New members of the Cameroon forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the Cameroon forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Cameroon if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello,

My name is Andre Gwet aka Kila Gwet. I am currently (late February 2014) in Canada but was born and raised in Makak, some 80 km south of Yaounde, Cameroon nation's capital. Moreover, I recently spent 28 straight months in Yaounde, Douala, and Limbe; I plan to return to Cameroon soon. Douala is Cameroon's economic capital and largest city. Located on the Atlantic Ocean side, Limbe is in the English-speaking Southeast province where National Refining Corporation (SONARA) is headquartered. The Northwest is the second and last English speaking province out of ten with Bamenda as capital.

Cameroon has long been referred to as Africa in miniature; the reason is that it has all types of vegetations, climates, and peoples that one can find throughout Africa. Its population is by far the most tolerant (in all respects) that I have seen after visiting over 25 countries worldwide – tolerance with respect to religion, race, ethnicity, etc. Don't expect tolerance to homosexuality here (or anywhere in Africa with few exceptions.) All large cities have unsafe zones, especially at night. In Cameroon however, two "white" females may be by themselves at a bar in a low-income area of Yaounde the nation's capital and not even draw attention. Typically local individuals who might have intensions of mistreating foreign visitors or expatriates would not dare do that because they know that vigilante justice would swiftly and vigorously protect the guests and even retaliate on their behalf.

Generally, I have found the ability of the population in French-speaking areas to express itself in English to have diminished significantly compared to the 1980s and 1990s. As in most African countries south of the Sahara, Cameroon's population is very young (about 67% being 19-20 years old or younger), highly-educated, industrious, but with very high unemployment and underemployment rates. The country is peaceful despite complaints about many problems that may be considered unjustified in view of great human resources and seemingly unlimited potential in all respects. Be ready to have your own independent water well or access to one, even in the largest city; apparatus to sanitize water if you cannot afford bottled water (for drinking) at all times; stockpile bleach for various usages; have at least a small generator for powering light bulbs and computers.

Make sure you take the right malaria treatment at least once a month for several months before eventually extending the periodicity of treatments; don't take this as medical advice: talk to a local doctor even if you got recommendations from western doctors. Keep large enough quantities of malaria medicine at all times including for years after leaving Cameroon and Africa for the west.

Affordable Internet connections (CFA F 30,000/month) are too slow; more expensive connections (CFA F 45,000-60,000/month) barely have an acceptable speed. Ask around before selecting an Internet Service Provider; if nobody is available to help, first ask about Creolink (www.creolink.com/) and Ringo (‎http://www.ringo.cm/); know what you want instead of expecting accurate information from the Internet vendors. Get cell phone numbers from all major mobile phone companies: Orange, MNT and Camtel (CTPhone.) You may want to purchase a local phone capable of having two SIM cards.

Thanks a lot for your post Andre, very informative !

I am Ntamark Eunice and i come from Ndom in the Littoral Region of Cameroon.am a new member and i promise 2 contribute as much as i can.I have a B.A in History and Political Science and a diploma in Community Development.Cameroon indeed has so much resources,gt minerals,it hydrography even in d north,the grassland.we are blessed

Welcome Eunice! I am Kila Gwet from Libamba, Makak, Cameroon (Center Province, Nyong & Kelle Division). I am currently in Ottawa, Canada but will be in Douala April 1st. I plan to be in Limbe a few days thereafter.

Hello to every one am from the south west region of cameroon and holder of a BS in Banking and Finance currently in living in Limbe the OPEC city of Cameroon. I am a true Cameroon with the bilingual skill in me. Thanks Andre Gwet for message you sent through looking to meet you when you came to limbe.

I am mr NDZI EDWIN FANYUY, an indigin from banso in the north west region of cameroon and have got a first degree in civil engineering but want to go to higher heights in my career, for the moment am in yaounde.

hello everyone..i am micheal ayuk..i am a cameroonian...i want to meet more friends across the continents..thanks

Hello,

My name is Paul and I am an American soon visiting Cameroon

Hiya, im Fiona

Im British,currently planning my move to Cameroon (Douala) some time next year.

Looking to make some english speaking friends  :-)

Hi Alina,

We are in a very similar situation my husband is Cameroonian and we have decided to start a few businesses in Cameroon.

Ive been to visit (beginning of this year) and I had a great time, but life is very different from here in the UK.

I read your post about what it is like being white in Cameroon, everyone was lovely and very welcoming to me. I didnt have any negative experiences except a few men trying to get in my pants. I guess as a white woman you will be regarded as exotic especially in the smaller towns, a few people had never seen a white person before and would turn and stare and point at me, as Im quite shy I found this a little difficult but you get used to it. My husband quite bluntly informed me I looked like fresh meat and with a bit of a tan and less of a look of amazement on my face I would blend in better. There are other expats in Douala I met a few British and Germans in a bar and they seem very happy  Im sure Yaounde is the same especially as places like the British embassy is based there.   

While I am excited it is also slightly daunting :-) I would suggest if you dont speak French you start learning now. In my case I found sitting with my husbands family quite hard as they spoke very little English and I was eager to get to know them, but a smile will get you a long way.   

Not sure where to start, maybe you could ask a few questions about things that you are interested in or concerned about and I can let you know my experiences. 
FI

Good afternoon,

I am André-Robert and I arrived in Douala 2 months ago.
I work for the financial market field and I will be so pleased  to be in touch with other executive professionnal here in Cameroun.

With best regards;

André-Robert

am from Bamenda

verry thank to accept me in the forum.

hello am oben benny from cameroon am a supplier of foods and beverages products.

appoben10 wrote:

hello am oben benny from cameroon am a supplier of foods and beverages products.

Welcome to the forum. Please give us some information about yourself so that members can decide whether to make contact with you or not.

hi all;
am Sylvia from Cameroon; living in Douala actually working with one rods and nails manufacturing firm in town as temporal commercial.
I do speak and write both french and english. will like to share some good ideas with others.

Thanx in advance

[ Moderated : Please register your company in our business directory]

I am Dr Nott Joseph , I have some ssd chemical , Activation powder for sale .
email: [email protected]
Thanks

I am Mr. Ejimofo Ikegbunam Charles with BSc. Political Science and Public Administration from the University of Buea and also with a Diploma in Transport and Logistics, presently doing professional internship at Marine Magistrale: I am bilingual and athletic with 2years basketball experience in the University Games representing the University of Buea. Am very agile and young. I really love hotel jobs but i have never had an opportunity to work in one and that is my greatest wish now. Thats me

hello everybody; im ronisse living in douala precisely at the industrial zone bonaberi. just a new commer hoping to enjoy a stay with you all. im just an HND under graduate; im still waiting for my result. i did study electrical electronic engineering and very apte in electrical power systems.hope to learn more from you and where possible suggest too an important idea.thanks

well dear;
i could not actually found myself where you directed me to create my c.v
just to know can i create it on a post reply?

How do I register myself and/or our company?

Hi Berrnie - here ---> Cameroon business directory please :)

Bom dia a todos estou recebendo propostas para trabalhar no camarões mais pelo alto salario e desespero da empresa para me levar embora desconfio de Fraude, a empresa diz estar construindo estrada Yaounde, alguem poderia me dizer se conhece a tal empresa chama Burns Construction Company
Región Centro
Yaounde
Camarões
Tel: 00237-939 735 22

@ marcussoldador > Can you please post in english only on this english speaking forum? It will help everybody to understand what you just said here. ;)

Thank you,

Priscilla

New tourist Guide Bamenda Cameroon

[moderated: pls drop your resume in the jobs section]

Hi everyone.
My name is Ngassa Ernest, A Cameroonian from the West Region.I am from the French speaking part of Cameroon but I am perfectly bilingual.
I am General manager for Worldwide Marine Services.We are ship suppliers and offshore contractors in Cameroon and the GOG.
I am glad to be here and would like to meet new friends.

Trm alguém do Brasil ai em camarões?

Hello arqdiogoquix

Welcome to Expat.com

Kindly note that you are participating on the English version of the site, as such you are kindly requested to write only in English so as to ease interaction between members.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

hi everyone,
my name is ticha olive, a cameroonian by birth from north west regoin but presently in limbe. a degree holder in computer networks. nice to be here hoping to share more

'm Diogo, I'm going to Brazil to work in Youndae. How things work, can someone help me?

I'm looking for some Brazilian who lives in Cameroon, preferably in Maroua. I am a representative of a laboratory and we are buying some samples of products produced in Cameroon. I need a business contact to promote negotiations in the country and make shipping to Brazil. Great gains (skype: jr.sampaioo)

I AM A TALENTED YOUNG CAMEROONIAN THAT NEEDS A JOB

WELL THAT WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM BECOUSE I AM BILINGUAL

NADING DERICK wrote:

WELL THAT WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM BECOUSE I AM BILINGUAL

Please do not post in uppercase.
It is rude and considered to be the same as shouting at someone. Thank you.

:idontagree: hi tell me more of you and your current city

Hey,

I will be moving to Douala in November. Hope to get insights on the place before I come.

Hi everyone
I have been staying iin cameroon, douala for 1 month now, and i would like to meet people staying in douala. And does anyone here know of a place in doula where i can learn french from. contact me on my email

Closed