New members of the Maldives forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the Maldives forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Maldives if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi from a newbie in the Maldives :) just arrived in North Ari Atoll with 2 small kiddies! so far so good, absolutely love it!!

Hi everyone! I'm about to move to Maldives to work on a resort located in an Atoll on the south of Malé.
My only doubt still is related with the emptiness of the place, since I always lived in Europe and I'm a very social person, I wonder how its gonna be my free time there? what to do after work? and on weekends? is there a big expat community in Malé? do they gather often? Is it easy to start surfing? If anyone could help I would appreciate!  :) Thank you! And hopefulŽly see you soon!

Nothing to do much in maldives. But surfing and diving it's a good thing to do. No clubs no night life but private islands around maldives are beautiful specially underwater you can say it's paradise.

No clubs! Forget about the night life ;) until you have a staff club on your island and only managers are allowed to go to the resort outlets so if you are getting manager position you can enjoy dj night once in a week if you have it on your resort ;)
But surfing, diving you can enjoy a lot!! You will have more time for relaxing! Eve reading ;) you will be always online ;)

Hi..I am shamil. I live in Sri Lanka..I am 25 years old...I have been working in an audit firm as senior auditor for 5years..I have completed CAB II exam conduted by charted Institution of Sri anka..now I am following strategic level l exam..  I am seeking proper job in accounts fild..

Hi, As u saying hear is no night life. but we can join together & make it nice.  ;)

HI!, My name is Derick. I'm working in Male for almost 5 years now. Living in Male is fun with good friends and never ending sea adventure. You can send me a message if you want to know more of the Maldives and it will be my pleasure to share info and experiences in my own point of view as an expat.. Keep in touch =)

Stay happy  :)

Hello everyone,

I am from the Philippines.. I just received a job offer to work in Male. Might fly there before this year ends. I am a bit hesitant to accept the J.O  though because most of the articles I read about Male expatriate life are on the negative side.. So I am quite fearful.

Hi everyone! My name's Wella from Philippines. Trying to learn more about working in Maldives! I'm having a direct interview tomorrow and needed some help here, please check out my topic on my page. Hoping to work there soon!:)

Hello there, I'm Jona from Philippines, working at Male. Any suggestions store in Male which sell filipino food items/stuffs or resto that serves filipino food?
Much appreciated for your help in advance... :)

Aloha,

Moving to Male' after a year of working in Japan. Had enough of the night life and the big city, looking to get back and deep into surfing and all ocean related activities. Lived in hawaii for 14 years. third culture kid big time. I'm sure i'm going to get to meet some amazing people here. Cheers!

Hello Eduardo,

Its nice to know that u have a very positive feelings and inspiration abt moving here!
For sure u will enjoy yr life here ( if it's true that u had enough night life) and will enjoy deep and blue ocean with an amazing marine life!!!
Welcome to Maldives!!!

Hello... everyone

Hi I am a nurse from the philippines ang receive a job offer in a resort in maldives.. currently waiting for work permit.. is their any here who have an idea in how long it will take to process the permit? thank you

Assalamualaikum.
Hi everyone.

I am a newbie. Living in Singapore. I am getting married in 12days time with Singapore man too. I would love to move in to Maldives, look for new home, find a job and live there.

I would like to be a permenant resident in Maldives. To find a new home for the two of us.

I do not like living in a busy city area. I preferred to have place where I ca have freedom to speak. As from my understanding, Maldives is one of the Islamic countries. Therefore I am truely and sincerely interested to begin my life with my future husband there.

I am currently working as an Assistant Facilities Manager in Singapore managing schools builing maintenances, cleaning services, security services and more. I still wish to look for a job which is related to my current position in Maldives. My future husband is more on Building and Construction industries working as Safety Coordinator.

Looking forward for my goal to live in Maldives. Away from city area. Do assist to guide me along so that I will be suceesfully able to migrate to Maldives.

In Shaa Allah.

Hi my name is Naj!

I am interested in working in the Maldives in the near future. I am studying at the moment but feel like I should start to make inquiries of the process?

Thank you
Look forward to your response

Regards

Najjif

Hi everyone!   :)
I'm an italian girl, about to move to Maldives in september to work in a resort... I really don't know what to expect from living in a resort, I know the isles are very small but I hope to make a lot of new amazing friends anyway...
Any tips from you guys already living there?
I lived in Shanghai and Beijing, now it's time to enjoy the peace of blue ocean! can't wait for diving, swimming and surfing!
Hope to se u soon  ;)

Hey all,

My name is Werner, a 27-year old Belgian male currently living and working in Male'.

I'm here to see if I can meet some nice people and make some new friends. So far life in Male' has been kind of boring, but I'm trying my best to find new ways to make it more exciting everyday. If you want to join me on this quest, then I'd be glad to hear from you :)

Hi...am Aachu ashik from Gods own country Kerala.i have been working here since 2011 as English teacher.Itz a great experience working here rather than in India.I love d beautiful sandy beaches and serene life.Not much pollusion,,calm nd relaxed life.

Hi All!!

In both professional and personal life I've always found that travel inspires me more than anything else I do. Evidence of the languages, cultures, scenery, food & art sensibilities that I discover wherever I have reached can be found in me.

I have been working for tourism industry in Nepal for almost a decade in all the fields. I have been attending almost all leading travel exhibitions in Nepal & India for past 5 years being a representative for DMC in Nepal. I have worked as a Operation Manager cum Tour Manager to Tibet for 5 seasons/17 Trips so far.

Now after an experience of 10 years in Mountains, I want to fit myself in some plains where there is sea, beach & more of luxury to a tourist whereas variation for me. Any sort of job in tourism industry would be okay for me. I am fluent in English(both written & spoken), familiar to all basic applications in windows or Mac, terminologies exclusively used in travel companies, travel photography & I own a professional camera which can be a good feature for a tourist if I click for them with no extra cost. If you have a job offer or if you know someone who has, please let him/her know about me to get thanks from both the ends.

Thank you!

Hi

I am currently working here in Muscat, Oman and would like to have a holiday in Male this coming Eid al adha. Need some advise for accommodation and how to travel around Male.

Thank you

hey,hope you good,would love to know more about maldives with your help please

Hi, I am Tudi! I am very new here....I will soon move to Maldives and make a guest house - this is my dream since 5 years ago since I first visited Maldives - I immediately fell in love with the ocean and exotic islands.
I will need a little legal help from the ones already made this business here....Please help me to make part of this beautiful paradise called Maldives :)

Hi Tudi,where are you from?hope to meet you when i get to maldives

Hey hi....im amesh from srilanka. Currently I live in hulumale. im an aircraft maintenance engineer. If theirs any foreign people love to get to get to know each other reply me. So bored of staying  without having friends in here.  Im also in facebook as amesh gishan gunarathne(sain).see you soon.

My name Alex. I am from Zimbabwe, Africa as an expat teacher at an international school. I am only a few weeks old in Maldives. Most of the time i feel lonely maybe because i dont people to talk. I wish could meet friends & discuss in person maybe over tea or coffee.
Thank you for welcoming me.
Possibly we can chat on whatsapp +263772261094 or talk on cell 9850437
Thx

I,am y.s.s premadasa from srilanka.my date of birth day 1980.02.27 I hawe a foring and lokale  Experience.  10 years.I,am working nove pearl grand hotel senior housekeeping supervisor  from srilanka.

Amesh: Are u able to come Male when off. We can chat using my whatsapp +263772261094 or phone 9850437
Alex

Hi Tudi,

i would be more than happy to assist yo with your dream hotel plan. you can write to me on [email protected] and lets start sharing ideas

cheers
mooch

hey there if you board or looking for apartments do let me know ok.,

Hi all :)

Recently transferred to Male, Maldives from Cebu, Philippines. I've been here for about 2 months. I can't say I am liking it here so far. The city is very chaotic because of the motor cycles running/parking everywhere. It's always buzzling and I can't seem to find a moment or a place of peace (except for the cricket pitch field where I can jog)

The worse part is the company I work for. The boss' are rude and can't seem to communicate well. If you greet them good morning, they just look at you. They often hung up immediately on the phone. They don't explain the work very well, seems like they have trust issues sharing information even if it can help the employee work better.

Most of the time, I do nothing. Just sit there without work waiting for someone to tell me what to do, since they don't explain my job scope very well, or explain the system/process of the company. I tried several times to ask them about my job scope, what they expect, to try to get them to explain why they hired me in the first place, but they are so vague when replying. Often times when I am talking to them, they are on the PC or phone or talk to someone in dhevihi. When we request something needed at the office, it takes them forever to reply. (I've requested a pen and notebook 3 weeks ago, now I still haven't gotten it) If I follow up they will just say, it is requested at the head office already.

They don't follow job titles and do the same work at the  same time. They expect us to fill in jobs, (with the excuse that it is still a growing company with limited employees) But they expect us to fill jobs that they have someone hired for and they have so many employees doing nothing.

I took this job expecting that I will be exposed to another field, to learn more and be better at what I do. I expected challenge and learning. Now I am scared that I would waste my year here, that after I finished my contract I will have in paper a job experience that I know nothing about.

I really feel so trapped and it is not doing anything good on myself. I find myself easily angered and often stressed. I feel so many repressed emotions inside because of this vague way of life here. But I also can't quit because then I would pay for the expenses they paid for ticket/visa etc. I feel like I've been deceived and to be honest even if I am getting my pay, I really think I am at the losing end here since I am becoming lazy, and dumber.

Anyway, I just wanted to air out what I really feel living in this ''paradise'' country. But I still remain to be positive. so hoping for the best :)

cheers,
Christine

Hi everyone....just landed Maldives.going to join Adk hospital as medical officer.Male' looks lonely if u don't have friends. May b we can have more friends here and make this place interesting.b in touch

hello.....marvin is d name, I'm stay & work at dhigurah island, i'm new here in maldives & still we don't know what are the lifetsyle here, where looking for some filipino that will help us what is life here in maldives, & become friends, thanks

How do people get along with the 6 day work week here?

Good day - how are the housing costs?  Apartments/small house?

Hi Am suresh from Sri Lanka.. Just 1 month in maldives

If u need any help u can contact mr 00960 7787483 my name is saeed currently I m working bank of maldives

Looking for housemaid to work Maldives

U can contact me    [email protected]

Closed