New members of the Costa Rica forum, introduce yourself here

Also, I did not see medications listed on that link you sent me as forbidden items to ship.

No...I only posted the first page link, sorry. Here it is Shipping anything now has become very expensive and duty must be paid on nearly everything.

Personally, if I was in your shoes, I would opt for the three month visit, although, that period is in our rainy season. I have only visited the Heredia area, but is much cooler and wetter at that altitude. You can search for vacation rentals which should include most everything you should need, with a few exceptions I'm sure. Most visitors come when the snow is on the ground, so Nov-May is popular for snowbirds.
These 'vacation rentals' are more expensive though, so booking in for a few nights at a hotel while you find suitable is a good idea. Check out VRBO, Flipkey, Airbb . Most of these are in more tourist areas. Craigslist offers some too, but suggest you wait until you can view it in person.
At least staying for an extended vacation will give you an idea on whether CR is for you and a young family.
Good luck!

May I ask what part of Costa Rica you are in? How long have you lived there & what do you love and hate about it? :) Also, do you feel it is a child friendly country?
We would probably want to stay somewhere not overly touristy but still comfortable enough for newbies to adjust while we explore. We would definitely rent a car. Flying into San Jose is the most probable option I'm
assuming? What city would you
recommend for first timers that love nature, culture, hiking, fishing, etc. We have 3 boys. :) When I think touristy I think of hotel after hotel, commercialized congestion catered to Americans. Not our idea of a vacation. The whole reason we are interested in moving is to leave behind what's common here & really experience something completely different. We always want to know where the locals eat, swim, play, etc, not what's on the tour guide!

I will PM you  with some additional information.

Hello!

Ali & Brian here! We are going to Costa Rica in 2 days, we will be there for the summer. We rented a condo in Playas del coco. We are traveling with our two dogs, one 60lb and a 30lb, we went through jet-a-pet. I am getting a bit nervous because it just hit me that our agent never asked for a return date for them  :blink:  I just assumed since we could not travel to CR without a return flight they couldn't either and assumed she would hold off on the return date (due to the blackouts for pet travel). We paid a little over $3000.00 and I am just wondering if this is a round trip or one way, I am freaking out!!! I sent her an email and probably will not hear from her until tomorrow morning.  Anyone have any recent experience on shipping dogs to and from CR??  :sosad:

For the price you paid, I would hope it includes a return flight...but don't bank on it. Did you agent book your return flight? Pets are not guaranteed 'space' on the airplane' since they are not traveling 'in cabin' but as 'excess baggage' or 'Cargo'. Cargo is more expensive since it involves a broker, such as jet-a-pet.
Hope you can get verification today.
You will also need to get a new health certificate for both dogs before you return.

I'm doing the same thing.I've been to CR many times and plan on retiring in the Jaco beach area.maybe we will meet.I may stay for a month to find a place before moving my stuff. H.D.

Hi, my name is Lori.  My husband Kurt and I just moved to Costa Rica, Herradura to be exact.  We moved here with our 3 dogs and 2 cats.  My husband drove with 4 of the pets & flew with one cat.  WE are retired attorneys, who owned our own law practice in MI.  We are aged 37 and 43.  We own a house here and are in the process via lawyers to become residents.  We moved here to escape the fast paced US environment.  Thus far, it is amazing.

Nice.How did you come to pick CR.I am 65 and plan on moving to CR in November.maybe I will run into you there.love the weather and the people. H.D.

Just need help to move to Costa Rica as a teacher. Finances are hard on me here in Ghana as a teacher with a little salary. A professional science teacher who has been teaching integrated science and chemistry for the past four years at the senior high school level in Ghana. Link me up if there is any opportunity you know of.

Hi. I'm Raf from the Philippines. I'm relocating to Costa Rica sometime this June because I'm planning to start work in Hewlett-Packard in Ultra Park II in Lagunilla de Heredia by July 1. My assignment will require me to stay for at least 2 years and what happens after that is up to fate. I am looking forward to meet visitors like myself in such a beautiful country. Pura Vida!

Planning my first trip to Costa Rico in August with an eye toward finding that perfect retirement spot. My wife and I have talked about the Grecia area and I would like to find a short term rental (3 months or so) just to try it out. Looking forward to watching this blog and would really like to meet people who have made the leap.
Travis

Hi! My name is Katie. I just moved to CATIE University in Turrialba, Costa Rica. It's so hot here!

wilsonamey wrote:

Just need help to move to Costa Rica as a teacher. Finances are hard on me here in Ghana as a teacher with a little salary. A professional science teacher who has been teaching integrated science and chemistry for the past four years at the senior high school level in Ghana. Link me up if there is any opportunity you know of.

I don't mean to burst your bubble but teachers don't get paid much at all in Costa Rica. Also I'm not sure if they need science teachers and if someone doesn't sponsor you, you would not be allowed to work legally in Costa Rica. You would want to line up a job first before moving there if you need income coming in...

Just trying to give you the info to avoid any false expectations.

tfiddler01 wrote:

Planning my first trip to Costa Rico in August with an eye toward finding that perfect retirement spot. My wife and I have talked about the Grecia area and I would like to find a short term rental (3 months or so) just to try it out. Looking forward to watching this blog and would really like to meet people who have made the leap.
Travis

Hi, you're doing the right thing by renting first to see if you like the area!
From what I know, Grecia is a gringo "hot spot" and thus more expensive than other areas. You may want to consider San Ramon which isn't quite as "discovered" yet and is just up the road a ways.

Unless money is "no object" I would consider staying at a hotel for a couple weeks to a month before signing a lease on a house or condo to rent. I say that because you can often find much better deals when you get TO an area and start talking to people, as opposed to renting based on stuff you find on the internet (often prices are higher on the internet - think of it as being the convenience store!).

I have rented in Costa Rica a few times and every time I have found my places by staying at a hotel for a few days to a week and then asking the locals - Ticos and gringos - if they know of a place. Sometimes you can find Americans who know someone who has an empty home that they would like to have someone stay in, instead of it sitting empty but it's not necessarily listed on the net, or even if it is you might make a "deal" if you speak with them in person.

Just some food for thought...

katiestrails wrote:

Hi! My name is Katie. I just moved to CATIE University in Turrialba, Costa Rica. It's so hot here!

What brought you to Turrialba? Is that in the mountains or low-lands? I know where it is but have never been there.
The rule of thumb in Costa Rica is to stay above 2000 feet unless you want to be HOT! ;-D
And if you get up around 4000 feet you may actually get cold!

Turrialba is cool...compared to many areas of Costa Rica. Over the years, I have met many of the teachers who have been employed at CATIE.The facility, itself, is a very interesting place to visit.
Enjoy it!

Hi, I am Gary, age 66, planning to move to Costa Rica, looking for good place to live..
responding to ads, and getting information..
I am retired substance abuse counselor, don't smoke, drink, use drugs…exercise regular..
so need a local gym to join, as well as local AA meetings to attend..
and live where to ride bicycle..
I am looking for contacts to get information on what to address prior to coming to costa rica,
I found this person-- David Shillibeer in Palmares, Alajuela-
costaricaoasis.net/residency_services
Is anyone familiar with him? his services? his rental properties?
my email is [email protected]
I would love, appreciate any one responding--who is been in costa rica a while--and has experience in what to do.
Gary

My boyfriend is getting a joint degree from CATIE and from the University of North Texas! I'm just here because he's here. Hangin' out. You know.

I think we're a little above 2,000 feet elevation. It gets pretty hot during the day but it cools way down when it's raining and at night. It's not so bad yet!

My husband and I have been retired for awhile and have decided to move to Puntarenas. We will be there late June 2014 and we are hoping to make some friends between Puntarenas and San Jose. We are also interested in finding good spots to meet up with people and find good food.

Are there any groups we can join or people nearby interested in meeting up?

Thanks.

Hello,

My name is sébastien married and 2 children. We live in France, my wife is secretary and I have a wine business.
We are going to Costa Rica next february for 3 weeks for holidys and also to meet people and see the real way of life overthere.  We plan to leave France in a near future to start a new life but we have many questions about school for the childreen, social sécurity.  We would like to open our own business. we were thinking to open a few cabinas, but there are already so many that we don't know if it is a good idea.
During our trip we hope to meet people which leave there for a few years to have a idea of living in CR

I hope to get a few mails to have contacts when we arrive next february

Thanks

Welcome! Good reading for potential residents, costaricalaw, private schools, and another school site, CAJA healthcare premiums which is mandatory for residency.
Regarding working here, please read this information even in your own business.
Hope you enjoy your visit!

hello everyone,

my name is joseph. I own a lighting and dj company here in the states and wish to live in costa rica part of the year every year and run my business there. pawnlasers.com i don't know what is needed for me to legally operate and charge for my services in costa rica.

also i am looking to buy a foreclosure property in costa rica and i don't know what the rules are for purchasing property or cars in my name before i get my dual citizenship.

also i need to bring my dogs so i will need to ship them i am looking into ways to do that any help would be greatly appreciated.

You should read the residency and work information, before making any decisions

While there is some bank foreclosures, it is the bank that advertises them.

thank you i will check ou that link

hi ,my name is Bill and im thinking of moving to costa rica. San Jose area. I live in las vegas Nevada. im not sure really where to go im  just looking into all cities, the heat is not a problem, im  use to it. Im single, not looking to start a new life, just finish my old one. for once in my life I want to be Happy. I hear a lot of bad comments, sorry, I think ill just visit first, that way Ill have options..

Hey! I will be moving in September with my GF (who is native to Escazu). I will be working remote for my firm in Boston. I have sooo many questions about starting a business and paying taxes (while I telecommute) for my firm in Boston. If anyone else telecommutes from the USA please let me know so we can chat. Looking forward to the move!

If you are working remotely while a tourist you do not need to register your business. Not all areas provide decent internet speed so check around first.

Hi

Extremely happy retired cop from Miami, currently living the dream!
It was my wife's and I dream to come down to sunny Costa Rica.. She past away before we got to do it. However I like to think I am experiencing it for the both of us.

I truly love to help people so don't hesitate to ask for it! Funny how life changes.. I am currently operating 3 small "cabinas" in Guanacaste and welcome all of you. Mi casa su casa!

Wish you all a great afternoon.
Pura vida!

Big Frank.

[ Moderated : No free ads please ]

Hi my name is Sylvana.  I am from Holland and currently living in Santa Ana, Costa Rica with my family for expat seasons.  Most important pros and cons for me are;
+country itself is beautiful!
+High quality roads and stores available
+nice people
+lots of expats
-pretty expensive, especially considering what you get for your money comparing to Europe
-if you go out on your own you'd have to speak Spanish

if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Hey all, this is my third year in CR.  It wasn't my intention to move here, but I fell in love with a tico (oops!), and dropped everything to move here to be with him.  So here I am!

Big Frank

Mi casa su casa - My home is your home?

Jim

Greetings to expats already in Costa Rica or planning on  relocating. I am considering a retirement to Costa Rica. I have spent a little time in Guatemala, but feel that Costa Rica would be a better choice. I will be receiving social security in a couple of months-yes, I will be 62! I'm seeking to share expenses with another expat in order to live on SS. I'm single-divorced, with 2 grown sons in Florida and 3 adorable grandchildren. Fortunately, one of my sons works for Jet Blue, so I receive parental flight benefits, which makes Costa Rica an even more attractive option. I practiced pharmacy in Florida in Florida for 23 years, but I am no longer licensed. i wouldn't mind working with those who are in dire need of healthcare in Costa Rica. I also write, self-published on Amazon. I wish to continue my writing in retirement. I'm open to suggestions, especially financial considerations. Glad to join the group!

Ira

Hi All!

I am most likely going to be moving to Heredia, Costa Rica in January of 2015. I want to teach here. I have my B.A degree and will be TEFL certified as well. I'm looking for resources into what sort of documents that I need to bring into Costa Rica, and anything else that I need to know. I'm also looking for a community of people that I can befriend once I move there.

Help needed!

Best,
Erin

Hi there!

My name is Erin and I'm planning on moving to CR (Heredia to be exact), in Jan. 2015. I want to teach English there. I have a B.A. and will be TEFL certified before-hand. Any tips? I'm looking for housing, a community, friends, and a job.

Any help and info would be super helpful.

Best,
Erin

Please read numerous previous posts.  To work in Costa Rica legally you must have obtained permanent resident status and that may take 3-5 years.  There are a few exemptions but very few qualify (teachers being one of the professions).  Not trying to discourage you but please check into what you are proposing.

Dianne cannot legally work here until she has obtained Permanent residency.

Hi!  I'm Penny Lockhart and my husband and I live in Chicago.  I am a retired lawyer and my husband, Charles, is still practicing dentistry.  After nearly 40 years of practice, he still loves it and isn't ready to retire!!  I, on the other hand, am looking for a place to spend my winters, with an eventual eye to retirement there. 

Due to health issues, I can no longer stay in Chicago during our never-ending winters.  I have spent a lot of time in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico and it is quite expensive now, as well as being a very crowded little town.  So I started thinking about Costa Rica, Panama, and Ecuador.

Now, back in 2003, I went to an International Living conference in Paris and ended up buying a tiny house in Languedoc, France.  We kept our house (in the town of Magalas) for six years until we realized traveling there was too difficult and expensive to justify keeping the house.

I now avoid what I call "the International Living effect", the rosy picture those folks at IL paint about the easy life achievable in a large variety of places.  I have always been pretty adventurous but now I do my own homework.  And that's what I'm doing now...reading as much as I can about the places that interest me.

Good weather is key.  My husband prefers a temperature around 65-70 and I'm OK with that.  In both Panama and Costa Rica, it;s easy enough to get from the highlands to the beach.

So I'm looking now for a modest winter rental, a one or two-bedroom for me and my bichon frise!!

Please check your inbox, I sent you a link.

Closed