The other side of the Papua New Guinean postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Papua New Guinea, how would you describe the two sides of your Papua New Guinean postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

Post card                                                               The Other Side

Waving palm trees                              Dust so thick it coats everything you own
Long, sandy beaches                         potholes deep enough to dislocate bones
Tropical weather                                  Tropical storms that leave you without power
Exotic wildlife                                     Malaria and blood poisioning from Sandfly bites
remote, exotic locations                    Having to own a 4WD to get ANYWHERE
diverse, amazing cultures              Internecine violence between tribes, riots in your street
Having house staff                          House staff stealing you blind
Meeting other expats                The small town mentality of some small expat communities
Access to things only seen in
Nat Geo docos (Mud Men, Birds of Paradise)   Accessing these things can be very expensive

and usually involved a kidney-jarring six-hour

4WD death drive

Indolent expat lifestyle                              cockroaches, rats, ants and centipedes
Intrepidly starting a new life                      Realising that your politics/religion/morality is vastly

different from most of the other expats, leaving you

feeling intellectually isolated.

Great post, Julien! I'll add more as I think of them!

Thanks for your post purple goddess :)