Issues that faces new expats

Hi all,
I am Ahmed from Egypt, 27 yrs old, I am thinking about moving to Malaysia but I have some concerns:
- an expat cannot buy an apartment or a flat for less than 1 million RM, is that true?
- finding a job for expats is difficult, I am a senior software developer (java), is that true for me?
- what is the salary range that is considered appropriate for good living in Malaysia?
- Are there any other issue that faces expats when settling in Malaysia?
Your help is much appreciated. :)

Hi I think you are letting the tail wag the dog. "considering moving to Malaysia" should come AFTER You get an offer. Otherwise you should focus on applying for jobs around the world and when tou have offers think about that more.

Although yes now 1 million min to buy property but in kl that isn't a lot. Min salary if single 10k if married 15k with 2 kids >5 years old 20k as school fees are horrendous.And the price if cars is unbelievable.

Getting a job isn't easy, but quite doable in your case.

aelhadidy wrote:

Hi all,
I am Ahmed from Egypt, 27 yrs old, I am thinking about moving to Malaysia but I have some concerns:
- an expat cannot buy an apartment or a flat for less than 1 million RM, is that true?
- finding a job for expats is difficult, I am a senior software developer (java), is that true for me?
- what is the salary range that is considered appropriate for good living in Malaysia?

Why Malaysia? :)

You have better chances of finding a job if you are a white man or belong to one of the English speaking countries cause lol obviously they worship whites in South East Asia.

:cheers:

Thanks all for your feedback,
I chose Malaysia because of its strong economy, friendly people, affordable cost of living, great education and healthcare services,
it is rated 29th in the Global Peace Index (Egypt is 113)
Also I am a Muslim and Malaysia has 60% Muslims so the cultural deference will be acceptable
Also I love tropical atmosphere and natural beauty of Malaysia :) 
Guide me if there is a better place with these advantages, also I need to know if it is a good choice regarding my work field(4 yrs experience in software development with a Bachelor's degree)
Also I am white and good in English :)
I appreciate your comments :)

Ileenavan wrote:
Nemodot wrote:

Hi I think you are letting the tail wag the dog. "considering moving to Malaysia" should come AFTER You get an offer. Otherwise you should focus on applying for jobs around the world and when tou have offers think about that more.

Although yes now 1 million min to buy property but in kl that isn't a lot. Min salary if single 10k if married 15k with 2 kids >5 years old 20k as school fees are horrendous.And the price if cars is unbelievable.

John C. wrote:
aelhadidy wrote:

Hi all,

Why Malaysia? :)

Yes, why Malaysia?  :)  after all you must find a job offer first like what nemodot said, only then you would consider to move (at least you already secured a smooth pathways to the country)  ;)  with easeness.  :top:

Nemodot wrote:

Min salary if single 10k if married 15k with 2 kids >5 years old 20k as school fees are horrendous.And the price if cars is unbelievable.

Oh, these numbers seems too much, do you think my field gets these range of salaries? (4 yrs experience in software development with a Bachelor's degree)
Thanks for your comments

Omar Salim wrote:

You have better chances of finding a job if you are a white man or belong to one of the English speaking countries cause lol obviously they worship whites in South East Asia.

A broad statement. In my 40+years of coming and going from southeast asia I have never come across any worship of white people. 
I would be interested if you could give some instances of this 'worship'

There is no free education for foreigner children so don't count on that. You would need about RM3,5k per month per primary child and more for middle and senior pupils.

I think "white" refers to anyone from a colonial country - and I agree that there is not too much interest these days paid to "white buggers".......

:offtopic:

As for salary I know many get paid less, but a big mistake. Obviously though if one is coming from a  "failed state" (eg Pakistan, Egypt, Syria - where the government has collapsed and no real opportunities) then I understand taking lower, but it does mean no savings and being careful.

For a 27 year old and 4 years experience 10k isn't that high. You should at least start with that number and maybe end up with 8k (those that know work permits know why I picked that salary!)

You remind me years ago when I first came here I said to a Malay "is your wife Egyptian?" he was so pleased and happy. Someone said I had complemented him as I was saying she was fair and beautiful. Actually I thought she looked like a "back end of a bus" and rather "homely" and I really meant was she a foreigner :lol:

White man worship? My Malaysian ex told me if I went to the gym "skinny Chinese girls" would line up to steal me. So I sneaked off to a gym and waited for the line of sexy young Chinese girls to form. I waited....and I waited.....oh come on worship me!!! Never happened  :dumbom:

At the moment you can still buy an apartment for less than a million ringgit, but it's going to change in the next few months.

If you have the funds to buy an apartment in Malaysia then why don't you consider moving to Indonesia? Everything is cheaper there, property is cheaper, the government welcomes investors so it's easy to start your own business without making a large investment, and the people are friendly. Also, I think it is easier to find a job there.

Indonesia work permits are 10x worse than here! Malaysia is actually foreigner friendly for Asia IF you have the skills.

The best way is to look anywhere in a region and take the best offer career wise.

And buying a property is silly right now. Over inflated. And not a good idea "off the boat". But if you meet a nice girl and settle down you can buy for less. The limit isn't a hard limit but a guideline.

Agree that work permits in Indonesia are very difficult to get. But starting your own business is easy as Indonesia welcomes foreigners who start new businesses. It's very easy. Also, since Indonesia is a huge manufacturing base the possibilities are endless. I just bought a couple of large old houses there that cost about RM100k each. Couldn't do that here in Malaysia because as we know here in Malaysia property prices are high, stagnant and the government is trying to make housing affordable to normal Malaysians. Franchises in Indonesia start off very cheaply and it's easy to work with manufacturers because they trust gwailos.

I always feel that if you have a little money and enough common sense then anyone can do their own business.

Even in Malaysia, I have lots of friends who are selling online and making upwards of RM30k per month.

Indonesia just happens to be easier than Malaysia. So my point is that anyone who is considering moving to Malaysia and who has money to be able to buy property might be better off considering Indonesia for investment and for starting a business, especially as the Malaysian property market is stagnant. However, for those with paid salaries then Malaysia is also fine.

Thank you all for your feedback,
really appreciated  :)

Hi Mike
Any link or website of Indonesian government allowing business categories for foreigners?
I hear there are so many restrictions for foreigners to start a new business.

If you go to the Indonesian part of this Expat.com you will find out more about it as there are lots of experts there too. I plan to move there in the next couple of years because Malaysia is becoming too complicated and less business opportunities here than in Indonesia. I've had the MM2H social visa for about 5 years and bought a few properties but this country is coming out with too many new rules and regulations to take advantage of westerners that it is not all that interesting anymore. To a certain extent, Indonesia is still a much less developed country with a lot of potential where foreigners can do well. Foreigners are also treated better there than in Malaysia.

So it's worth to go to the Indonesian Expat.com and ask your questions with the experts. One thing though, in Indonesia you can "pay" to get things done whereas in Malaysia it is no longer easy at all  :)

Phheeeew  :joking:

Don't make me work to go looking for Indonesian websites. Instead go to either the Jakarta or the Bali forums and they will tell you everything, a lot more than here in the Malaysian forum. Sorry I don't do all that researching info in the web. you'll get detailed answers in the other forums in Indonesia. Try asking Mas Fred. He seems to know quite a bit.

My own background is import/export but I have worked in oil & gas exploration, freight forwarding and commercial manager for heavy industrial plant projects as well as running a garment buying office/export company for ladies RTW.

There is always a way to do things. Hook up with a local Indonesian partner of girlfriend or whatever. But there are always easy solutions to doing things.