The other side of the Cypriot postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Cyprus, how would you describe the two sides of your Cypriot postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

Well, if you are the biblical Jonah (of the whale) as I must be, I suppose it all has to do with timing. I lived in Venezuela for 10 years, a happy and fruitful life,,,,then Chavez came along; disaster!
Returned to South Africa in 1990....it became the "rainbow nation" under black government; disaster! (even with Nelson Mandela)
Left the killing fields for Cyprus....nice beginning, then banks collapsed; disaster!
Besides, as a gourmet chef,I find myself stranded in a country where all they know is overcooked meat and potatoes. This is not helped by a cheap "fish and chips" tourist trade. (that diminishes year after year)
The locals are complete cheapskates and pay their foreign maids 250 euros a month for full time 24 hours a day service 7 days a week.I have yet to live as an ex pat in any country (including Cyprus) where corruption does not rule. EU rules, particularly as applied to labor laws are non existent here and they do as they please with complete impunity.
Where to next?
UK? 1100 Euros to get an appointment at the Embassy to apply for EEA family permit!!. At least they have worked out how to put people off trying to get in!!

Disgruntled ex pat

we have just arrived here  - been here four weeks and like it a lot  - prefer it to Malta - mainly because its greener cleaner and the roads are far superior - fruit, veg cars water electricals rents etc are are cheaper than Malta but then eggs bread milk and electricity are more expensive - swings and roundabouts... the rest we have yet to experience but are looking forward to doing so -  but I must concur with guevon123 in terms of the corruption - it seems to be quite noticable and prevalent in the med area....EU rules seem to be flouted everyday and infringement notices see to be ignored - just as it was in malta. If that is what it is then why bother becoming a member - ah yes the money and support maybe the reason - who knows?