New members of the Nepal forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the Nepal forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Nepal if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

I'm a retired American widow much too poor to live in the US. I am living like a queen in Nepal and enjoying everyday like a treasure.

I would like to help other Western women in my age bracket to escape the rat race and enjoy life on a small budget. If you have a minimum of $700 in solid retirement income I'd like to help you to transition to life in Nepal. It is very safe and cheap to live here. But I know that if you have only a small income it is impossible to come on your own. You'd have to find your way around and buy furniture and things. That's the way I did it, but I wasted a lot of money and time and ended up going back to live in a guest house, which required me to store my furniture. I lost a lot of what I had due to storage issues.

I am creating a project to sponsor other retired women from the West. I will house them in a group home environment and provide them the safety net they need. There is lots of walking paths, natural remedies that are very affordable, really everything you need for a healthy lifestyle. I'm even taking royal bee jelly that I could never afford to buy in the US and I'm feeling 10 years younger. A month's supply costs less than $25!

Rich people don't have to sacrifice like the poor do. I know if it's a mistake for these women it will be a huge mistake! That is not my intention. My intention is to create an environment for older Western women to live whereby they can be more active, have more fun and live longer than if they stayed in the West. Any women interested in doing a 'Poor Woman's Senior Gap Year' should contact me for more information.

I have more information about my intentions and what I can do to help senior poverty at http://FrugalTravelsNepal.blogspot.com

Thanks for your intro MadagascarNow !

Recent to forum, I am a veteran traveler, however....and am now retired. My main career was teaching English at a high school on the Navajo reservation (I have a M.A. in Teaching English as a Second Language) for over two decades but had moved on to write/edit material for online education.

I have been living comfortably in Phoenix and thought I'd be content doing volunteer work at a local museum and traveling frequently around the world every few months. But a recent volunteer stint teaching English to Buddhist monks in Kathmandu has me strongly considering re-locating to Nepal to continue working with my new friends. I fell in love with Nepal and many people there, and it felt much like home. A number have kept in touch via Facebook and WeChat.

I am returning at the end of March 2014 for a month. Although I will be returning to the monastery to work again with the students, I will be evaluating whether relocation to Kathmandu is the path I am  meant to take. I could be "comfortable" doing frequent re-visits to the monastery, but my heart is leaning heavily towards Nepal. If upcoming visit confirms this, I will begin jumping through necessary hoops to make Nepal my primary home.

I look forward to advice from forum members who have already experienced this transition.

Hi,
          I am Paras Neupane. After living six years in France now I am in my home country Nepal, in Kathmandu I have some friends staying in Nepal working or doing some business.

Hello sir can I contact u. My no is 9840050329

Greetings from Chiang Mai! I'm a newbie to the forum and an avid trekker and some-time rock/mountain climber currently retired and living in Chiang Mai, TH. I've made 4 separate trips (6 total treks and climbs) to Nepal from here in the last two years and am seriously considering relocating permanently to Nepal, preferably nearby to Pokhara. Although I've yet to visit  the area, I will be doing so in the next couple of months and would appreciate any observations of life there (or anywhere for that matter).

Happy Nepali New Year!

:D

Hi All,

I am planning on arriving in Nepal end of June 2014. I am trying to find a long term let: 6 months - 1 or 2 bed flat - reasonable in price.

If anyone has good genuine local contacts for rentals please let me know.

As mentioned I am looking for a one or 2 bed flat for 6 months. It does not need to be in Kathmandu. I am happy being in the valley or a nearby town.

Where do most expats in Nepal stay I wonder?

Thanks all.

A lot of people here, including expats use a message board on google, KTMKTM group. You can find it by doing a google search. It's a good mix of expat and Nepali. You will also enjoy reading my blog, http://FrugalTravelsNepal.blogspot.com  It's a good way to become familiar with the culture.

A lot of expats stay in Patan, Thamel, Freak Street or Boudha, but it's really loud and polluted in the base of the valley, so I suggest finding a flat in Bhakapur, Pharfing, Kirtipur or Kapon where it's up higher. Otherwise dogs will keep you awake all night. You should be able to find something furnished for around $200 a month-maybe less. But you will pay much more if you stay in tourist areas.

Message me if you have any questions. I'm an expat living here in Changunarayan.

Hi FrugalTravels,

Thanks for your reply - the info will be very helpful.

I'd like to rent a furnished flat for $150 to $200 along Phewa Lake, Pokhara - is this possible? I am flexible on location though as top priority for me is staying within budget.

(I'm not looking to stay long term in the tourist places like Thamel. I'd rather be out of the city in the countryside. Outside of Kathmandu but in the valley is also an appealing idea - best of both worlds then - live in a peaceful & quiet location but close to town.)

Do you have any contacts you can pass on who can help me get somewhere either along Phewa lake or outside of Kathmandu?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve!

I suggest you post an advert in the Nepal housing section for you are slightly going off topic here.

Thanks
Armand
Expat.com Team

Hi there,
I am Canadian and I am planning to come to Nepal in December (unfortunately the only time I can take my holidays..).Is there somebody that could help me in writing a possible itinerary? I definitely would love to visit Lhasa and Kathmandu.. Any other places I can`t miss on a three weeks holiday?

Thanks everybody for your help!

Emma

Hi everyone, I came across this site and I should say, it's really rich in resources.
I am a Chinese living near Beijing, and will be in Nepal in about July of this year.
Hope to make friends with local people ;)

Best,
Leo

Hi,

I arrived in Nepal just 2 weeks back and trying to adjust at the moment. Life is very different in Kathmandu from any other big city in the world. The weather here is beautiful and i still need to visit the beautiful places people talk about. I will be staying here for a year or soo but i am not 100% sure if i will be able to survive here.

Feeling a bit odd or maybe it will take some time..

Chinese, now in Nepal.
I and my friends arrived here about a week ago and now we are in Pokhara.
People here are nice and we will be back to Kathmandu in about three or four days.
Are there any people there?
We can have a dinner together and share interesting stories ;)
[Moderated: no private phone number on the public forum please]

Are u staying in Thamel? It can be hectic but it's the center of activities for the adventure travel set. Don't know if that's what you're into but, in any case, there are a number of nice coffee shops that serve great coffee. Also, at least 4 or 5 places play live music every evening, although they shut down at midnight. Where are you from originally and what are your plans?

Good afternoon, please excuse my poor english. Great idea by a courage woman! Have you though on the possibility of taking-in 3 over 50 year old persons for 2 or 3 months? Kind regards, Sedran  :top:

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Good morning: I seen your blog and got your mail. I will write directly, thank you! Best regards, Sedran.

Respect Sir,
I want some suggestions with you, about joy moniba now she's came in dakar refuge camp from sudan, please sir enquiry in refugee camp and send me her to details.
please sir she want move to here.

Rael,24, Filipino expat in Abu Dhabi
I'll be travelling Nepal this October for my Eid Holiday Vacation.
Anyone who can suggest me good place to visit for my entire Vacation?

Hi Rael
please follow up this site - visitnepal.com
hope you will enjoy ur holiday
thank you

I'd like to say that coming to the village where I live is a wonderful experience for many tourists and travelers. I am not a part of the village development committee or anything connected to the UNESCO people. It's just an amazing place that most tourists miss. And when they do come sometimes they just go up the steps to the temple and look around for a couple minutes before leaving the village. This is very sad because if you continue to the back of the temple and down the steps you can come to the edge of the hill and get some great views of quite a bit of the valley because Changunarayan is a peninsula.

Changunarayan is a place documented in the sacred scriptures to have been home to Lord Vishnu for some time. Our new slogan for the village is, "Lord Vishnu slept here; Changunarayan, Nepal."

For those with a short time in Nepal, the Valley Rim Trek is a great value and wonderful cultural experience. I don't mean to seem like I'm advertising; I just love this village.

We will be traveling to Nepal in less than one month, and plan to stay through May. We are both writers. I am American and believe in mystical Christianity;  he is Pakistani, Muslim and  a student of Sufism. Nepal-- and then Pokhara-- sound like 'Nirvana': a safe, spiritual and beautiful place. I am seriously snake phobic, so I can't believe we've settled on Nepal. But it is otherwise perfect.  Any experience you want to share will be valuable info for is. Thank you! And hello.

Hi all I am sanjaya from nepal and have been living, working and studying in Nepal For last 23 years. Very interested in meeting  people From all over the world. you never know where life would Take you so i am interested to made new friends . I am Social and Believe in  hard working young professional. I will hear from the ones intrested.

Hi all,

My name is Nina and I am currently living and working in Nepal. I came here for the first time in 2012 and this year I got married with a Nepali guy, got a job and settled down in Kathmandu. I am from Finland :)

Namaste! I am new here and happy to have found this forum! I am a newly retired author, therapist and have always loved KTM, the people of Nepal and the presence of spirituality (I am a Buddhist). I am beginning to check out what is available for senior women, i.e., housing, etc. Too expensive in the states and I want to retire in a affordable, soulful and loving place.Thinking of Boudhanath, Patan, Bhaktapur, maybe Pokhara. All best, DK read less

Hey everyone,

I will be arriving in Nepal in a few weeks and I am currently looking for accommodation, paid help and a motorcycle.

I am originally Punjabi but born and raised in Manchester, England. I have visited Nepal previously and now plan to live there for 6 months.

I am looking for a fully furnished, luxury 3 bedroom apartment in Lalitpur, preferably in an apartment block. Also will be hiring a housemaid and possibly a personal assistant. If anybody has any recommendations for me please let me know.

I also don't have a clue at the moment how I would go by renting an apartment in Lalitpur but I have come across postings of apartments for rent online. Can any locals or expats please advise me on whether it is better to go there and look for an apartment or to find one online as i suspect they are over priced.

Also if any expats from anywhere in the world would like to meet up once I arrive feel free to message me.

have an awesome day :)
Ranjha

Hi,

Hope you don't mind, but I'm wondering if you actually need to live in Lalitpur or you just want to be near tourists or have a job contract nearby. I have a lovely guest house in Changunarayan, the oldest Hindu temple still in use in Nepal. I have rooms that I rent out for long term expats. We have transportation to Kathmandu anytime you want to go, meals prepared to your order and a nice room. Our guest house has lovely views and it's high above Kathmandu so the air is clean. It's the best of both worlds if you don't want to live in the city. Here's the link for Airbnb, https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2533847 but you are welcome to call me if you have interest at 015141181 or 9849930812.

Amanda

Thanks but i'd like to buy my own place.

Thank sounds lovely, and thank you for all that information, but I'm going to be based in Pokhara as all my friends are there, but would suit be for a short visit sometime 😃👍

Hi everyone:
I live in the U.S. and would like to live/work in Kathmandu. I am a teacher and feel I could contribute a lot in an American school. I don't know how to go about this though.
Thanks,
Zynglass

Hi everybody i m a new member of this club
i live in Kathmandu city
i need a native English speaker teaching guide

welcome to my country  i will help u whatever i can and also need help from you to improve my English Proficiency.

Hello All,

I am Sailesh from Nepal and I am here to make friends. But moreover, I am here to meet expats working in Nepal and offer them good deals in airfares. I want to maintain long-term relations.

Thanks,
Sailesh

I am amrit from nepal.

Hello Amrit Banjade,

You are most welcome introduce yourself so that members can know a little bit more about you ;)

Thank you,

Marjorie

Yes

facebook.com/amritbanjade
this link will help every one to know me well.
i'm a trainer and i have a company training company in nepal. Training's personality development, leadership, communication skill, life skill and many more.

Hello,hi' frnds. I am kanchan thapa from Nepal.

Closed