An insight into life at Rosarito beach

Would anyone have an insight into life at Rosarito beach, just south of Tijuana? I'm mostly interested in golfing and windsurfing.

Hello knucklehead,

Since you posted on an old thread, a new discussion was created as from your post on the Mexico forum for better visibility.

When was the last time you went to Rosarito beach?

Regards,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

knucklehead wrote:

Would anyone have an insight into life at Rosarito beach, just south of Tijuana? I'm mostly interested in golfing and windsurfing.

I have been going there for many years and have a Mexican family I know there. Apparently recently there is a crime spree going on and many Expats in the area have been taking many precautious a few years ago that were not necessary. Hopefully things will get back to normal in the future.

Your best bet now in Puerto Vallarta which is loaded with Canadian and American Epats and has all you want and is safe and friendly. Surfing and windsurfing is good in Sayulita about a 45 minute drive on the highway out of Puerto Vallarta heading for Tepic and Guadalajara and is very quaint and has a surf school right near the many Palapa restuarants and bars on the beach.

Bucerias has a good selection of the same and always friendly Canadians and Americans sitting on the beach to chat with and only about 15 miles from PV. I have 2 friends from Canada that winter there in PV and 1 in Bucerias and have for 4 or 5 years and havenŽt a bad thing to say about the place, yet.

There are some golf courses and good medical facilities there.

Thanks. I'll try to do some online research on golfing in Puerto Vallarta. Can anyone weigh in on the quality and value of golfing in that area?

alleycat1 wrote:

I have been going there for many years and have a Mexican family I know there. Apparently recently there is a crime spree going on and many Expats in the area have been taking many precautious a few years ago that were not necessary. Hopefully things will get back to normal in the future.

Can you expand on what type of crime and the precautions that everyone is taking? Is it petty street crime or more violent crimes that are occurring? Day and night? Are they targeting certain establishments/areas? Are the police doing anything to crack down, or are they part of the problem? Thanks in advance.

knucklehead wrote:
alleycat1 wrote:

Can you expand on what type of crime and the precautions that everyone is taking? Is it petty street crime or more violent crimes that are occurring? Day and night? Are they targeting certain establishments/areas? Are the police doing anything to crack down, or are they part of the problem? Thanks in advance.

1 of 2 kidnappings less than 2 weeks ago for example!

http://www.el-mexicano.com.mx/informaci … o-de-table

"PLAYAS DE ROSARITO.- An armed and hooded squad, armed with AK-47s, entered a "table dance" on bulevar Popotla, and kidnapped the manager of the establishment while they fired inside and outside, which caused terror among the customers in the tourist zone.

According to police reports, the events happened around 10PM on Saturday at the "Doll House" table dance, located at kilometer 29 on bulevar Popotla.

The squad, made up of five men with black caps, broke in with large caliber AK-47 rifles called "goat horns," they strafed the interior and forced the customers and workers to hit the floor, which caused terror for everybody in the place.

The men headed for the office where they found the manager, named Antonio García Aguirre, 52 years old, who they took with them.

They forced García Aguirre into a red Voyager van and then fired some shots and fled in an unknown direction.

Inside the establishment were found spent 7.62 x 39 cartridges, used by the AK-47. It should be mentioned that the outside sign for the business is very small for the size of the building, and it appears it is a clandestine night club.

Inside are billiard tables and white seats and a space with a pole in the center of the room. The municipal police started an operation, but as usually happens in these cases, they did not find the squad, nor the person kidnapped."

A commnet from a local expat:

"Note: We haven't seen anything likethis in Rosarito Beach recently that I can recall. They did kidnap a furniture maker at his factory last year- but nothing violent and in the tourist zone like this event. Yeah, it's a strip club owner who was kidnapped if that matters to anyone. It doesn't matter to me- a legal business is a legal business. They probably tried to extort money from them first. If the bad guys ask for money and you don't pay- this or worse happens. You can't reason with these people and no one is exempt from extortion and kidnapping. You hope you will only have to pay one group for protection, that they leave you enough money to live on, and that someone takes them out of the game so you will (hopefully) be left alone again.

I've heard there are "new players" in the area. I hope the police release more info as the story develops."

Business robberies are high, kidnappings, extortion, inept police, home break-ins, muggings, murders, day and night crime.

Yikes!

Really? Someone is going to suggest there is a crime spree in Rosarito Beach because there was a kidnapping of the manager of an "underground" strip club owner?

My wife and I own a condo just a couple of kilometers south of Popotla. We've been visiting and living part-time in the area from Rosarito Beach to Ensenada for years. We have never felt any concern about our safety or that of our family in all of that time. Is there crime in Rosarito? Is there not crime everywhere?

I guess if you hang out in the company of "underground" strip club owners or those engaged in the drug trades, no matter where you happen to be in the world, you should be concerned. But if your are a normal person going about your life you shouldn't have anything more to worry about in Rosarito Beach than an American citizen that goes to a movie theater in Colorado or Texas, or a public political event in Arizona!

Mreid51 wrote:

Really? Someone is going to suggest there is a crime spree in Rosarito Beach because there was a kidnapping of the manager of an "underground" strip club owner?

My wife and I own a condo just a couple of kilometers south of Popotla. We've been visiting and living part-time in the area from Rosarito Beach to Ensenada for years. We have never felt any concern about our safety or that of our family in all of that time. Is there crime in Rosarito? Is there not crime everywhere?

I guess if you hang out in the company of "underground" strip club owners or those engaged in the drug trades, no matter where you happen to be in the world, you should be concerned. But if your are a normal person going about your life you shouldn't have anything more to worry about in Rosarito Beach than an American citizen that goes to a movie theater in Colorado or Texas, or a public political event in Arizona!

It is common knowledge Rosarito has gone from tranquil to over the top. Yesterday 3 bodies were dumped on the streets there , 2 after being tortured in colonia Benito Juarez for all to see. It has changed lately and is worse now.

Cite the news source please. I have a vested interest in staying informed.

Mreid51 wrote:

Cite the news source please. I have a vested interest in staying informed.

http://www.el-mexicano.com.mx/informaci … ejidatario

Google translation:

"PLAYAS DE ROSARITO.- This morning two bodies were found wrapped in blankets in colonia Benito Juárez, and in another distinct event there was a murder of a well known ejidatario.

According to the police reports, the bodies of the two presumed tortured persons, who appear to be a man and a woman, were found laying on a local road in colonia Benito Juárez.

In the another distinct event, Pablo Arce, a well-know ejidatario was the victim of a firearm attack, and received eight shots, which killed him."

Update from Rosarito: Sunday night shootout there on the beach.

"ROSARITO, Baja California - As the result of a gunfight which occurred in the area of Los Arenales [the sand dunes], in Primo Tapia, four people were murdered and two more are badly wounded. It appears a woman is among them.

According to the preliminary data, a little before 9PM on Sunday, armed persons on board an SUV entered Los Arenales, and thereafter a gunfight took place that left the people dead and wounded.

Rosarito Red Cross commander Carlos Mendoza reported that five people arrived by their own means to the Primo Tapia Red Cross Aid Station after the attack, but three died there and another two were taken to the General Hospital to be treated, but their prognosis is reserved.

Moments later, there was reported that a man had crashed his SUV into a taxi right in front of the Motel Don Luis, which is located on bulevar Benito Juárez, but was one of the participants in the Primo Tapia attack.

The man who was travelling in a Black Jeep with Baja license plates was badly wounded and died just before crashing with the taxi.

A large police mobilization was carried out in the city in search of the attackers, but as of the close of this edition there was no official report of people being arrested. However, in one of the patrol vehicles in front of the hotel there appeared to be three people detained, and they yelled through the window that their detention was unjust.

While this occurred, dozens of people, many of them personnel and guests of the hotel, watched the crashed car scene without leaving the area."

http://www.frontera.info/EdicionEnLinea … nales.html

http://www.afntijuana.info/seguridad/26 … a#ver_nota
The same incident as above but a different report.

http://www.frontera.info/EdicionEnlinea … sario.html

"ROSARITO, Baja California - Businessman Jaime García Arteaga, owner of Club Marena in Rosarito, was murdered last night in Primo Tapia as he was travelling in a black Lexus accompanied by a woman who was uninjured.

The events happened last night around 8PM, on the Scenic Highway, at the town of Primo Tapia, when subjects aboard a white Suburban SUV caught up to him and shot several times, and then fled.

The 60-year old businessman, was driving his vehicle when the attack occurred, and due to the bullet impacts he died almost instantly.

According to the information from the police, the dead man was returning from Ensenada, where he had several meetings.

The victim was hit at least five times by bullets, and in spite of the search operations implemented by different police agencies, as of the closing of this edition nobody has been reported arrested for this crime.

The Red Cross went to the location and said that the man had died and gave medical attention to his companion for a nervous attack."

Rosarito has more problems with violence and appears not to be what it used to be.

Are these stories still happening?

ack

Web Clip
ESPN.com - RG III calls benching a 'coach's decision' - 3 hours ago
Re: New reply: an insight into life at Rosarito beach  He sold his Rosarito home and is looking to buy another.

x
er

Here is a comment on the Rosarito situation  ( long time Rosarito resident and  current (and long time member) of  Rosarito Rotary. Very involved in Rosartio community affairs.  Author, journalist.

And I quote from him:
The comments about Rosarito Beach...most of the negatives are from Alleycat1...he does not live in Rosarito
and I am not certain of the area where he does live; however, i went to another blog and it seems like he is a
very negative person no matter what anyone writes...and, of course he puts his two cents worth in on what
anyone has to say.

I knew nothing about the murder of the man from Club Marena...that is a very exclusive, expensive condo
development. Truthfully, I have not heard about any of those situations.

I will answer your question:  I can't wait to move back to Rosarito from Santa Fe.  (community between Rosarito and Playas) .

Jack E. George

No.  Ive lived here for 2 years now and never had a single problem.  I have noticed swarms of  federales, state police and locals patrolling.  But that's to keep us safe.  Its rare when any major crime happens here.  The crime obsessively mentioned by certain paranoid posters was a Popotla incident.  Popotla is a small town south of Rosarito which allows zoning for "strip" clubs and other scum magnets (especially for American tastes).  The good ol USA has its share of serious crime which happens 24/7 all year long.  Plus its "citizens" are allowed to own and use guns (automatic, semi, shot and hand).  Guns are illegal down here.  Americans smuggle them in on occasion to pay in trade for their drug addictions. 
Everything one needs to live a simple, pleasant life is here.  If you desire specific info, please ask

Thx, Pax

Don't listen to that guy.  Its just fine here.  Be at peace.  Thx, Pax

This is just very strange then.  Lot of ppl say it isn't safe then some others say its very safe.  However these stories that i read online are true though as they are posted.

I don't doubt that a crime happened.  It happens everywhere.  Even in your town.  If not, it will eventually.  I come from San Diego.  Theres chronic crime in that city, but it didn't prevented me from living a decent life.  The crime mentioned here was about certain people involved in prostitution and drugs etc.  Not regular citizens going about their lives.
If youre looking for some perfect paradise, it aint on earth.  As for Rosarito, its far less crime ridden than any other city its size in the states.
People that are hysterical and paranoid find fault everywhere they go.  If youre like them, better to stay where you are.  Thx, Pax

These are pretty recent.  The first one is an american from their point of view.

These are all in rosarito beach.  So these things are all far from the tourist area then?  However few of them mention tourists as well.  Thoughts on this?  These aren't ppl that are involved in drugs and prostittuion.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150774-d156123-r227612245-Rosarito_Beach-Rosarito_Baja_California.html#REVIEWS

fulano.info/forum/thread-13933.html?highlight=rosarito

fulano.info/forum/thread-12255.html?highlight=rosarito beach

fulano.info/forum/thread-14006.html?highlight=rosarito

fulano.info/forum/thread-13844.html?highlight=rosarito

fulano.info/forum/thread-13300.html?highlight=rosarito

fulano.info/forum/thread-13822.html?highlight=rosarito

I live here.  I live in total peace.  Nobody bothers me in any way.  I don't look for trouble.  I don't obsessively read every negative article written about here or the states.
I get along with everybody. 
If you look for shit, youll find it along side the road.
Better stay locked up in some gated community watching fox news and listening to the radio all day and night.
I told you the truth.  Its a nice place to live.  Im much more at peace here than in the states, which is far more crime ridden.
If there was some random crime spree here (like everyday in the states), I wasn't aware of it.  Nor do I care.
I find it difficult to live like some scared coward minute by minute.
Sorry you have such a dim view of a nice place.   Keep seeking your shaingra-la.  Thx, Pax