New members of the Canada forum, introduce yourself here

Hello everyone. My name is Imon. I am planning to apply under "Federal skilled workers". I checked for current job availability. But looks like its very difficult to get job in Canada without Canadian experience or Canadian educational background. I am confused about actual situation in Canada. My field is IT (Network).

I am new to this Blog but not so to Canada. I have been in Calgary since coming here as a landed immigrant in 1990. I  retired from engineering in 2009 and since then, been traveling (mostly Asia) every year. Now I spend a good part of my time doing that, filming and photographing.

Hi I'm Jason. I'm plan to migrate to Canada. I like to know what's the living standard in Canada compare to Singapore . Anyone can share. Appreciate.

Hi, its true very difficult get a same job without Canadian training or experience. First move then you can get any job after stay 6/12 month then get training. hope you will get good job. Canada is really very nice country, So dont delay for apply.  I myself  planning to move Canada for continue live and work.

[Moderated: off topic]

nevermind

Hie I'm Nash, currently studying for a diploma in mining engineering, I wanna move to Canada in atleast 2yrs, anyone who could help me with job offers in respect to my trade please feel welcome, I joined this forum to already start gathering information

It is true that without the Canadian experience, it will be harder to find a job here. I have been here for over 5 years, and I can tell you that it gets better with time. Patience, perseverance, and determination is the key.

Note: For those in the IT field, don't make large BIG cities like Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal/Calgary be your only final destination. Smaller ones can be just as interesting and provide an overall better quality of life. Take for example Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I am Francis young guy working with the High Commission of India In Accra. I am someone very fluent in English and French wants to work and live in Canada.

Mining job offers?, hook me up please,

Hi all,

I am fairly new to Canada. I came Aug 2013. now I am a freelance recruiter. I hire locally and internationally. now I am hiring teachers and doctors to Saudi Arabia and Dubai. I like Canada except the tough winter that we had this year! but now Summer is here ! hourayy :)

You are right it is really hard to get a job in Canada. it is not impossible but luck and connection play a big role in granting you a job! If you speak french you have higher chances as well. But what I can tell you for sure that It is not easy and it might take you up to 1 year (sometimes more) to get a job. Competition is very high. If you decide to come make sure you hve enough money to live for about a year without income or you might need to consider survival jobs like drivers..

Note : i am talking in general but exception exists where people gets jobs easier than others.

Tanks for your advise. Really appreciate.

To add to the point that mtjobs mentioned where luck and connection plays a big role - this only comes with effort. You'll need to be the right candidate with the skillets that the folks here are looking for. Obviously if you get into an industry that is saturated - then the harder it is to get noticed, take for example finance or accounting. But computer engineers, computer scientist, software engineers, software architects,etc. These are rare talent that not many Canadians have themselves. But that's half the story as the other part is all about your communication skills. English is obviously very important. Last but not least, "network, network, network". Always have your resume updated and join organizations, network events, etc. E.g. here in Nova Scotia, join the Greater Halifax Partnership which will keep you abreast with all the networking events. You should do the same wherever you want to be. So without effort (in research), you won't know.

Hi guys, thank you to have accepted me in this forum.
I am Vittorio (30 years old) and I'm still living in Italy.
In my city I work as lawyer (English level B2) but I'm thinking to go to Canada to find a better job. Infact, as you surely know, in Italy it's quite difficult to earn money with that particular kind of job.
Obviousely I don't pretend to became a lawyer in Canada, I just want to find a good job that give to me the indipendence that I need.
Do you have any good suggestion to help me to find a job? For example which kind of work I should look for?
Thanks for the attention, have a nice day!
Vittorio

Hello Vik983 and Welcome to Expat.com!

Maybe you should check out amongst the jobs in canada to see what kind of job is presently available. From there you can make yourself an idea and know in which field you would like to work.

Regards

Kenjee

Vik983, word on the ground is Canadian companies are notorious for employing folks with "Canadian experience". Catch is that if you're not given a chance then how would one get such an experience. Exceptions apply mainly if you come from English speaking countries - their favourite being American, Britain or Ireland. If you did graduate from Canada, your chances are better or if you speak French in addition to English.

Special skilled jobs like welding, mining, wood working, plumbing fair better chances particularly in provinces like Alberta/ Saskatewan.

However this is just a generalization. From my experience, my skill-sets are niche, even in the IT industry. Particularly in the area that I am living in - there're just a handful of folks with my skill-sets (5 in the province). Plus, I did not graduate from a Canadian university. So my potential employer at that time (now the company I am working with) were willing to go the distance to hire me and also help me with the immigration process.

Oh, also 30 isn't too late. That's the time I make my big move over to here 5 years ago.

Hi
Can I know is there any limited age control by gorvenment of Canada.
Roughly how long the processing time for applying PR in Canada. Thanks

As far as I know there is no age limit, just that you must be above 18. But your attractiveness as potential immigrant gets lesser and lesser starting from 35 onwards. The points you obtain if you're 36 is less a point then the range of 18 - 35. A few years back, it was 40 or but it has since dropped to 35.

Thank you for your warm welcome.  We love Toronto but can't afford to live there. We have visited and enjoy London. We will be looking for an apartment in London as we can commute to Detroit for our medical care and to visit friends and relatives. We have excellent medical ins. which we secured via our employment.

Hi guys, I'm Recks. Presently residing and working in Manila,  Philippines. Just got our approval for Permanent Residency in Canada. I'm planning to move there by late this year or early next year. Hope you can help me sort out what things to prepare and things to do....  how to start our new journey in a totally new place. Your tips are very very much appreciated... Thanks. God bless.
(Ooops before I forgot. I invite you to visit the Philippines.. if you love the sun and beautiful beaches.. friendly people..this is the place. .. come and you'll see what I mean.)  :)

Welcome to the club. Any thoughts of where you might want to land?

Well, each province has a not-for-profit organization that reaches out to newcomers and provide support and help for their settlement needs. If I am not mistaken in your acceptance letter/email from the CIC, they would have directed you to a website for all your newcomers needs.

I did a quick google and this is their site: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/ … /index.asp
Click on the 'Find settlement services in your area' link which would bring you to a google maps that hi lights the centres which provides these services on the map.

Take for example if you're heading to Nova Scotia, you'd be going to http://www.isisns.ca
PEI - http://www.peianc.com
Ontario - http://www.settlement.org/index.asp
etc etc.

There's also a good document guide from CIC which details things you need to know that answers your questions in terms of preparation etc. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/pub/welcome.pdf

The owner of the magazine, 'Canadian Immigrant', Nick Noorani (who was an immigrant himself) has additional guides to note for in terms of integrating in the job culture which is an extra for you to read if want: http://www.philipyeo.net/wp-content/upl … anada1.pdf
which is taken from his site: http://www.prepareforcanada.com that has immense information on what to watch out for.

Hope this helps.

btw, haven't been to Philippines but perhaps I would on my way back to Malaysia...

paalam na
Philip

Thanks Philip for your inputs. We're try our chances in Alberta,  Edmonton maybe or anywhere where there are lots of jobs for Engineering or Trades. They say Edmonton is a place for OIl and Gas workers, well I guess that's my place.

I really hope you can see our Boracay or Palawan. Thanks again.

Hello everyone,
I'm emily from nigeria I'm 35years old married with 2 kids. We just submitted our application for QSW about 4 weeks ago awaiting AOR. I just finished my masters programme in business administration and presently working as an administrative officer In a teaching hospital. Just want to know what to expect in the interview if there is going to be one. Though I just started learning french with my husband. My husband is a civil engr and has worked as an engr for close to 10years now. I've been working for 5years now. We are planning on settling down in montreal west montreal most likely. Which areas in west montreal will be good to settle first as I understand that english is spoken in west montreal as we are just learning french so we can settle fast and not feel left out or frustrated.   Pls what advice do you have that can help us during the processing of this visa. Thanks do have a great day

Congrats. Alberta is the place to be for folks in your field of expertise. Although there are mining, you may want to look into Saskatchewan which too has a burgeoning resource mining industry albeit not as established as Alberta's.

fishress, I can't say much for QSW as I only applied to FSW. Plus I'm not familiar with Montreal or its suburbs. My only advice is not too let the application process take over your daily affairs and stress you guys up like it did for me. If I can do it all over again, I would probably use an immigration lawyer at my first try (I got rejected first, and I am going through NSPNP and now engaging the services of an immigration lawyer).

Thanks dear, we are actually using an immigration lawyer and I'm just hoping we will not be rejected or refused. Thanks so much really appreciate it.

Hi, I am a kenyan citizen aged 25yrs. I hold a diploma in kenya registered community health nursing I wish to relocate to Canada to work possibly advance my education in Canada.

hello to everyone,
My name is Dr. Raj. currently I am engaged in agro commodities. for last 25 years I am exporting agro product. Our Brand RAJ MAHAL BASMATI RICE  is quite famous/ well known all over the world especially in Europe and Middle east.
Now I want to start same Business in Canada with the help of Canada govt. we can put up food park in any city of Canada. and can do Export to USA

Dr Raj,

You should probably look into this option
http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGlish/immigrate/ … /index.asp

xnks im proud to be part of the team

I am Ameh Andrew lives in Ibrede ndokwa east local goverment area in delta state nigeria africa.
Am single, a civil servant by profession,i have heard a lots of good and things about canada which i long to relocate to canada but i actually don't the way forward,though i have my passport already.from what i have heard about this great country canada i wish to live in canada and God's willing raise my kids there too.however good ppl of canada i greet you all thanks

(moderated: please post in jobs section)

I am Getu Wolde born in Addis Ababa Etiopia in13/12/59 married graduated from Wondo Genet College of Forestry and Natural Resources.

Worked in Agriculture Department from forest expert to Natural Resources Conservation and Development Coordinator, as Mago National Park Warden.

Currently working as Medicinal Plants Project Officer which is established by Ethiopian Biodiversity Institute based United Nations Environment Program me and Global Environment Facility.

I am living in Jinka, south Omo Zone which is found in most south western of Ethiopia.with wife and four children..

[ Moderated : Expat.com is not a dating site ]

manuelernesto wrote:

[ Moderated : Expat.com is not a dating site ]

Welcome to the forum.

As this is an Anglophone forum could you please post in ENGLISH so that members can understand your post and perhaps offer information or advice.
Also introduce yourself to the forum with a little information about yourself. Thank you.

Hello manuelernesto,

Just two bits of strong advice for you as you appear to be starting off here on the wrong foot.

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/DATESITE_zps40374a09.jpg

First of all Expat-blog is not a dating site, postings either seeking or offering personal relationships are not permitted on our forums.

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/ENGLISH_zps6781a35b.jpg

Second, you are posting to the English language version of the Canada Forum, so kindly post in ENGLISH ONLY in this and other Anglophone forums. Each of our forums have 5 separate language-specific versions (English, French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese). You may access any of these forums by clicking on the flag icon you will find in the green banner at the top of each page and then selecting the desired language. In each of these forums you should post ONLY IN THE FORUM'S LANGUAGE.

Please read the CANADA FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT

and

Expat-blog Terms & Conditions of Use

These are the rules that our members are all expected to comply with when using our forums.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

HI.. I am Richard.  I am from New York. Me and my wife are planning to stay in Canada for a few months. We are coming to Toronto. As we both love travelling, our main aim is to visit as many tourist spots in Canada.

Hi,my name is Nadia,'m an English teacher at high school,i want to move to USA..any one has information i'll appreciate if u share it with me.

@shinysmile. do you want to move to Canada or USA ??

Either way you will need to see if you qualify for a visa of some kind before you can make a move. USA will be difficult as you will need a sponsor. There are good posts on the Canada forum with details of immigration sites to contact.

Closed