Some questions about Norway

Hi,

I live in USA with my family here. I have 5 year old kid. My husband's job may get moved to Norway. I would like to know few things about norway.. Can you help me?
1. How is elementary education compared to USA and India?
2. Safety?
3. House rent?
4. Living expenses?
5. Indian community?
6. Decent Salary per month?

Thank You
Meena

Hi Meena,

As you posted on an old topic, i created a new thread with your questions on the Norway forum, it can help you to receive more precise and more up to date information from the members. :)

Do note that the questions that you are actually asking have already been debated and you may find these topics on the Norway forum itself.

Concerning your question regarding accommodation, i think that the article Accommodation in Norway can provide you some useful datas. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

1. How is elementary education compared to USA and India? -- no idea but its free and mostly norwegian based

2. Safety?  -- yes  and no .  As usual there are some places which people would not like to visit late nights and stuff

3. House rent?  --  if you plan to live inside the city it would be anywhere between 12000 to 18000knr for  family

4. Living expenses? -- it is expensive ,food expenses per week for family should be 2500 for food . Transport & stuff is based on lifestype so I cant comment

5. Indian community? -- well I am from India too, but very few people here and there are communities around oslo.

6. Decent Salary per month? after taxes , for family it should be  25000+ with strict savings and simple lifestyle

vinay_0007 wrote:

6. Decent Salary per month? after taxes , for family it should be  25000+ with strict savings and simple lifestyle

Vinay. That looks too low. Half of their salary would go on rent alone! Meena. What kind of job will your husband have? Wouldn't his firm have TOLD him how much he'd be earning?

Vinay's number is at least higher than the salary required by the Norwegian government for family reunion:

http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate … in-Norway/

If you don't have a car (very expensive to have, fuel, and maintain in Norway) and are not crazy with the shopping, I could see this being achievable. I wouldn't call it a "decent" salary though.