The other side of the Congolese postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in the Democratic Republic of Congo, how would you describe the two sides of your Congolese postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

How to describe life in the DRC...not an easy task! We have been fortunate enough to live and travel in many African Countries. or sure, the DRC is the most difficult one to live in and find things to love about it.  I will try to explain: Ghana has the most lovely beaches, Zambia has the friendliest people and game reserves, Kenya is well developed in many areas with a particular eye for tourism, Tanzania has spectacular lakes and awesome spices, tea and coffee,,,,etc, etc. The DRC has all the potential to have ALL of these, but they do absolutely nothing to make it happen. The question is WHY? There are beautiful lakes here as well - you just cannot get to them (no roads); if you love camping, forget it, there are a) no roads b) no facilities c) it is dangerous; there used to be good hospitals, now you sign your own death warrant if you dare go to one; the people have a mentality of "you give me money" (no work needs to be done to EARN anything, it looks like). The you have huge mining companies that should be able to bring some wealth into the Country  - say 'hallo' to bribery and corruption on an unbelievable scale. Yet, if you talk to ther expats that have been here for a few years, they will tell you about the progress that has been made in the past 5 years. Supermarkets, fuel stations and even many more vehicles are apparent. Restaurants have adapted some Western cultures and standards. There is still a very long way to go before this will be an 'easy' or lovely or stunning place to live in as an expat. I don't think it will happen in my lifetime...