New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the Mexico forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Mexico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi Folks,
Ever since I saw the Pyramids of the Sun and Moon among other things on my first visit to Mexico when I was just 16, I've felt an urge to take the plunge and see what it would be like to actually live here.  Now I've been her 10 years and feel that it has been a rewarding experience. I wish they would start a social network for English speakers living in Querétaro

Hi,
I am moving to SMA end of March after a yr and 1/2 in PDCarmen. A retired, Canadian RN, I have faced the fact that it is too hot here and the outstanding beaches are wasted on me. I am moving, looking for forever home, get some pets, do gardening, and exploring the neighbouring areas. Oh and the food that you all have, sounds mmmmmmmm.
Plan to walk to find short term rental, unless a miracle happens, I know that
being a part of the community will help me find my gem.
Cant wait.
Laura

Sounds like a good beginning, it will be cooler there. I'm also a retired R.N., so we have that in common, but having spent part of my life in hot, or hot and humid I adjusted to the hot beach idea fairly well. That doesn't mean I might not move to a cooler area, but some of the cooler areas come with more scorpions, and not just the black ones.

Scorpion risk in Mexico

nice to meet you, Having lived many yrs. in the Okanagan BC, I already thought of the scorpions, In BC our rattlesnakes are not the most potent ones,,,,,,,,,check the shoes!!

You will love it here and i've never seen a scorpion.   The weather to me is perfect for I can't stand hot, humid weather.   I'm happy to show you around and introduce you to some people if you would like.

We spent a week in SMA last November with our son who lives there.  Loved the city!  We will have decided to move there in late May or June this year from Charlotte, North Carolina.  Looking forward to meeting new people and getting to know SMA better!  Any advise would be welcomed.

Thanks so much , will contact you when I arrive :cheers:

Hi everyone, I'm considering moving to SMA for early retirement (the earlier the better). Aside from the usual vista questions, I have read that establishing residence in a country like Mexico requires that you seek the services of a attorney to draft a letter of credit for the purposes of getting phone/cable services, rent a apartment, open a bank account, buying real estate. Also how's the system of public transportion, since use of my Ct. driver's license might be invalid. What about driving around renting a moped ?

ctyankee57 wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm considering moving to SMA for early retirement (the earlier the better). Aside from the usual vista questions, I have read that establishing residence in a country like Mexico requires that you seek the services of a attorney to draft a letter of credit for the purposes of getting phone/cable services, rent a apartment, open a bank account, buying real estate. Also how's the system of public transportion, since use of my Ct. driver's license might be invalid. What about driving around renting a moped ?

Using an attorney covers all of the little details that are more complex, and easily missed It's for you more than them and you don't need to do that immediately. Becoming a permanent resident takes time and requires not only accumulating time here, but currently an application at the embassy in your country.Renting an apartment or house isn't that complex, it's more like in the U.S. good references, then of course visa, and Passport. The letter of credit is more related to residency. The cable/ phone service would like you to be a resident, but you can get a Amigo phone card and perhaps cable with the help of your landlady. People have been buying real estate without even living here. This is an area where a reliable attorney would really be a very good idea. Living here for awhile is definitely important before considering buying real estate. Bank accounts require citizenship. If you have a valid drivers lic. in the U.S. you will be fine driving on Mexican roads if you also have Mexican insurance. If it's your car you will need U.S. and Mexican insurance.

I would suggest slowing down even more. You are arriving on a 180 day tourist visa and maybe by then you will be more knowledgable of your wishes and make better decisions....In 6 mo. you need to leave Mex, but only for a day or so.  this will give you time to decide re,,,lawyers, real estate, health care, etc..for now just go on an explore for 6 mo.,,,,,,,,,,let your bank know you are on vaca, and away you go......get excited!

check Craigslist for a rentals but I stay in hotels for a few days. Cant do all at once or you go woohoo

Hi all, I'm a journalist who has just moved to Mexico City from West Africa. I'm living in the Condesa/Roma area, and I'm interested in meeting new people here. If anyone is around that area and wants to meet up, let me know. Cheers.

Hello everyone,
I have lived in Tuxpan, Veracruz for six years and work as an English teacher. My wife of 3 and a half years is a Mexican native with two children and I have two sons from a previous marriage.  My older son (32 yrs old) lives in KY in the US and he also is married to a Mexican native with two children.  My younger son (29 yrs old) lives in Buenos Aires, Argentina with his wife and 8 month old son.  My wifeŽs son is 25 and is finishing a masterŽs degree in Morelos, Mexico and her daughter is 17 and still lives with us.

Lord willing, I hope to live here for the rest of my life.  It is a great place to live and enjoy family, work and friends.  I have completed the requirements for permanent residency and hope to start the naturalization process this year when the funds are available.  I have been Reading a lot about the process, forms and costs, but wonder if anyone has any experience in this process and has any suggestions.  IŽd appreciate any helpful hints or suggestions.

Thanks for this blog opportunity.  Cheers!
Dan Tucker

Hello , My name is Aaron. I have been living in Mexico now for 2 years. I am a teacher of English and History. I teach English at a local University, but 85% of my teaching is now on line where I have built up both a private clientele and I also work for an on line school as well. I am working towards my becoming a Mexican citizen. I have had enough of being over taxed and seeing my freedoms, being slowly taken away back home in the U.S.

I am currently in the middle of renewing my work visa this time for 2 years. I don't know about the rest of the expat community, but there just seems to be many more opportunities here than back home. I should say my old home. Living here is like a breath of fresh air. I'd like to hear from as many expats as possible.

I would disagree with a couple of earlier posters to this thread. I have been in Mexico only 2 years and I have a bank account in fact 2 bank accounts and I have a Mexican visa card so i have also established credit here as well. You do need a visa to set these things up, but once you have a work visa or any other visa except the tourist visa you can establish a bank account and other financial arrangements.

Hi!  My name is Ben and I'm considering taking my family to Mexico for a season to get immersed in the Spanish language and Mexican culture.

Welcome, you wont regret it!

Hi Ben,

When you are ready to visit lets us know if there is any information we can provide, We have all had experiences that might be helpful to you.

Hello!
In 2009 I spent a semester in Queretaro and feel in love with Mexico. I have since returned to Canada to complete my education. I am currently studying Spanish and Translation. This summer I will be conducting linguistics research in Mexico (if any Spanish/English bilinguals are interested in participating that would be fabulous!). My goal is to one day move back to Mexico permanently.

Hi AustinArthur,
I am actually looking to meet English speakers in Queretaro to participate in my linguistics research project. Please let me know if you know anyone who would be willing to do so :)

Best,

Jessica

Welcome Jessica,
I am a retired Canadian, now living here and my french has aided me tremendously , as I stumble into Spanish. Enjoy the summer

My husband and I plan to move to Mexico within the next few years. Finding ourselves reluctantly 'retired' - due to the economy, we started talking about our dream and decided to make it a reality. Starting with San Miguel de Allende, which we have visited before, we plan to make several trips with extended stays to learn more about the different areas. We are looking forward to this next adventure and can't wait to explore the different post categories here!  We do have a trip scheduled to SMA in late October. Can't wait!

I am so pleased tp have found this blog.  We are a retired active couple looking to move to a Latin country.  We had decided on Ecuador after visiting, however, it is a little to far from our kids in Phoenix for me.  We had checked out Ajiic several years ago but did not really suit us.  Then we heard about SMA and have decided to visit this summer in hopes of relocating there or in another town in the region.

I have a myriad of questions and would love to correspond with anyone interesting in giving us info and advice.  If we can be of any assistance frlom this side of the border, please do not hesitate to ask.  Thank any generous expats willing to share.

Ciao.

SMA is quite popular with expats, which makes it also more expensive than many other areas of Mexico. So it depends on your budget. I guess you have to decide what's most important to you and base your search on that. Beach, mountains, cost, other expats, stores you are familiar with, and weather are all things to seriously think about.

Only in SMA 2 months but ask away and hope I can help.

Hi or Hola, I am new to this forum.  I will retire next January and look to spend at least part of the year in a warmer climate.  I visited Oxaca last year.  I liked it, but there is not a large expat community there.  I hope to learn more about possible second homes in Mexico. :)

I spent a yr and a half in Playa del Carmen and now San Miguel, I expect to keep moving to find perfect spot for me. Just keep researching and narrow search with weather, expats, etc. Personally I wouldn't buy, so much to explore!

Hello ctyankee57,
I have been visiting Mexico for 20 years and have been living here for 6 years.  I got my permanent resident card last year.  You do not have to be a citizen to have a bank account here.  Driving in Mexico is much better than it was 20 years ago - there have been massive improvements in the highways.  The tolls are a bit high, but well worth it.  Just be careful driving here - Americans are targets for the corrupt cops (ALL of them) and they will try and get money from you.  I live in a small town where there is great taxi/bus service, so I haven´t owned a vehicle in 4 years.  It´s a lot cheaper . . .Take care and enjoy this great country.  I love it here!
Dan Tucker

Information about the places you visit is appreciated.  Thanks

Hi.  My name is Colleen and I'm very close (end of this month) to relocating from Toronto, Canada to the Zamora de Hidalgo area.  I'll be teaching English at a school there.  There's been a lot of really helpful information here - thank you!

Is there anyone who can tell me about the Mexican Tourist Visa, please?  (That is, how to obtain one, how long it's good for, etc.)  Very grateful and thanks SO much!

Colleen Turney

you will get 180dy tourist visa when you enter, then to renew, just leave country for a day or so. Do you have work visa?

Thanks so much for your quick reply, Watski.
I accepted the job with the stipulation they provide me with a working visa.  They're happy to do so, they've said.  So, I can either wait for that (probably takes awhile I've both read and been told), or I can start sooner with a Tourist Visa and with what they call a "Cultural Exchange Contract", while the other working visa's being worked upon ...

Figure I'd need to purchase a return versus one-way ticket (probably will want to visit back here at Christmas, anyway).

It was mentioned that I can get the Tourist Visa on my flight down there ... ??  (That was from one of the American teachers who already teaches down there).  Does that sound right, please?

Thank you!  (This process is both exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time! lol)

DanTucker57 wrote:

Hello ctyankee57,
  Driving in Mexico is much better than it was 20 years ago - there have been massive improvements in the highways.  The tolls are a bit high, but well worth it.  Just be careful driving here - Americans are targets for the corrupt cops (ALL of them) and they will try and get money from you.

I agree the roads in many areas are greatly improved and the toll roads are definitely the way to go. The libre roads are risk at best because of lack of service and road conditions. I've done a lot of driving in Mexico and have not found all of the cops to be corrupt. I suspect your experience is based or a riskier , closer to the border area. I go out of my way to avoid areas like Tijuana, Juarez, Chihuahua, basically if it's the other side of Texas it's risky on both sides. Certain border crossings are very dangerous ( Brownsville, Juarez) others are relatively safe. The police have been helpful and very professional in the safer areas and no bribes were requested.

Hi again, glad to help,..dont be so nervous, do check also expats living in Mexico....no need to purchase return ticket, yes you get visa when you enter....just dont mention about working and let things flow...you are entering as a tourist..just fly in and give yourself time to adjust. Bringing some essentials will help,,,sheets,,,knives, love my crock pot! I do hope your employer follows up with work visa! A little nudge!

watski wrote:

you will get 180dy tourist visa when you enter, then to renew, just leave country for a day or so. Do you have work visa?

You may get a 180 day visa or they may decide to give you a 30 day visa it is up to the ADUANA or immigration officer. You will be given the visa paperwork to fill out on the plane. Fill it out completely and have it ready for the ADUANA, they are annoyed by partial visa aps so make sure your information is on both top and bottom. you keep 1/2 they keep the other half. If you have a round trip ticket that may be enough to get you 180 days in an of it's self.

Currently you should plan on being out of the country for a minimum of 3 days to renew. They are obviously trying to put a stop to the just over the boarder and back trend. If they want to be difficult they may ask for proof that you have a paid hotel room for atleast 3 days out of the country.

Thanks!  And, especially, for the work visa 'nudge'! (lol)
I hear you on that one!  They know I'll only work for them with a full-fledged work visa, paying legitimate taxes, etc. 
However, in the meantime, if the Tourist Visa 'thing' works - that's great! :)
So looking forward to being out of North America!

Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?  Have you lived in Mexico very long?  What area are you in?

I am a retired RN originally from North Bay, but mostly out west. Needed to leave to retire! Landed in PDC because I had visited and knew it. Made fantastic friends but summer is unbearable. In total have been here yr and a half...At 64, I have no fears in Mexico, got street smarted, got the intel....and so happy I moved. I always manage to get 180 dy tourist visa. Do you have lodging yet?

You sound happy, grounded - that's good! :)
I can only imagine the heat - have been to Mexico (diff locales) a few times and met my match in the sun.  However, this time 'round, figure I'll be lucky if I see the 'light of day' (lol), so may not have to worry too much! :)
I know I'm going to be happy to have moved as well - this has been a journey 6+ years in building ... It's time.

Do you, by any chance, know anything of the area I'm going to?  (I'm not worried - I figure those who go looking and expecting to find trouble, harassment, etc., usually do!  I took an exploratory, maybe I'd move there trip to Bocas del Toro, Panama last spring, and I'm sure if some people could see where I was walking at 11:00 at night, they'd have been horrified, but the truth is, I knew where was safe, and where wasn't, and I was cautious and didn't do anything stupid.  I am constantly amazed at those who think they can go 'clubbing' at 3 in the morning, get drunk or otherwise out of their heads, and not expect to be a target! lol)  Common sense ... So, in other words, I'm asking more just because I'm interested to know more about where I'll be living.  I've travelled a fair bit, so I'm 'seasoned', I guess you'd say.  It's just the idea of staying somewhere longer-term, which I've not done before, as I said.

And thanks for asking -- yes, my accommodation in included.  If it's awful, I'll look for alternatives.  However, for now, I'm very grateful to have something, and it's one less thing ... And I'm flexible. :)

Panama has been an option for me also,,,great benifits for oldies! Dont have any idea about your area, looks smallish, you will have to search for expats. Sounds like you too are well prepared for this adventure. Ya living in TO would offer good "watch your ass" tactics! oh and thanks for Rob, always good for a laugh!

Hola,
I'm not new to Mexico but I am new to this site.  I have lived in the Yucatan Peninsula for 5 years after I washed ashore after living for 12 years on a sailboat.  I didn't really wash ashore, I flew here and left the boat in the Bahamas.  We bought a house in Chelem on the Gulf of Mexico and became involved with the community here.  I am proud to call myself a Chelem elf and with the help of the other Chelem elves, we manage to provide toys every year to everyone of the children of Chelem.  That's about 900 kids.  A couple of years ago, for reasons we've yet to discover, my husband and I bought a little casita under the lighthouse in Dzilam de Bravo, we like to say that when we go there, we double the gringo population.  Then this year the five year itch hit us and we started looking for new horizons.  A friend called us about a beach house in Mahahual.  We knew we missed the Caribbean's beautiful water, but we'd also grown to love our little puertas on El Golfo and the proximity to lovely Merida.  So now we are trans-peninsular gypsies.
Somewhere along the way, I sobered up and fell in love with my life again. That's what my blog is about, falling in love with where you are and seeing the magic behind the scenes of every day life.
I have written a couple of blogs through the years, the now retired First Mate Mary Blog and my currently active ones, God Walked Into This Bar, Chelem Dreams, and my new one, Looking For Meliora.
I'm looking forward to meeting fellow Expat.comgers and reading about Mexico as seen through their eyes.

Closed