The other side of the Mauritian postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Mauritius, how would you describe the two sides of your Mauritian postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

It is question of self identification. Not like a passport of course, but sort mental act of blurring the borders of your own self identity. Obvious benefit of such act in leaving negative mentality of "why is it so bad in my country". People's patriotic feelings been brutally exploited by corrupt governments everywhere. Rather going into revolt and becoming part of mindless rioting crowd, why not to leave all  this mess to those populists who created it. I would rather watch it on TV.

Well To begin with I've never choose Mauritius, I didn't really care about beaches sun or some paradise island, I can enjoy it but when I'm traveling I'm looking for something else.

I'm here to work, and for my second job since I graduated, I'm here to learn and to start my career. From my country people said "wha what a great chance, enjoy ect" well It's been 1 month I've lived here, I've been to the beach 3 times (thanks to the rainy season ahah) and I was living in Flic en Flac! Working my ass off at work in Cyber city and I'm loving it.

What I like, I'll say my own postcard, is to understand, to meet people there, culture is so rich you always learn something. Eating, tasting also, you can say that i'm a food tourist.

Somehow living here as an expat it is like traveling for a long time, that allows me to go deeper in what I'm looking for, cooking some unknown vegetables for example ahah. Anyway at the end make some friends (locals and other), because it is really hard to make real friends abroad.

In my mind, when you moved to another country, you have to accept it for everything, same thing when you travel.
I'll say that instead of a postcard, a country can be a book, will you stop at the cover or discover the all book.

Tony

Wow this subject makes me want to sit around a table sharing food and booze and "refaire le monde" with some buddies.

yeah ... book is better then post card, agree. post card is too plain, and polarising.

I hope hope to see u tomorrow

Good experiences though.
learning many cultures and
people. But no place like home.
I am loving Mauritius.......

love in air in Maurce
buy blue jeans and white T-shirt
and get ready for a flirt

Many faces behind most comments on
the blog,was revealed yesterday at TAMARIN.

It was a good assembly. Thanks to Silvia and others who made it yummy...