Time to rewrite obsolete sayings ....

There are two old famous sayings -

1.  " Frailty ,  thy name is women ..." from Hemlet by Shakespeare

2.  " Dhol   Ganvar  Shudra , Pashu  Nari , yeh sab tardan ke adhikari " from Ramcharit manas by Tulsidas
Literal meaning- drums, illiterate, of lower caste, animals, and woman deserve a beating .

I donot agree with above quotes .. what do you think ?  too male chauvinistic for me  ...

I think you'll have a hard time rewriting Shakespeare and having it be accepted by the world. Unless it's "hamlet and zombies" since that seems to be a trend now.

what is your point in posting this? Do you think someone's going to say "oh yeah, those are still totally true and relevant" on a public internet forum?

Hi Nagina, :)
Oh yeah, are those still totally true and relevant today?   :o

I can't say much about shakespear because i dont know  but yes Tulsidas was wrong... and how we called him mahakavi is really surprising......

Even in ancient times China believes women don't have soul...........you are absolutely right haileyin

Nagina wrote:

2.  " Dhol   Ganvar  Shudra , Pashu  Nari , yeh sab tardan ke adhikari " from Ramcharit manas by Tulsidas
Literal meaning- drums, illiterate, of lower caste, animals, and woman deserve a beating .

I donot agree with above quotes .. what do you think ?  too male chauvinistic for me  ...

Hi Nagina, :)

What do you think changed from the time your quotes were said for the first time until today?  :/

Nagina wrote:

It is true that drums must be beaten to get a sound out of them.
As for the illiterate, the donkeys and women there is no need to beat them.  They have already beaten themselves.

Nagina, I am waiting for a new good topic from you ...  :par:

ECS wrote:

what is your point in posting this? Do you think someone's going to say "oh yeah, those are still totally true and relevant" on a public internet forum?

I am sorry for coming back to the topic after a long break.

I don't have any specific view point on this posting and never expected any comments  like you mentioned.To me  Expat  forum is the right place to share the thoughts with the members from different Culture , Nationalities and  Faith.  :)

aryavrat wrote:

Even in ancient times China believes women don't have soul...........you are absolutely right haileyin

OMG  we are soul less creatures ????????? ;)

Actually I am sick of reading and explaining these proverbs during my examinations … throughout my school and college days as a part of curriculum. This started from grade 11th and continued till I finished my Masters. I really didn't understand these  sayings  at that time and just  explained in the answer sheets what  ever was taught to us. Maybe I was not exposed to that maturity. 

Few days back I was teaching my son Figure of Speech  and suddenly he pointed out at this phrase from Hamlet. He asked me the name of the Figure of Speech used here and its meaning . I told him about Shakespeare's fondness using  Apostrophe and  Personification figure of speech and this is one of the best example of Apostrophe  to be quoted. To  answer remaining part of his question I had to pause and think what to tell a 12 year old boy ..  any ways I conveyed him literal meaning of the phrase … could not explain what  exactly it means .  How should I tell him that Hamlet has used this phrase to describe her Mother. I am worried in coming days he will have this kind of literature  including Hamlet in his studies . Will it not give him  a negative approach towards women ? Is it worth to have these kind of literature to be part of school  curriculum ?

Nagina wrote:
aryavrat wrote:

OMG  we are soul less creatures ????????? ;)

No .......no one is without soul.......its all idotic thoughts and believes....

Nagina wrote:

Actually I am sick of reading and explaining these proverbs during my examinations … throughout my school and college days as a part of curriculum. This started from grade 11th and continued till I finished my Masters. I really didn't understand these  sayings  at that time and just  explained in the answer sheets what  ever was taught to us. Maybe I was not exposed to that maturity. 

Few days back I was teaching my son Figure of Speech  and suddenly he pointed out at this phrase from Hamlet. He asked me the name of the Figure of Speech used here and its meaning . I told him about Shakespeare's fondness using  Apostrophe and  Personification figure of speech and this is one of the best example of Apostrophe  to be quoted. To  answer remaining part of his question I had to pause and think what to tell a 12 year old boy ..  any ways I conveyed him literal meaning of the phrase … could not explain what  exactly it means .  How should I tell him that Hamlet has used this phrase to describe her Mother. I am worried in coming days he will have this kind of literature  including Hamlet in his studies . Will it not give him  a negative approach towards women ? Is it worth to have these kind of literature to be part of school  curriculum ?

Wait once i reached India i will make PIL in supreme court to remove this from syllabus........or if you reached first you do this.......

aryavrat wrote:

Wait once i reached India i will make PIL in supreme court to remove this from syllabus........or if you reached first you do this.......

Thanks Anil for supporting and giving idea for PIL. I am really surprised why this never strike to me  :/ . I will keep you updated on this. Thanks.

Hi John
It is true that drums must be beaten to get a sound out of them.
I am totally agree ... no doubts

As for the illiterate, the donkeys and women there is no need to beat them.  They have already beaten themselves.
True

Nagina, I am waiting for a new good topic from you ...  :par:

Sure ... waiting for your come back to the Forum ...  :D

You are welcome Nagina.............
But i see one thing on you is .........you hardly reply to others posted topic...........may be i am wrong..........

Regards,
Anil

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR