Moving to Ghana with Pets

We are Brazilians living in Angola for the past 2 years, and getting ready to move to Ghana. We have a Samoyed dog and a Persian cat that will move with us. There is not a direct flight from Angola to Ghana, and we are trying to find the best route to minimize stress to the pets. It seems like we are down to 3 options, stop in Namibia, South Africa or Portugal to catch a flight to Accra in the next day. I am concern about any paperwork that might be required to board the pets in Namibia (closest of the 3 countries). Did anybody had to go through similar flight schedule, i.e. stop in a country for transit during several hours with pets before reaching the final destination?

Hi,

I just moved to Accra with my dog from the Netherlands. We had a direct flight so I don`t know which paperwork you will have for your stop-over, however, for entering Ghana with pets its good to get in contact to the "Pets Place" in Accra, you can easily find the contact via the internet.
Also have a look at some earlier postings here, they were helpful for me:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=79096

We arrived just some days ago and everything is fine. The only challenge for our dog is now that she is just staying on the compound as we are afraid to go for a walk due to the wild dogs running around. Also she realy miss to play with other dogs, but I strongly hope she will be fine soon.

I wish you all the best, good luck!

Katherina

Does anybody know the NOVOTEL in Accra? It is the only pet friendly hotel I could find.
Also, does anybody know a good hot in Windhoek (Namibia) that accepts pets? We will have a flight connect and due to the Air Namibia flight schedule we will have to stay overnight.

Hello! I am from Brazil as well and I arrived in Ghana in january 2014 with my dog. I came throught Lome, but I know that European countries and South Africa ask for many exams, I don't know about Namíbia, but I think it must be the best country to come. If you need something that I can help, my e-mail is [email protected]
Good lucky!
Beatriz.

Thanks Beatriz. What about the Ghana's Import Permit? Did you get it before arriving or just paid the penalty?

Rgds,
Anderson

Actually I didn't know about this permit in Ghana. I got a import permit at Brazil and paid a fee for the airline flight. When I arrived in Ghana, I only needed to show the documents ( brazilian's import permit, showing all my dog's vaccinations) and the receipt that I paid to the airline. It was very easy in Ghana, I only had problems in Brazil. And I didn't paid anything here.

I hope I had help you! If you need anything else, just ask!

Thanks.

Let's see how it goes...

Rgds,
Anderson