) + Health insurance + Air Tickets for self n Family ( one time to join ) + 4 weeks paid holidays in a year.

How it is for a family of three ? if rented house (approx 2500) in moderate area even if 30 mins away from work place no problem. So other major expense will be schools (approx 1500) + Food ( 1000 ) majorly home cooked + 1000 (others) in total approx. 6000 / Month , Then averagely only bonus part can be saved. Please advise.

Regards.

What advise do you still need?

Means according to my guess of 6000/Month, I hope only bonus part of 12,000 can be saved per year. It is so or any other major issue is there ? I need advise on this. Regards Pravin

I already gave my opinion above:
How much you spend (and subsequently how much you will be able to save) is largely up to your decisions.
What other advise do you need?

Finally I am deciding to accept offer of SGD 84000/annum + medicals reimbursement as per actual + health insurance + one week stay to begin at company's cost + Accomodation help to search & advance as loan for deposit if any + Air Tickets first time joining for self and family for their subsequent arrival to Singapore.
What about transport facilities there ? Even though I have been told by employer that company bus will be available for daily routine transit to home and office. In case of late normally separate vehicle is arranged in case required.

Will be thankful for any advises  ... welcome.

Regards.