Renting a motorbike without a driver's license

Hi Guys,

I'm coming from Việt Nam for a quick visit to Cambodia and wondering if you can rent a motorbike that doesn't require a driver's license, such as a motorbike under 50cc (you can drive these in Việt Nam without a driver's license)?  If so where can you rent them in Phnom Penh?

I know of 20cc suzuki bike that travel less than 40km/h does not require one to have the license. A 50cc motorbike will require a bike license especially if you are stop by traffic police.

Hi

I've rented motos all over Cambodia for between 4-5 dollars a day usually honda dreams 125cc or honda win 110cc motos and I have never had a licence. I was stopped one time and the on the spot fine is $1 for foreigners and .50 for locals but the girl riding with me called her brother immediately gave her phone to the cop who then gave us a salute and let us go. The only problem is Siem Reap where you can't officially rent motos but you can go to the sala market on the road to Phnom Penh buy a used one for $250 with a guarantee buy back price so it's basically a rental. I've ridden from Kampot to koh kong a 6-7 hour one way trip on these $250  used motos and you can find a mechanic even in the middle of the jungle and believe me they can fix anything usually for $1-$2.

So you can find rentals everywhere in every city or town,  some will hold your passport as collateral but at captain Chims in Kampot they take my California drivers licence instead and give me a brand new honda win for $24 per week. Be careful in Sihanoukville because people rarely stop at stop lights and I was hit from behind because I made the mistake of stopping at a red light my first day in town. Also, they will provide a lock and I always use it. If your rental is stolen you will not get your passport back until you pay for the bike. I've seen it happen that's another reason I try to avoid leaving my passport if at all possible.

Good luck....

nice info.. any idea how much is the average buy back price from the original price?

Basically $5 per day is lost on the value of the Moto. I had a older honda dream for 12 days and got $190 back. But I also rented from a random person in Siem reap it had no brakes no mirrors so I got the brakes repaired, changed the oil, and bought new mirrors. Grand total $12 and I payed them $20 for the week. Really unless your going to the outlying temples like  beng mealea (1 hour)  or
koh Ker (2 hours) which are a bit of a ride you can really get around siem reap easily on a bike which cost $1 a day or grab a Moto taxi for $1.

is it $1 a day to rent? from what i've been reading, it's around $8. thanks for the reply