New members of the Estonia forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the Estonia forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Estonia if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Dear Founder,
nice idea.
with best regards
Dittmar

You're very welcome Dittmar. How long have you been in the country ?

Dear Founder,
Thank you very much for your nice message. We appriciate to support you and the Expat.com. Actually we like the Expat.com.The last 6 month I was pending between Germany and Estonia. Now, I will stay in Tartu. My woman is from  Estonia.
I hope I can support other members too. :) 
With best regards
Dittmar

Hi there

i am allso new in this forum i was liveing in estonia for the last 4 years now i am in long vacation in my home land ,

i will be back soon if you want to opent something let me know sound intresting.....

hi julien.
thanks for your email. i would love to move to estonia,my wife who is in tallinn at the moment undergoing some medical treatment,i am desperate to join her but im finding it difficult to find work,im 55 and a site manager for a school in the uk,seems like im just too old.but i do keep looking at the Expat.com and web sites for work. its a good site,so please keep up the good work
regards
kevin

Hello
To find job in Estonia you should speak the language. Have you learned to speak Estonian?

Hi everyone :) I just got home to the US after spending almost 3 months in Tallinn with my husband, who is Estonian and we got married there in January. We applied for the 1 year residency for myself and bought an insurance contract and everything before I left and I'm anxiously awaiting to hear back about the status of my application. I love Tallinn and I can't wait to go back.

Helo,I am Emmanuel,just given an admission to study work and organizational psychology at Tallinn University of Technology and I'd like to know about the things i need...also I'd like to know about the level of racism.Thanks :)

Hello, my name is Tom  Hale and I have moved to Tallinn, Estonia,following completion of my degree and masters in the UK.

I studied for a bachelors degree in Modern History and Politics at the University of Liverpool, followed by a masters in the Philosophy of Sciences (Physics and Biology) at the University of Bristol.

Following my education,  I have worked in the customer services industry, managing bars and restaurants, as well as working for 6 months as Customer  Services Manager for the largest British tour operator in Courchevel, in the French Alps.

I am an extremely hard working individual, with an eye for detail and keen focus on customer service. I speak fluent English and near fluent French, and I am currently learning  Estonian as a third language.

Hi everyone, I'm an italian student attending the master's degree course in civil engineering at University of Catania. In september me and my girlfriend, also her attending the same course, will start a research period at Tallinn University of Technology in order to draft the master thesis. We will stay there until february. We hope that this forum can help us making our experience more nice.

Hello tizianeinstein,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Feel free to ask any questions on the forum in regards to your future move to Talinn.

All the best,
Olivier
Expat.com Team

Hello, I am a new member here .
I come from Latvia , but now I live in Tallinn.
I hope I can find here friends.
I study in Hotel School Riga ( e-studies).
For more information you can check my profile and contact.

Hey Emmanuel, are you still interested to know more about Estonia?

My name is A.y,I planning to come to  tartu in Estonia to study and work also,I need help of expat for the living and work,because l didn't know anybody.

Welcome to Tallinn. I'm an American, and have been living in Tallinn for almost a year with my Estonian wife. We're both native English speakers, and my wife is fluent in Estonian.

My wife and I go out on weekends to explore and socialize. Hit us up if you want to.

Tim

[email protected]
cell: 5300 9464

If anyone needs help learning the public transportation in and around Tallinn, check out this useful website: - soiduplaan.tallinn.ee/#plan//21107-1/map,,,1/en

It's an easy point-and-click interface.

If you need anything else, just ask me.

Tim

Hello, my name is Jason. I'm 27, and moved to Estonia almost 2 years ago from Australia.
Currently on holiday in Perth to escape most of the winter and will be returning to Viljandi at the end of February.

Welcome, Jasoniii..

My wife has family in Viljandi, so we go there from Tallinn sometimes.. maybe we'll see you out there sometime, or if you ever venture into Tallinn...

Tim

[email protected]

Hi Tim!

When I get back I will be sure to drop you a line.

Jasoniii,

Sounds like a plan.. looking forward to it..

Tim

[email protected]

Hi everyone, don't know if anyone is reading this? I am UK national, my partner is Estonian, we have two children. My partner is back living in Estonia with the kids and I am expected to join her in Feb 2015. I am worried as don't really know how to sort all the official stuff out I am expected to do. I would like to find employment in Estonia and have recently just completed a TEFL course with view to teach English. I cannot speak Estonian. Where would you suggest I go for information to living in Estonia?

Greetings hartren..

My wife (Estonian) and I (American) are in Tallinn, so if you are coming to this city, we'd be happy to help you get oriented upon arrival..

It's good that you're beginning your research before you come over.. As you are a citizen of an EU member nation, you should not be required to obtain a living permit. I suggest contacting the Estonian Embassy in your area, and perhaps also contact the British Embassy in Estonia, for due diligence of specifics.. 

I don't speak Estonian, and have found the language barrier to be a hindrance on very few occasions, as English is a growing language skill here. In those rare situations, I rely on my wife to translate for me. For language basics, I recommend the following website - it's not perfect, but it's a start. https://www.keeleklikk.ee/en/welcome

If you find any particular hurdles (vague or missing details), contact me privately, and we'll do our best to clarify.

Tim

Hi Tim,
My name is Harry,
thanks for getting back to me I was so happy to hear from you. To be honest I did not expect anyone to answer me. How long have you lived in Tallinn? It is a very beautiful city and I would love to live there. My partner Riina is a school teacher in Johvi. I am used to the city life (I work in Leeds in West Yorkshire) Johvi is very quiet which takes some getting used to. I have a good job in UK and am reluctant to leave and move to a country where there is no guarantee of regular work, but my children are there and I love them. I look forward to keeping in touch with you if that's o k and sharing a beer with you. I am coming over for Christmas to spend the festive period and New Year with my family. I will eventually move to Estonia in February 2015. I look forward to hearing from you Harry.

Hey Harry..

Sorry for the delay.. life, et al.. My wife and I have been in Tallinn since 1Dec2013.. Johvi? Wow! You're way over by Narva, about 165km east of Tallinn..

I don't know anything about that area, but Tallinn is an interesting amalgamation of medieval and modern.. I don't know anything about Leeds, either, but many years ago, I had a client in America from Leeds..

It's a big move, so it's wise to come for an extended visit to see if it's a good fit.. I relate to your "anything for my family" commitment..

If you find your way to Tallinn during your visit, I'd be happy to pound a pint with you.. and when you do relocate to Johvi, (risking stereotype cliche' in 3.. 2.. 1..) I'll brush up on my scones (i love to bake) and bring you some...

Stay in touch..

Tim

Hi my name is Harry, I have visited Estonia many times over the last ten years, my partner is Estonian and we have a small apartment in Johvi. My partner and two children relocated back to Estonia last December and it is my intention to move to Estonia in the spring of 2015. I have a good job in the UK which has helped support my partner and children during our time spent apart. During the summer i studied a TEFL course to teach English. I was formerly a Career Adviser and am familiar with working in schools & education. I would like to find work before moving to Estonia as my partner's salary as a school teacher would not be enough to support us both and our children. I cannot speak the language but understand enough to get by, my eldest son who is eight is bi lingual. I am looking forward to moving but it is a gamble if I do not manage to find work. I would love to keep in touch with ex pats as I know I will struggle without the support of fellow Brits and English speaking people. although I do have many good Estonian friends. Johvi is just about as far East as you can go are there any Brits living out there? I don't wish to sound negative but there is so much to sort out in UK before the move and it is a bit of a gamble without having work to go to.

Hi Tim, sorry I have been a bit quiet since your last email, I have been working hard back in the UK and sorting out all the stuff that needs to be done before I move to Estonia. I have loaded that bus twice on two separate journeys with furniture and household stuff and there is still loads here at my house in UK. I get stressed thinking of all the stuff I need to sort out before I go and to be honest I don't sometimes know where to start.
Anyway I am over there for Christmas and arrive in Tallinn on the 17th December and leave 8th January. Maybe we can meet up and have a beer sometime whilst I am over there?

Hey Harry..

Sounds like a plan.. We can meet in Johvi, Tallinn, or somewhere in the middle.. I'll be in America from 11Dec-28Dec, so I'll make sure we meet before you go back.. If it's too cold for a beer, we can get hot spiced wine.. it's really good in the winter.. lol..

Regarding stress, we never realize how settled we are until we relocate - our homes become full of trinkets and there are many social and business connections that make our daily life easier.. finding acceptable alternatives for familiar products and services in new places can be arduous, but when we find that alternative, the mind quiets a bit..

When my wife and I came over, we were limited to airline baggage weight, so we only  brought winter clothes and laptops.. the rest of our stuff (summer clothes, DVDs, tools, etc) sat in storage in Florida while we searched for an agreeable shipping solution.. a year later, our stuff is finally in a container on a cargo ship headed this way.. I'm not a hoarder, but I never realized how much my possessions (not my occupation) defined my identity in America..

See you in a few weeks.. Stay in touch.. PM me anytime..

Hello,
actually I am planning for Estonia for my study and I am from nepal. Thanks

Hi Tim,
Harry here, Happy Christmas and best wishes for the New Year. I am currently in Johvi and will be returning to UK on 7th Jan. Looks like I wont be able to meet up with you before I leave. I was hoping too but I have been doing the rounds visiting Riina my partners relatives. It is difficult being so far East to get into Tallinn but when I do I always enjoy my time there. I will be taking the train to Tallinn on Wednesday at  7.40 am and should arrive in Tallinn around 10.30 am. If you are able to meet at Ülemiste shopping centre near the airport I would be happy to meet up. My flight is at 1.30 pm that afternoon. If this is too short notice then we can always save it for another time as I plan to return around March. Either way let me know o.k,
Harry

Hello All,

This is Noman from Karachi, Pakista, I got a chance to go Estonia for work, I got a job in Meat Packing and will be in Estonia hopefully (Insha Allah) after a month.

You all are requested to please tell me the realities of Meat Packing Industry, and help me in this regard.

Kind Regards
Noman

Hello Noman,

i am naeem from Karachi, Pakista, I got same job like Meat Packing, i applied from Ranjit khumar (Dynamic Consultant). did you get the same from him.

please help me if you get any information,please update me may email address is [email protected]   

its urgent

Thanks regards
Naeem

Hello everyone,

Just a quick reminder that this thread has been created for new members to introduce themselves only. If you have any other specific topic that you would like to discuss about, I invite you to do so in the Estonia forum by creating a new thread.

Thank you,

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Hi Tim,(and everyone else on the site)
Best wishes for the New Year! Sorry I missed you whilst I was over in Estonia during Christmas and New Year. I will soon be moving from the UK to live in Johvi. Deadline is April, I am looking forward to being with my partner and our two children permanently rather than having to keep leaving them at the airport. I have a good job in the UK but I miss my family and can think of nothing that I would rather do than to be with them. I have no idea really of how I am going to approach moving, I am currently using a parcel bus to transport all our belongings over there. It is the official stuff and the things I needs to put in place here before I go. I have also been trying to source suitable work over there, so far unsuccessfully but I am a fully qualified Career Adviser which may help me find school work and have also worked quite a lot in the business sector as a Business  &  Learner manager of an apprenticeship training agency. I have also recently passed an online TEFL course which again may go someway to helping me access work over there. I probably will end up as a house husband as Riina my partner has a teaching position and would probably not want to give that up. Get back in touch if you have time, even any suggestions would be appreciated. Harry

Dear founder.
My name's Federico, I'm a university student from Italy.
Hope you'll be able to help me.

Hey Tim, I'm back from Australia.

I'm quite busy at the moment avoiding going outside (except to go to work and get more food)

When the weather warms up and you're down Viljandi way, I would be up for meeting up. Are you heading to the folk festival this year?

I have gotten used to eating everything with sour cream and excess salt but the cold still gets the better of me!

Hello Jasoniii,

Kind reminder ;)

This thread is for the presentation of new members, if you have other topics you want to discuss, you can create a new thread in the Estonia forum.

Thank you,
Marjorie

Hello everybody ,, I am so confused about  the decision to move to Estonia ,, my husband has a work contract sent via mail ., but they want us to pay for 3 months deposit for apartment rental to obtain the visa to travel to Estonia ,,,,,,,,, I am not sure that they r telling truth😎😎.    The second issue is my sons I don't have any idea about the education there I want to put them in an American school  ( Are there any in Estonia ??) or any English schools?? Plz helllllllllllllllllllllllllp     😊😊😊😊

Hello everyone here. I am Lakshmi Thadishetty.  I am looking for jobs in Estonia. Currently living in Dubai, UAE.

Hi

I am Karine Campbell. I sort of ran away from my country in search of greener pastures. Poverty is getting the upper hand in Namibia, Africa, where Im from. Also the fact that I am a mixed race, doesnt really make life easier for me. The mixed race are never granted anything by the Government, but we are so called Democratic. It is a real struggle for us. I am currently in Denmark on a visitors visa which expires on 9 September, so I was hoping that before my visa expires that there might be a way to get to estonia, and get a job there.

Closed