The other side of the Moldovan postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Moldova, how would you describe the two sides of your Moldovan postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

Hi,

I have been visiting Moldova from UK for 13 years and have been living here full time for 1 year.

The other side of the postcard for me is the lack of service and civility in shops, restaurants or indeed anywhere I wish to purchase anything.

Seondly, the state of the roads outside Chisinau. I have driven pretty much all over Europe and have never experienced such poor infrastructure as in Moldova. Coupled with the totally poor standard of driving in Moldova this is for me quite an important issue to be addressed. 

Added to this is the never ending wait for anything required from the government. For instance, registration for a 1 year extended stay took 2 months to complete including the issue of an ID card. The second application for 2 years also takes 2 months, why is this when all my information is to hand on the departments computer????

Other than these issues Moldova has been and still is fine for me.