The other side of the Gibraltarian postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Gibraltar, how would you describe the two sides of your Gibraltarian postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

Gibraltar as an ex pat from the UK   ( posted February 2014 )

I have lived in Gibraltar for 18 month and I have made the date of posting this clear as things in Gib change daily.   Everything official is SLOW, registering for anything involves pulling out your teeth as it's all about knowing who to ask.   Perhaps I need to write an "idiots guide to Gibraltar".    In a way that's Gibraltar and their way so you accept it and it's a beautiful geographical rock in a predominantly sunny and warm place.   

The big problem with Gibraltar is that a few rich ex pats will spoil this place for the rest.   I feel sorry for the Gibraltarians who seem powerless to stop progress and suffer the consequences.   Of course there are upsides, new cinema, new posh drinking and eating areas and the Gibraltar of today is a lot nicer than 10 years ago with a main street full of tourist driven shops and daily hustle and bustle.   What worries me is that I was used to the regulated UK and in Gib, corners are cut and you really do not know what to believe.   In parliament it seems the ruling party, regardless of which one is in power, is a law unto themselves and everything is kept secret and no one seems to know the truth.   

If you are rich beyond your wildest dreams and just want to use Gib as a tax bolt hole and not get embroiled in real life, I can imagine that you will be happy to live here as and when you please and vanish off the grid.   However, those people do not use "expat-blog",  people like me who work here and don't know what is happening from day to day use this site.    This past week has seen Norwich and Peterborough Building Society announce they are leaving the rock.   Barclays and Lloyds have also withdrawn services.   Nat West are not opening any new business accounts so how does a new business get banking services?   Yesterday I spoke to a business formation company who have been here 20 years and they are looking at options in Malta as there is no point being here.   Is this widely reported in the press here?  No, the news is made positive, everything is talked up, which is better in some ways to the UK BBC where I got fed up with the negativity.   But it does make me worry about Gibraltar because I feel the Gibraltarians will ultimately be the ones that lose out.

There is a plan to start building a World Trade Centre????  WHY, no one seems to know.   There are 30,000 people here, it's a small town, with limited space.   It's great that Gibraltar is in the European Championship, but they have to play home games in Portugal because relations between Spain are at an all time low.   This causes problems for people entering and leaving Gibraltar as border queues are still a problem.   This effects low earners who have to live in Spain as rents in Gibraltar run in excess of £1000 a month for a small apartment as opposed to 400 Euro in Spain.

So things here are strained and I have seen so many expats come and go.  The ones that leave in the main are disappointed after being let down by employers. 

However, the sun shines and Gibraltar is a very sociable place.   Meeting people is very easy, probably because it's a bit like the UK back when you could afford to buy a round.   Although it's cheap to drink and get merry those who choose not to drink are not getting beaten up by gangs of binge drinkers, I have not seen a single fight, it's all good natured, on the whole.   I have not witnessed or heard of crime.   The weather is a big winning factor, sunshine and warmth is a wonderful cure for the stress of the day :) 

So to sum up, if you have a job then give Gib a go.   If you are coming here to start a business, research before you come, it is not a great place for an SME or Self Employed, unless of course you want to deal in cash and run away at some stage, which of course is not advisable.    If you are tempted by working for the Government as an ex pat, be aware that it seems they offer a short term contract of a year and get rid of you after that year.   For Graduates in their early 20's, this can be quite upsetting after they get to love being here.   

Will I stay in Gib?   I have a Gib card and technically can stay here forever as I pay my tax here, I am not sure I will because it's starting to frustrate me and as people I know move to Malta I do find myself looking at options.   However, it's still a fascinating Rock with heaps of history and worth a visit as a tourist but research life here before making too big a commitment.

I hope that has been useful :)

HI

If all the banks are closing down and  Nat west are not taking any more New applicants what does a person do if he/she is coming to start a new job in Gibraltar regarding Banking and getting his salary paid???   

Please advice

Regards

Babs

A frank reply the world due to population increase and other factors is a changing place. Generally people in Govt are not to be trusted however in micro states have to be more careful for obvious reasons. GIB could if managed well could be a success story as long as the money is attracted there. The best you can hope for probably in any country is a decent healthcare and education system with a friendly population.