The lack of reciprocity of respect in Kuwait

As a teacher teaching in a Muslim school, I am careful to be respectful to Islam and the Arab world.  Sadly, many here do not reciprocate that respect.  My experiences are cautionary for any Westerners considering being an Expat in Kuwait.  You will be treated as a high class servant, but a servant nevertheless.  Your wages will be higher if you are an American, a Brit, a Kiwi, an Aussie, etc. but if you have a dispute the threat of their ministry or their legal system is real.  They will block your exit.  You will be delayed at your own expense.  All the money you saved will be lost.  Thankfully, I've learned my lesson before it went that far, but even though the money is good, DO NOT choose Kuwait.

I'm sorry that you had to go through such an experience (even though I don't know exactly what happened with you, but I can guess).

It's very easy to have a very bad experience here in Kuwait, and there are many people here in Kuwait who damage its image.

However, for some of those who spent years in Kuwait (and I'm one of them), it can be one of the best places to live in, or at least it used to be until very recently.

In my opinion, it really depends on where you're from, what you're doing here and who you're connected with. This could be heaven or this could be hell. Hope you'll meet people (probably on this blog) who might get you to change your mind.

Good luck

That's basically what all the survivors of Kuwait say.  I think there is some sort of "Stockholm Syndrome" effect going on here.  Those who thrive here ignore the fucked-up-ness of this place and remember the income they could generate.  The Kuwaitis live in palatial homes and basically don't work.  That is going to be my biggest take away from this cluster-fuck of a country.  I value people.  I value work.  These values are at odds with Kuwait.  Kuwait values money, period.  Upset the gilding on their cage, and they extort money from you to cover it up because they don't want to see the cage.  The only people who make it tolerable are the other Expats.

Gringo my friend you are preaching to the choir.

luckily here you are consoled by the other expats around who give u their view, once upon a time I posted an article to my blog about how public health care facilities were to be exclusively for Kuwaitis only in the morning hours (1/3 of the population enjoying an entire shift to themselves) and for everyone else in the evening. The only two comments on that article were I guess authored by locals as they spoke along the lines of "biting the hand that feeds" and "if you dont like it leave".

there exists a sickness within this society of mimicking people's worst habits as opposed to their best; the hierarchy that exists keeps shifting down i.e. a director mocks manager who mocks supervisor who mocks employee who mocks tea boy who mocks security guard.

I disagree with you on one thing tho; it is not stockholm syndrome. that would imply the formation of a bond between both parties. keep in mind that some of the expats you see here are not classified as expats at all. some were born and raised here, and came back to work here. they are as much expats in their own countries as they are here, completely unaccustomed.

I will not raise the fact that it is much easier for certain nationalities to find employment elsewhere, but since we are being honest, it is. a lot of people would rather work elsewhere, and actively pursue it, however to no avail.

I will end this rather long post with a note; how people treat you reflects their upbringing, how you treat them reflects yours. no one has the right to spoil your mood. i would love to get together and hear about your experience (weekend right around the corner), sharing helps :)

I can't help to notice that everyone in this thread is absolutely right.

I completely agree with @legacy ... If you accept @gringo1970 we'll be happy to show you some support. Expats should be each others pillars of support.

So if you guys agree on a time and place, I'd be happy to join and pull my weight :)

A point of clarification about the Stockholm Syndrome parallel ... not all Kuwait expats suffer from this delusion, just those that think they're included, the ones that turn away and feel nothing for the suffering of their fellow Expats and/or side with the oppressor (like the administrators at some schools here).

If that's not clear enough, it could also be seen as parallel to the House vs. Field slave experience.  The ones I described as having Stockholm Syndrome would be the House slaves.  They think they've got it good.  They've got good wages.  Why would they want to leave.  Then there's the Field slave who realize the House slaves are cooperating with the slave masters (Kuwaitis) and hate them all the more for the betrayal.

I am proudly a field slave in this analogy and will be working to hard to find a contract in a less oppressive country.

Whatever your next destination may be, try to avoid Serbia - its the same here, we're enslaved but with one big smile and wrapped up in shiny paper....I dont think Kuwait is oppressive, at least my experience with ppl there is not like that. Yes, they are not naive and yes they do not trust anyone, but once uve gained their trust and once they have realized u have nothing but good intentions - they'll love you.
As a European I encountered this lack of trust and sort of being looked down on, but it took me just a little time to prove them I am well-meaning, Since then I have been treated with respect and as a true friend.
Anyway - I hope you'll have more luck in your next destination :)

Whew! What I know my friend is Kuwait is good place to live in but thanks for that info. I will no longer choose Kuwait to work with,..any suggestion sir in the part of Europe country where I will apply a baby sitter job,? I am from Bontoc, Mountain Province, Philippines and I am searching for baby sitter job abroad..Part of Europe is very ok with me,...thank you

Kuwait doesn't have "baby sitter" jobs anyways so it would be better for you to head in another direction and bypass the Middle East.

I absolutely agree with gringo and also that Stockholm syndrome as well. And these kuwaities think they are doing a great favour by offering pennies to expats and treats them like insects. And these guys used to shit in their pants only to Saddam and as long as he was alive they were afraid to improve their real estate as well. within a month of his capture/hanging, kuwait went all out to construct multistorey apts.
Marina, don't you ever compare serbia with kuwait, as i lived in both the places as expat and there is a sea of difference. In kuwait people can't even breathe freely. In serbia, people are not rich but happy and contended with a glass of local scotch made from pears.
In kuwait you feel as if you are in a golden cage, full of assholes.

Just as some countries are not a proper "fit" for some expats; some expats are not a proper "fit" for some countries.

It sounds to me like @gringo1970 simply was a square peg in a round hole in Kuwait, I'm sure he's a much better "fit" in Mexico which is still a developing nation.

James wrote:

Just as some countries are not a proper "fit" for some expats; some expats are not a proper "fit" for some countries.

although somewhat rhetorical in nature... I think this is the first statement that I would actually agree with from James... lol

:dumbom:

hmmmm... several posts behind me just disappeared ... more of that community censorship I guess ... lol   :unsure