New members of the Salvador forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the Salvador forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in El Salvador if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi I have just returned to London from ES where I intend to move to later this year. I made some useful contacts out there myself and met a group from Internations for a social night out but I would welcome contact from anyone who has or is considering moving to ES. I intend to open a guesthouse and buy a centre console motor boat to run fishing and sightseeing trips. I have viewed several properties around the La Libertad area and I have friends there now actively looking for me. I am interested in (amongst other things) sport, music, natural history and science, cooking and enjoying life. Thanks. Ian.

Well... Hello out there!!   :cheers:   I'm new here and had not thought about relocating to El Salvador until this morning when my Nicaragua relocation consultant made it clear I don't qualify for residency there and suggested looking at El Salvador! 

So, I'm in a bit of a pickle here.  Hope someone has some real ideas to suggest to resolve the issue.  I am done with trying to make a life I enjoy here in the US!  I've never been motivated by a paycheck and at 63 that lack is now here to bite me in the butt!  My SSA doesn't meet requirements for residency for at least two years.  It's also not enough to live on here, for sure!  Various circumstances founded in the poor economy have depleted my Therapy & Coaching practice so rather than push this rock harder up the endless hill, I thought to move more quickly to C. A. where I can live simply and nicely on my little SS and actually enjoy my golden years walking on the beach, meditating and having great conversations with a variety of people.  I heard that a guaranteed annuity would bring my "pensionado" income to qualification but, no ... it won't work.  Am I trapped here in the US to eventually live in aged poverty on government assistance????  I even went back to school at 50 to acquire licensing to avoid that!  So, now additionally I have student loan debt too!!!!   :huh:

I love Latin culture overall and have enjoyed time in Costa Rica (terribly N.American!) and Argentina.  I grew up  and have lived most of my life in Southern California, so have been well surrounded by Latino style.  As long as I'm on the Pacific coast and have some civilization around, I think I'll be ok moving "sight unseen", although I get the impression my 10 year old miniature poodle would not do so well in the hot humid climates south of his home here. 

If anyone has ideas on how I can safely and permanently get relocated to and live decently in C.A. on less than $600/mo. I would welcome the info!  I'd love to hear about resources for community living, house sitting, work/volunteer exchange programs, or ????  :/  I could use a little inspiration and encouragement. 

Looking forward to new friends in southern places!  :D

I live in the US at the moment with my El Salvadoran husband. We met & married here in the US a few years ago. Before we met he had been planning to return, but then we met, fell in love, & then marriage happened, & he never went back!!! That's how life can take you! But now that we are older we are thinking of El Salvador as a place for him to return home to & a place for me to retire to with him. MY dream, from years of working experience here in the US, is to open a small B&B with a public cafe attached. We've started buying a little land, off one of his in-laws, about 15 minutes from the beach in a hotel resort town. My B&B idea wouldn't be so much, at first, as the big money maker, but more of something to offer to travelers & for me to have a small business, something to do that I can use my experience. I speak Spanish, I'm half Ecuadorean. And my husband's English is passable. I haven't been to El Salvador yet. I am planning a short trip there later this year to finally meet in person all his relatives who love & accept me via facebook! LOL! I'm a worldly traveler having visited & lived in many different countries. SO I am looking forward to adding El Salvador to my list of places I call home.

Hello everyone!

I am 25 years old and recent university graduate and I am looking to find work in El Salvador, hopefully sometime next year. I am trying to start my footwork early and also get some idea of the chances that I have and am looking for any suggestions and information. I have visited the country once before for five weeks when I volunteered teaching English to 1st-5th graders. I am returning to the country this August for 2 weeks as well to do some serious looking around and hopefully networking with ex-pats.

I have a bachelors degree and working experience in Graphic Designer. I also have a minor in Education. I'm interested in teaching in either of these areas. My boyfriend lives in El Salvador and we hope to start a life together. I won't go too far into this sob story though...I have contacted some schools already, even if I have a low chance of being employed by them.
For example, I contacted Escuela Americana, but I don't hold teaching certification...I am a native English speaker and I speak conversational Spanish. Any thoughts, ideas , suggestions, opportunities, etc? I know about call centers, but I am an American citizen and a gringa, so I don't know how well that would work out.  I am interested in the areas of San Salvador, Santa Tecla or Antiguo Cuscatlán. (Antiguo most of all)

Thank you! <3

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=751420

Thanks!

Closed