New members of the Ecuador forum, introduce yourself here

hi again louisb333[at]hotmail.com

looks like  i  may  be coming in abour 30 days  but dont think i can make it to cuenca, cause i'll probably be first in guayaquill and second around salinas to check things  out there..... as cuenca and quito    maybe too  high altitude, or also  cold at night for   my delicate bones and guayaquil is too humid but all the civil services are  there in case i do decide to go for the [pensioners visa.

i agree whole heartedly with your philosophies!

sincerely

carolyn hunter

kayell wrote:

Is it possible to live very simply as a expat in Ecuador? The fancy 3-4-5 bedroom places just put me off. The supermarkets are not my thing. I only use them here in the states for things like avocados, coconut, out of season veg and fruit, coffee and chocolate. Most everything I get at the farmers market in town. The fancy thing I need is internet!

Hopefully in 5 years time I'll have some semi-decent Spanish speaking skills. While I'd like some expat company too, I want to live in Ecuador, not a expat compound.

The answer to the first part of the question is, obviously, that each of us can live as simply (or unsimply) as we like. My place, in Quito, is two smallish bedrooms -- it's in a gated compound, but almost everybody else seems to be Ecuadorian.

Not sure what Vilca and Cotacachi are like, but I think you should be able to find the sort of place you're looking for. You definitely will benefit from working on your Spanish.

Kayell:

In Quito, I seldom mixed* with other expats (other than at Spanish school), so I was under no pressure to alter my lifestyle in any way. To the best of my knowledge, I didn't even run into many, though no doubt I did.

In a smaller city with a higher proportion of expats (e.g., Cuenca/Vilca/Etc), perhaps things might be different, though I doubt other expats would put too much pressure on you.

Compounds are available anywhere, I guess, but so are non-compound places. Shouldn't be tough to find whatever you want.  As for being steered into pricey places, certainly many real estate people will get dollar signs in their eyes when they see a gringo face, but resisting them is just a matter (in my opinion) of making your wishes and your budget clear. And if they don't get it, move on to another one (there's no shortage).

Bob

* I'm currently back in the US

Hi, My name is Joel and I was just in Cuenca for the Month of May. I've  lived in SE Florida for the past 38 years and I couldn't get used to the altitude or climate and spent the month on rx pills' I was looking for similar qualities as you. Check out Loja, Yungilla and that area. Much more rural and quitter than Cuenca,

Hello, I am presently residing in Valle de Bravo, Mexico.  I have been here for two years.  I am planning a trip to Ecuador soon and may live there.  I would love to connect with ex pats there.

HI--
I am re-locating to Ecuador at the end of June--perhaps our paths will cross--are you moving soon?

Hello. I am thinking of going there soon. I mainly live in Valle de Bravo, Mexico and will be there soon. I wish to travel to Ecuador soon, have car.

Hi,  I am planning on relocating to Cuenca in the near future.  I have read about its low cost of living, serenity and great culture.  I retired from the federal government in 2007, after a career of over 32 years in the international field.  Because I was born and raised in Chile, I am entirely bilingual.  I am planning on visiting Cuenca for 2 weeks in mid September. I look forward to meeting some expats in the community and getting some advice on reasonable and safe areas in which to rent on a short or long term basis.

Already introduced myself  onsite in the Loja section.  I am not new -- lived in Quito 3 years and know Ecuador pretty well.   THink I can assist others and continue to learn.  Susan in QUito

My husband Jerry and I (Dorothy) came to Ecuador last year to look around. After traveling to several locations for three months, we settled on Cotacachi, which is where we are now for the entire summer this year. We live in Arizona so coming here for the summer is a greatescape from the heat.

I have been driving from Philadelphia, PA with my dog and a friend since January and am now in Santa Ana, Costa Rica awaiting the sale of my van and shipment of items to Quito, Ecuador so I can book a flight and start a life somewhere in Ecuador. Not quite sure where in Ecuador since I have never been there before. I am a photojournalist and am also interested in opening a small restaurant/bar. The restaurant idea came to me as travel and finding good food on a budget was extremely difficult and I missed certain foods that I enjoyed living in a big city as well as having good, organic ingredients to cook in a kitchen. I will stay in Quito for a week or so and then set up a temporary home base, rent a vehicle and explore the country so I may find a more permanent home. I would like the convenience of a city and the plethora of restaurants and markets providing fresh meats, vegetable and fruit, etc. for the restaurants and home, but do enjoy a bit of space for myself and for my dog, Jake. I would be without an owned vehicle for a while so walking would be the desired mode of transport. If anyone could give me any ideas and/or locations that sound like they may suit me, I would appreciate any help given!

Hi gardener1!
Thank you so much for the link!

I have visted ecuador last year ...very nive place

I am a freelance writer living in Quito for 2.5 years.  Previously lived in Chile and Argentina form 2 years.
Am  looking for opportunities to connect with others to practice Spanish and sort out the cultural milieu here in QUito. 
Love to travel and hike on a budget.  Appreciate new contacts and will respond -- cafecito , anyone?

I am coming to Cumbaya just outside Quito--next week and will be living there . I speak about an intermediate level in Spanish but will be taking courses as my intention is to become more fluent within a year. I like to hike and am very active.

Barbara, I didn't see you post in any of the groups I suggested and you haven't responded to any of my posts. Do I say something to offend you? I hope not. Good luck in Ecuador. Please let me know your experiences for my website. I am trying to focus on Canadians.

HI--NO!! not at all--I just use this site right now but I will for sure go back and check--please do re-send the other sites you are referring to. I am arriving in Quito next Monday--where are you??  :)

London, Ontario. The groups were Facebook groups, some for ExPats and some specific to Canadians. Just do a search and they'll all show up. Safe trip. I'm jealous.

Thanks--I'll do that--don't be jealous--just make the move that many do. AHHH! The good life------

We are the Allen's and we will be retiring in 4 1/2 years or less. We are going to Ecuador in March or April to expore the beautiful country and decide if this is all we think it is for retirement.

I am new to the Ecuador Forum, but not new to Expat.com. For the last 4-5 years, I was an expat in the Middle East, so I knew where to go for info when I decided to relocate again.

I'm generally looking for information on the Loja area, as I have found, other than a few articles, there is very little information about the city to be found on the Internet. As I am house-hunting, I was hoping someone here might know of a good real estate company I might contact before I arrive there.

Anyway, thanks for this offer to introduce myself.

In peace and gratitude...

Had a great massage today from Deborah here in Cotacachi. I highly recommend her. Reasonable price, very good.

hi pls help in getting to come there with family...

shivashankar2612 wrote:

hi pls help in getting to come there with family...

Welcome. What sort of help do you need?

Hi everyone,

Just recently discovered this blog.  My name is Ryan, 30 yrs old, originally from North Carolina, and I've been living in Ecuador for about 2 years.  I currently work as a consultant for Ecuador's Ministry of International Trade, and previously worked in higher education accreditation here.  I live and work in Quito.  I am not too familiar with the expat community here, so I figured I'd check out these forums a bit.

Hi, my name is Mick, I'm a 62yrs old Brit, retired,divorced, English/Irish & now living in Branson,Missouri.
I have travelled quite a lot, mainly Europe, but have travelled the whole of the west coast of the USA in motorhomes from Mexico into Canada (BC) & as far inland as Yellowstone Park/Utah/Arkansas.
Last year l visited Nepal, Sri Lanka & Thailand, & would not want to retire to any of those places.
(Sri Lanka would be a possibility as l have a friend there, but the Government seems to be corrupt!)
Anyway, any help or advise on a rooky to anywhere in SA would be appreciated, & I'm planning on visiting Cuenca & other areas in October this year (2014)

Senor Clarke 1941:

Suggest you check out GRINGO TREE in Cuenca and subscribe if you like what you read --   It is a great outfit and read news on Cuenca High Life too.  Have the same owner, I think.   Each has a different approach but they tell it like it is and if you are looking for a particular type or cost of housing, or want to read what is available, there are good classifieds and recommendations from gringos in Cuenca.  So you can place your advert on GT!

I am a gringa in Quito for 3 years but in Ecuador,  Cuenca is a lovely old, very special city -- I have always enjoyed my visits there.   
Suerte,
Sue in QUito

Senor Clarke again:

Don't believe everything you read on the internet about Ecuador...Every country in the world has quirks, challenges and ups and downs.  And yes, Ecuador , for example, has had MANY seriously bad governments in the past 20 years which damaged the country, the people and the economy.  THings are more stable now and Ecuador is looking up... 

DO your own homework and decide first what you want for this period of your life, EXPLORE!  And if you still like the idea, get down here to the Northern ANdean region of South America, there's a lot to see and do -- make a trip and make up your own mind---YOU have to make YOU happy with a place.

So, for example,  going with a tour that is trying to sell you something (real estate, investments, etc) is a bad idea overall. International Living does that and I would avoid them at all cost.   THe people happiest here who stay for years have done it THEIR WAY --- and most will tell you they  found a good life here.     Suerte, Sue in QUito

Thank you.  That really helps me a lot.  I have noticed that most of the ex-pats are retirees.  We had 3 children later in life and would like to have a simpler way of living.

to all of you who have stuck with my travails for several months, to make a long...... true ........but hard to believe story .....in short, I have decided with all the many difficult challenges I face, that my better choice is go back to  the usa.

ive met many who don't believe those  many true challenges .......but  I say to them I hope you don't have to go thru half of what  I had to go thru .........and it seems ecuador is only for the  phisically fit.

to all who still are  fit, I hope you don't suffer as I have from physically diminished abilities in spite of expectations of understanding ...........instead of slings and arrow of some of the unexpected unbelievers.

this is my last blog as it is  not  possible to lower the cost of  living and lifestyle of those like myself who were taken in by glowing stories of successfully fit persons lives. thinking that somehow someone like myself who previously had a full and eventful  life, could somehow still have some of it still.

i wish for the best of those of you who try to make a go  of     it but remember me..... as a true example of  one who tried in spite of the   many challanges of an extremely unfit level of body......I did try...I did fail....but at least I did try.i returned home to orovile,  ca., with probably another case of   pneumonia, but a storehouse of memories of how hard I did try to make a go of it.

good by to all of you ....and good luck in your various adventures...and I don't hold it against you that  many of you do not believe this..............after all it is a primarily untruthful world most of us are exposed to. and to those of you  who unjustly do not believe I am telling the truth....which I am definitely telling complete truth. in each and all detail from start to finish...............your cautions are well warranted in many of those other persons stories.....

sincerely
Carolyn hunter, still alive, but just  barely 

ps the garzota inn across from Gyayaquil's airport, just got a new phone number   in addition to thr 2 others  but suspect it doesn't give access out to their guests on just only a whim, so I don't know  whether or not some actually checked  me out or just said so...... to Impress their friends,, but no matter...I go home knowing  just how things are there for someone with my extreme level of lifes challanges, and know that at least I tried,.....

Good evening Carolyn; I don"t know you, but I feel your pain...it is an untruthful world that we were born into, but just remember that it matters not what anyone thinks of you.  I thought that I was healthy, until I came to this country.  It is very physically challenging, especially if you were used to driving.  I experienced a severe tachycardia attack during the first month after arriving here.  I did not think that I was going to survive.  My mother recently fell head first, landing on her arm, and threw out her shoulder while attempting to board a trolly.  I've wanted to return to the states many times, but I am here to care for my elderly mother who will always be prioriry in my life. You are in our thoughts and prayers for a safe return. Take care, :cheers: Gypsy

Sorry there, uh, Carolyn, but I find your messages quite disturbing and as I mentioned before in my e-mails to you--I seriously believe you need help. You have accessed a site that  for the most part gives information --not personal counselling which you seem to need.

Yikes--another Carolyn

Best wishes, Carolyn.

Barbara Suderman wrote:

Yikes--another Carolyn

I am with you Barbara.  This site should be mainly for gringos to exchange information on settling in Ecuador.  Perhaps there is another blog out there where people can elaborate on their personal physical and emotional challenges at length.

Hi Everyone

I want to move to Ecuador , possibly on Investors Visa.
Has anyone gone through this process?

Thanks

Hola
My name is John.  My wife Cindy & I just retired 12/2013.  We want to visit Ecuador to explore the possibility of living there maybe six months a year.  We currently spend summers in the Pacific NW & last winter in the Tucson area.  We previously spent three weeks in Panama & really enjoyed the people, food, wildlife (birds in particular) & scenery.  We love adventure & travel and believe we would enjoy Ecuador.  We hope to visit next May when we return from another winter in Tucson.  We want to visit Cuenca because of the cooler weather.  However, I am concerned about the elevation.  Recently spent ten days in Colorado Springs at 7700 feet & felt bad most of the time.
We have been practicing our Espanol & will be taking more classes this winter.  Really believe that lack of Spanish hindered our visit to Panama so don't want to repeat that mistake!
My goal from this blog would be to begin meeting & networking with Expats in Ecuador so can can ask questions about Ecuador & how best to plan our visit.

We welcome any & all advise & tips!!

John & Cindy

Hi John!  Not sure the timing of your post, but I would be happy to network with you and assist you in any way I can with your exploration of Ecuador and Cuenca.  You are right that the elevation takes a bit of getting used to, but for some reason, perhaps because we are so close to the equator, the elevation doesn't feel like it does in Colorado.  And there are many place where you can explore living that are closer to 5000' rather than a bit over 8000' if you prefer warmer temps or more oxygen!  But it seems that with some period of adjustment living at a higher altitude has many health benefits.  I will be opening a business, a rooming house of sorts, like a B&B but offering more options and longer stays at a more reasonable price.  So keep me in mind if you are thinking of coming next winter as opposed to Tucson...I will run my operation from November through April or May each year.  The summer months, their winter, though dry, is very windy and much cooler, from what I am seeing today!  (just back for two weeks...finishing up my last half year of work in the USA)....hope to hear from you.  You can reach me directly at [email protected]
thanks,  Louis Bourgeois

JPaw wrote:

We want to visit Cuenca because of the cooler weather.  However, I am concerned about the elevation.  Recently spent ten days in Colorado Springs at 7700 feet & felt bad most of the time.

John:

Welcome to the forum. If you have physical problems with altitude, you might ask your doctor if acetazolamide (Diamox) will help. I have read/heard that it helps a lot of people.

I have no personal experience with it, as I was lucky enough that my body readily adjusted to the altitude in Quito, and I was OK after just a few days (a bit of coca tea was all I needed during the adjustment period).

Good luck.

Bob

I just returned from my first visit to Ecuador and I would suggest you try out Vilcabamba. I also recommend the Madre Tierra Hotel.

Vilcabama is simply on of the loveliest and tranquil places I have ever visited and I've been traveling for 45 years! It's also at a much lower altitude than Cuenca, and the temperatures always remain between the 70s and 60s.

Here is a YouTube video of Vilca:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXauuFSPMIA

Average rentals are about $200-$300/month, and the average house costs about $50/sq ft.

I hope you enjoy the video!

Closed