New members of the Cyprus forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the Cyprus forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Cyprus if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello.  My name is Alistair Craig.  My first visit to Cyprus was in 1992 when I came on a visit to northern Cyprus while working in Ankara.  I returned on several subsequent occasions.  When in Cyrus, I live in Catalkoy, near Girne (Kyrenia).

I was born in newly independent  Ghana in 1958, and grew up in Nigeria.  I have spent the vast majority of my life abroad working and living independently in different parts of the world.  My unique twist on the typical  expat story is that I'm disabled.  If interested, you can learn more about my experiences at disabledexpat.wordpress.com

Hi  my name is Vina and come from Indonesia. I live in paphos - cyprus for about 3 years. Live in cyprus is great, no traffic, plenty nice beaches and nice harbour if you fancy for a morning or sunset walk.
Live here pretty easy if you have a job abroad and spend your time your day off or holiday in cyprus as its not easy to get a decent money here. A place for living is cheap and affordable but the groceries is a bit more expensive so you have to sometimes go to a different supermarket.
So my point is cyprus only good for holiday or for people who has savings. Thanks and hope this is help you.

Hi am David from Nigeria and planning to move to cyprus to look for a job there but i donŽt know if i stand any chance in getting a job in cyprus.

i am from pakistan and i want to come in cyprus i did m.sc physics. i just want to ask you that can i get a job in cyprus easily or not pleas tell me. I there any home tutor system or not.

My name is muzammal. i am from pakistan and i want to come in cyprus i did m.sc physics. i just want to ask you that can i get a job in cyprus easily or not pleas tell me. I there any home tutor system or not.

if you are thinking to earn there then i will say NO its very difficult  to find a job there but if you are going for holidays its a nice place and have nice beaches if you have money to spend there....

I apply student visa for Cyprus can I find part time job in Nicosia can my decision is better or not plz tell average salary in Cyprus

vina hi.
yes, cyprus is a good pace to live.
but is not that expensive.
once you learn your way around, then you can find reasonable prices in a lot of shoppings
rgds agas.

Hi, I am from the UK and currently living in the Nicosia area with my partner. I am throughly enjoying life in Cyprus and would like to make some female friends. Nikki

hi
I've been working as government employer for 21 years and would like to retire and settle in Cyprus
but got to find a job there first
I'm married ,got one child
Speaks French English Arabic Greek
I am choosing Cyprus because it is a nice country which reminds me of Greece and because of its proximity to Lebanon
thanks  for giving me this opportunity

dear all,

M from India and planning to move in cyprus to work there. Kindly give me some feedback about cyprus work envirnment, so that I will be able to involve myself there.

Hey everyone,

Tim from South Africa. Moved to Nicosia recently to start afresh somewhere.

Im currently looking at working for a telecomms company and have experience in IT, mainly server systems and systems administration.

I hope to settle down nicely and make some friends while here in Cyprus :)

My girlfriend will be coming over soon and she will be moving shortly after, provided we can get work arranged for her.

Nice to meet you all!
I look forward to fun

Good and smart

Hi Vina,
Good day, Hope u r fine. I m from Dhaka, Bangladesh. I got ur contact at Expat.com-cyprus n see u r living in Paphos, cyprus. I have applied for a hotel job in Paphos also by online. Could u pls. help me to get this job anyhow or arrange a same job for me? I will be very grateful to u forever. If possible pls. inform me at this mail ' [email protected] '. waiting for ur kind reply.

thanks n rgds,

Monzurul Haque
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Hi All,

My name is Mark Davies, an ex Pat Brit, now living just outside of Prodromi, near Polis, in the Paphos District.  I have lived here for just over 5 years with my wife Ada.

[moderated: please register your company in the business directory]

Cyprus is our new home.  We are registered as residents here and we are enjoying a different lifestyle to the stress and constant strain of UK.  We have 2 dogs and a cat and great neighbours in a very quiet location.  We couldn't ask for much more.

I am in the process of retiring to cyprus would you recommend buying at present?
Jan

Hi Jan,

I would suggest renting for the first 6 -12 months.  It will give you a chance to look at different areas and time to consider the various costs of living here.  It is then easier to walk away from a rental property, rather than going through the expense and hassle of selling if you don't like it.
The market is ideal for buyers right now are property prices have fallen to about as low as they will get,

Kind regards,

Mark

Some people will help from your blog, I appreciate you.

I am a NGO professional and Agriculture background and passed from Bangladesh Agricultural University. Do you have any scope to work in Cyprus or any other place, please help me to [email protected]

Dear respectful,

Though I have no introduction with you but write different issue below-

I am opening a school for education poor garment worker children those who most vulnerable and poor. Worker mostly women and they single mother. Any organization do not help for this special type people children education. In this regards we have taken a school opening initiative. We could not alone more investment for them. Freely I want to share do you know any personal donor or you to help us for those type of children education. Please inform me to [email protected]

personally i wouldnt buy here unless you are 100% sure that you want to do so.... things change  - e.g syria and ISIS conflict  - now wouldnt be a good tme to buy  - rent only for now - and for at least a year to be sure its what you want... Davie 173 words are very wise words

renting currently is so so cheap here

one thing to be very wary of here - and it doesnt matter whether renting or buying - dogs barking all day and night are an issue - theyre everywhere  - but at least when renting you can leave easily and at little cost to you.

:) thanks Mark, that's very helpful
Jan

Dogs? Can't say I'd honestly thought about that: great advice,
Thank you
Jan

do not buy where there are community expenses to be paid by residents for the upkeep of the premises. renting is better and you can move on anytime. i would not work for cypriot people, not a pleasure and low pay.

try to get an english landlord too - we have and theyre fabulous... nothing is a problem for them - theyve even gone to the police about the dog problem here on our behalf..... well am saying dog problem its more a dog owner problem  - theyre totally ignorant of their responsibilities in a community.

Hi Team,

This is sampath came to cyprus for a temporary visit.

I would like to meet my fellow indians in this blog and have to spend weekends with them.

Thanks a lot for welcoming me to the board.

We originally came to Paphos in 2004 and bought an apartment whilst I worked. After a few years we sold up and went away and now we have returned and are renting an apartment. Definitely a lot easier to get registered for immigration, medical care etc these days, especially if you are in receipt of a pension.

To anyone thinking of coming to live in Cyprus I would recommend renting a property for at least three months to give you a better idea of the various areas to live in, the cost of living and if it really is the right thing for you to do.

Each year we have noticed more and more establishments (hotels, restaurants, bars) close down for the winter months and employment is an issue. Animal welfare continues to be a major problem with many places unable to take in stray dogs or cats. There is a far wider choice of food and household goods available and if you shop around there are many bargains.  The bus service is great, both within the Paphos area and also to Limassol, Larnaca and Nicosia.

Many Expats we know still prefer to keep their funds out of Cyprus and we transfer money here as required. Far better now Title Deeds are available on many properties.

Very happy to be back here and hope to stay for many years to come

welcome to the forum Talagirl - hope to have some useful posts

Hello,

Just joined/registered on this ex-pat forum.

Lived in Cyprus now for 11 years!! First time I have heard of this forum.

I am on five other Cyprus forums, using different user names.

My wife and I love the country and the only negative we have is the lack of a dedicated ferry service.

welcome - its a very quiet forum  - and we have been trying to drum up some interest - and some life into it  -but so far plenty people viewing but nobody contributing by way of comments or replies....

Welcome to this Forum Simpleton - seems like you have been in Cyprus a bit longer than me so you can also appreciate the changes.

Agree it's a shame there aren't any ferries to the Greek Islands or mainland - it would make Cyprus a more accessible tourist destination.

I think your User Name must be a misnomer as your picture shows the opposite!!

Regarding the Winter Fuel Allowance.  To date I have not seen anyone mention the fact that those ex-pats fortunate enough to retain a home in the UK as well as a 'holiday' home abroad will still be eligible for the allowance despite the fact that they fly off to their holiday in the sun .for the winter.   Another example of those less fortunate being discriminated against?   So the allowance should be taken either from everyone or retained by all.

heygirl69. wether an ex pat has a home in the u.k. as well as abroad is no excuse for non entitlement for the fuel allowance, providing it has been paid for by a lifetime of contributions in the u.k. if a person is willing to forfeit their fuel allowance to pay for the non contributers in the the u.k. all well and good. if i was a multi millionaire today i would still fight for my fuel allowance rather than hand it back to  government to put in their own pockets or the pockets of the scroungers in britain.

I think we need to remember that the Fuel Allowance was á gift' from the Government and has nothing to do with the tax we pay or have paid in the past.  So they can take away as easily as they gave.

if a respectable state pension was paid in the first instance it would not be necessary to provide the much needed fuel allowance, as for the 10 pounds christmas gift every year for the pensioners i see it as an insult, 10 pounds wow wee, not even the cost of a bottle of gas.

I agree with you on both counts. Have a good Christmas and hopefully a warm one!

I am grateful for the £10. Also the pension is adequate living here in Cyprus.

Have bought a property in paphos cyprus hoping to move into in marchwith my husband feel a bit concerned about the fact that people say dont buy with communal
charges , rent  instead for while :|:unsure

Hi i needs help to back to Cyprus,i live 4 years in Limassol,after the migration deport me because they don't accept my married from rominan girl,now I divorce here and I live in Lebanon.
0096176343863 my mobile
thanks all

Hi guys i am Amir from Lahore Pakistan. coming in cyprus for MBA at Girne American University. currently looking for Place to live there and make some friends to show me around. so if you know anything,, share with me.

Thanks.

Closed