The other side of the Belizian postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Belize, how would you describe the two sides of your Belizian postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

The beauty of this country will make you gasp!

The poverty in this country will make you gasp!

If you have plenty of money all is good

If you are single and on a budget all is not so good

People think moving to a tropical island in Belize is a stress free paradise and it is in many ways.

If you are not retired and have to work to sustain yourself, the rat race often overshadows paradise.

I can only comment on Corozal Town.   Each town and district is different.

I enjoy the quiet & relatively clean air.   Housing is inexpensive when carefully selected.   Domestic labor is inexpensive.   Inland land purchase prices are modest.    Utilities are inexpensive for small amounts with significant financial penalties for higher usage.    crime is an issue.   corruption is pervasive.  financial exploitation of Gringos is an issue.   Belize is HOT, mid 80's to mid 90's every day.   every day, all year.  rarely cools much at night.   biting insects are persistent.   Goods and services are generally of poor quality. 

It is possible to live here comfortably at a reasonable cost, with adjustments in expectations.    We plan to stay.

Lived in Corozal also for two years. All of this is correct info. But there is more.. The electricity is actually in comparison to Mexico and the rest of C.A. the most costly. A friend over the border pays a fraction of what I paid. And if you check BEL  FB page you will find that the power was out for lengthy periods 10x in February. That is average. The roads are truly dismal...has to be experienced to be believed. Trash is everywhere. Sick and dying dogs are also a common sight. The poverty is appaling while government lackeys drive Hiluxes. Basic medical care is very good. Anything more could lead to premature death. The Corozal Hospital could have been used on the set of the film Gettysburgh (1993).
Although Belizeans are superficially friendly I could only form reciprocal friendships with very few. Generally you are viewed as a mobile ATM. They are also very noisy. But that's just cultural. Long nocturnal parties beginning at 6pm and ending at 10 am next day. With heavy use of bass sounds that reverberate through your chest wall like an angina attack.
Belizeans have the highest per capita consumption of alcohol, cannabis, and the highest birth rates in the region. I believe that it is a defence against depression. If you are drunk, stoned and well laid you are less in a state of despair.
However in Corozal there is hope for the ex pat and it is called Chetumal Mexico. First rate medical care, Walmart, SAMs, and a big ass mall. Smuggling goods is possible if you are skilled. But that's another entry.
Sure as shit ain't paradise.

Agree with everything you said ,may be true.
But almost everything you said goes along with poverty and lack of education. (not justifying anything).
Uneducated people are skeptical ,afraid of your friendship.
We have some of those problems you had described in parts of US ,may be not dead dogs.
If you did not grow up as one of those Belizians , how can one judge. (Again I am not condoning bad behavior).
A helping hand with a ton of patience may help a little, may make a dent .
If you see a dead dog in the street in your neighborhood may be you should take initiative to bury it. Others may follow you ,then again may not.  If you see trash dump popping up on the side of the street talk with Chief Engineer and offer to help (I have).
Kindler, softer,low profile ,"and nothing in return expected" attitude may help

DR....what you said is your truth, but what I've found out in living in Corozal for over a year is my truth. This sure is not Miami Beach....but when you come to a 3rd world country....did you expect to find San Francisco?

People survive here the best they can, some people arrive here with lots of money and can soon become disappointed. Me myself and I, well I get along with the Belizean's  because I live the way they do.

With all your complaints, you left out the fact how many old men come here looking for young girls....some get lucky some don't.

I would also add for us poor folk, rent a place where everything is paid, I have cable, and wifi all paid by my landlord no hidden expenses....makes it easy for a guy on a budget.

DrAls wording may seem harsh, however, I agree with his observations.    His point is that there are other places in Central and So America that are less expensive and with fewer issues for ex-pat retirees.   People who are under the illusion that Belize is "cheap" are mistaken.   Also, I do not believe the problems are caused by poverty.   Poverty is a separate issue with other causes and effects than those mentioned here.   The problems here seem to be caused by a cultural belief system, perhaps due to colonialism, as well as pre-colonial beliefs.  Belize has been independent for less than 40 years.

The issue of older men preying on the ignorance and financial vulnerability of young women & girls, is extensively practiced and tolerated.   Both Belizeans and non-Belizean men are involved.   The line between pedophilia and age of consent seems to be significantly blurred.   Violence against women, including rape is tolerated and wide spread.

I have lived elsewhere in the Caribbean, without the problems that are present in Belize.     

Yes , I do know the problems being discussed here exist everywhere, but not as much.

[Moderated: inappropriate post]

Poverty has nothing to do with lack of happiness,distrust,crime ,and in general make one do crazy things ,some of them illegal (and should not be tolerated) ?
If there are better countries in CA and SA  more attractive to Ex Pats ,more people will abandon their quest to move to Belize and eventually the flow of people from foreign countries(along with their money) to Belize will slow down or cease. The migration market will correct itself.

Spiceman39 wrote:

Poverty has nothing to do with lack of happiness,distrust,crime ,and in general make one do crazy things ,some of them illegal (and should not be tolerated) ?
If there are better countries in CA and SA  more attractive to Ex Pats ,more people will abandon their quest to move to Belize and eventually the flow of people from foreign countries(along with their money) to Belize will slow down or cease. The migration market will correct itself.

HUH....I don't understand anything you just said

It is ok,It is about another posting .
I believe every person deserve respect.