What is it like in Guangzhou?

I am an Irish EFL Teacher who has been offered a post in Guangdong, Guangzhou. It will be my first teaching experience abroad, so a whole new adventure for me  :)  I will be teaching young children ages 6-12 (which is perfect for me). Outside of classroom time I am free to do as I like. What sort of things do people do in their free time in Guangdong? What is it like to go shopping there? What places will I find the best shops etc? What sort of hobbies do most people have? Are there any special occasions and festivals? What is the standard of living like? Do people socialize much or do they spend more time at home?

I have some knowledge of Chinese culture and customs, however I know living there is going to present different challenges and will require more than just the theory of China in general. Any tips people have about general life here would be useful as well :) Thank you very much  :top:

welcome shonacamm, when do you come to teach?
if you want to know more about gd, welcome to skype me: wsfsr129

Hi sarahxu,

Why don't you give useful information on the forum so that everyone can benefit from it?

Thank you,
Christine

Hi

I'm moving to Guangzhou in may although already living in china.

From other Expat.coms and sites Guangzhou looks more western friendly there where I currently live. Seems to be a lot of events and pubs that cater for expats.

We should be up sometime and explore together if you'd like.

I'm a Brit from southwest UK originally.

Holly

Hey Shona,
my name is livi, i'm from England but have relatives in Ireland and have been living here for only a week or so. Are you working near shenzhen? I live in shenzhen and it's a very international city with a fantastic metro that is in English also (both written and announcements). In terms of shopping this is the place to be! Life here is very convieniant and easy with good food, lovely people and good weather! I really enjoy living here and should you move over here let me know! :D

@Quickh00 and @livi-99, it would be lovely to meet both of you! :) Tell me about your experiences so far in China. I will add you as friends if I can (the website is still new lol)

Hey holly! Where on Guangzhou are you? I am currently living in panyu but looking to move to tonhe! :) just got here 4 days ago! Mandy x

Hey guys! Just moved to Guangdong, Guangzhou on Saturday! One problem is that my accommodation is 1 hour away from my school so I am looking to move close to Tonghe ( line 3 metro map) anybody know anyone who needs a roomie? Also, if we are all nearby, we should organise a meet up 😊