The other side of the Jordanian postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Jordan, how would you describe the two sides of your Jordanian postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

I think both sides have been discussed from all aspects already... You should visit this forum more often  ;)

I lived in Amman a little more than 3 years and I could say that Jordan was a little bit of everything.

My first year was horrible, all I wanted was to go back home, i lived in other countries but it was my 1st time in a Middle Eastern country. Seriously speaking, people had staring problems: both men and women, the place was uncomfortably hot since i come from a city where the temperature only reaches as high as 28 degrees, work was too taxing (i'm diligent by nature and unlike East Asians, competition at work did not interest Jordanians too much), yelling, my goodness, yelling, people only think i can say two words... "ni hao", the food.. ugh!  and despite other people's kindness, there were just so many issues in between about living in Amman.

Thankfully, I had good people around that even with my obvious hate towards everything, they were too patient and adjusted themselves to my "foreigner attitude," adjustment, so to say. Then my second year in Amman became more bearable. I appreciated how Jordanians did not believe in the word "grudge," and how Christians and Muslims are capable of a harmonious relationship through mutual respect and acceptance. I never really thought that was possible until I came to Jordan. I also began to explore the country and its beautiful places. I started appreciating the culture, the people and the country, as a whole. I realized that Jordan was not limited to my working environment and the "balad," which I only visited twice in my entire stay.  It is a country with good people who have a very rich history. I discovered kunnafeh, makloobah and kabseh. I saw Jordan in a whole new light and I started having a different impression of everyone.

My last year was extremely heartbreaking, just when I was comfortable, my contract ended and I had to go home (forced). I gained so many friends during my stay in Jordan, people thought i was Jordanian because i spoke and understood Arabic unlike some of my colleagues, i became a regular piper (a self-confessed shisha fan) at my favorite cafe, i worked til 5 to be seen at the mall right after work, i knew all the streets around Amman and i always had weekend invitation for lunch at my sisters' homes (yes, im a nurse), who already called me family.

Amman has officially become my 2nd home and it will always be. I wish to return this year to visit my Jordanian families who have adopted me.

Jordan is a little bit of everything but mostly it is home.

Wow what an impressive story you wrote.
I guess it is always difficult to live in a country which is so totally different then yours.

I live here for more then seven and half years and to be honest I have a love/hate relationship with Jordan.
I don't have the "expat life".
I live here close with my inlaws only 5 minutes drive from my home.

I had a very hard time to adjust and sometimes I feel like I was not capable to understand the way of living.

There are many things that I like but even much what I dislike. Accepting the way how it is a great gift, like patience but I managed to cope with al the aspects of living in this country.

jordan is great country,im living in jordan since 4 year and married to jordanien man
kristina

The life is so relaxed and the people are so hospitality that gives you the warmth of a thick blanket.

Except when you are participate in the traffic.
Survival of the jungle is nothing compared with the survival of the fittest in the traffic.
Hospitality turns into disrespect to others and sharing into selfish behaviour.