New member heading to Damman...

Hi, I'm a Brit heading to Dammam in August for work (2 year contract). Single male aged 40 *gulp*. I've got no questions but this seems like a good discussion forum which I'll be checking out and I don't want to just lurk so I thought I'd say hello. Hope to meet some Dammamites and neo-Dammamites here... Cheers!  :)

Hi! :D
How are you finding it? I am also in my 40's gulp..lol..and was offered a job teaching english. It is a one year contract. I have not said yes or no yet so thought I would check the blog out to see what others think about living in Dammam..
How do you spend your time when not working? Are you in a compound?

I'm not yet there so I can't give any info, but I've accepted a position to start in August. As I understand from a little bit of online research and from looking through the forums here, Dammam seems like one of the better places to live in Saudi Arabia. My employer will provide accommodation but I don't think it's in a compound (not even really sure what a compound is - gated community for foreigners?). Hope you take the job and let us know if you do...

I am South African, accepted a job in Dammam a 5 year contract ( Loss control consultant)starting in May. My employer is offering me a accommodation allowance . Are there any Western compounds in the area ( Single status)

Hi all,

Gated community for foreigners-is what it exactly is and is more secure. There are sporting facilities and women are free from the "abaya" (veil) obligation. *if i spelled that correctly*

I have lived in all 3 major cities of the country and found the DAMMAM/KHOBAR/DHAHRAN region to be the best because. Most expats prefer to live in Khobar which is not far from Dammam. Infrastructure is modern and better in Khobar than in Dammam. There are no movies here. But you can drive to Bahrain which is about 90-120 mins drive from here and see movies. *or more*  :)

Dammam/Khobar is really nice compared to anywhere else in Saudia, is all i can say. Feel free to post replies should you want to know more. Happy to help.

Hello uplace!!

Welcome to Dammam!! been living here as long as i remember and i very much like it, I hope you will be enjoying your stay here as well!

Let us know if you need any help with anything :)

All the Best!!

Thanks very much 3dnan and live.ali - I appreciate your comments, best wishes and offers of help.
I'm very much looking forward to my stay - though a bit less after reading a book about Saudi Arabia in the 'Culture Shock' series. I was obviously aware of the rules and regulations which I have no problem with but it was revelations such as that the religious police can just enter your place whenever they want, and that if a foreigner is involved in a traffic accident (which appears not highly unlikely) then they will be blamed and suffer consequences even if it is clearly not their fault, Anyway, I guess such issues have probably been discussed on another thread/are for another thread...

@uplace
Whatever you read in the books unfortunately is not true. my colleague here deleted all pictures of his family and his vacation trips from his laptop thinking that his computer may be screened at customs. In real life this does not happen. he has now all his stuff back on his laptop and travel with it everyday. the religious police used to be strict and all but not anymore. These things are day of the past.

welcome to saudi arabia moolmag,hope u will fit perfectly

Thank you I arrive on Tuesday

...and how are you finding it, Moolmag?

Hi
also heading to Damman around the same time also my first time
I'm going to be working for Al Jehat JATCO
based in their office in damman
maybe we can share info
double gulp
speak soon pal
Martin

You are most welcome in Saudi Arabia :)

Cheers. Still haven't received my visa reference number which it seems I need to then be able to apply for the visa in the UK. It's been 4 months.... Is this normal?

Yes my friend , It takes long time in some cases

Regards,

Ahmed

Hi people
looking for information on property rental agents
or for people looking to rent out their apartment or flat in damman area or close
much appreciated
email me direct if easier
martinhamiltonmech@Gmail. com
thanks

25january wrote:

Yes my friend , It takes long time in some cases

Regards,

Ahmed

Yes, it has arrived after five and a half months. Now for the next step of the process... :D

Dammam is getting closer... :top: