Thinking About Buying A Scooter ,Looking For Advise/Help.

Hi Everyone,this is my first time trying this out.
I  am from Canada and living in Manila ,I will be travelling back to Winnipeg ,Mb. in April for the summer months and returning to Manila Oct.to April , 6 to 7 months ,to get away from our cold winters.Hopefully I will be able to do this from now on.
I have travelled to the Philippines 3 times now , first time for one month ,2nd. time for 3 months and this time for almost 7 months.
The help/advise I am looking for is I am thinking about buying a new scooter , the approx. cost of the scooter is 300,000ph., so I want to make sure i know what I am doing before i do this.
Any input regarding ,purchasing,licensing,registration,insurance,storage from anyone regarding doing this would be very much appreciated.
Seeing that I would be out of the country for 5 to 6 months I would also be looking for storage facility.

Thank you,
Réal D

Do you know anyone here in Manila? local or foreign. This is a big concerned for you to take care of the scooter while you are gone.

Hi and thank you for your reply.
Yes that definitely is a big concern of mine, the only idea I have had is maybe a self storage facility.I am actually going to one in the port area tomorrow.I am not sure if they would even allow me to store a scooter in a storage facility.

I'm not an expert, just trying to help.

Purchasing a car or scooter in the Philippines is easy. Simply go to the store choose the Scooter you want then pay for it. They can do the registration for you. You will have a temporary Plate number with a text of " For Registration". They will let you know when your Plate number is ready. But of course you can already drive it around you will have a paper to show just in case Authority will check. As easy as that.  :)

Regarding the insurance, the Store can help you with that. But when I bought mine it comes with the insurance so maybe it goes the same. :)

Regarding the Licensing, I'm not really sure about it but I think you can use your Foreign Drivers License within 90 days. During that time you can process your Drivers License in the Philippines. Better check the LTO website. You can just search for their website.

Good Luck!

To be honest, that is a huge amount for a scooter. What kind of scooter is that? Maybe its a Big bike like 250cc yamaha. Planning to run around town when you came back here :) Well I hope you find your luck going to port area for a storage. But in any case you need a help.. just hit me a mail.

cheers!

Hi
yes that's big money for scooter, I have a Honda Beat cost 60,000p and can't fault it, automatic just the shot to get around
Pete

Vespa had a sale for p99k.  A friend of mine owns a big bike shop (Harleys) and recently leased additional space to house bikes for temp storage (or rather people who cant pay on time). Place is in Mierville. Cruiserparts.com.ph.

EnajLopih wrote:

I'm not an expert, just trying to help.

Purchasing a car or scooter in the Philippines is easy. Simply go to the store choose the Scooter you want then pay for it. They can do the registration for you. You will have a temporary Plate number with a text of " For Registration". They will let you know when your Plate number is ready. But of course you can already drive it around you will have a paper to show just in case Authority will check. As easy as that.  :)

Regarding the insurance, the Store can help you with that. But when I bought mine it comes with the insurance so maybe it goes the same. :)

Regarding the Licensing, I'm not really sure about it but I think you can use your Foreign Drivers License within 90 days. During that time you can process your Drivers License in the Philippines. Better check the LTO website. You can just search for their website.

Good Luck!

Thank you for the information ,;-)

versan wrote:

To be honest, that is a huge amount for a scooter. What kind of scooter is that? Maybe its a Big bike like 250cc yamaha. Planning to run around town when you came back here :) Well I hope you find your luck going to port area for a storage. But in any case you need a help.. just hit me a mail.

cheers!

Hi again,
Well never made it to the port ,maybe tomorrow ,but got to check out to scooter dealers.
And yes the scooter I am thinking about getting is quite large ,the reason I want something this big is for us to go touring the Philippines.Where ever that might take us.And from what I am told is that you need a scooter/bike 400cc or larger to drive the main highways here.
The larger scooters look to be very comfortable for doing that I think.
The scooters i got info on are ;
-SYM product-Mod. Max. SYM 400i-400cc-318,000ph cash price,I/R in.
-Kymco product - Mod. Xciting 500i-I think the cc is 500-315,000ph cash price I/R in.

So far that is all I have been able to find out.

dhnindc wrote:

Vespa had a sale for p99k.  A friend of mine owns a big bike shop (Harleys) and recently leased additional space to house bikes for temp storage (or rather people who cant pay on time). Place is in Mierville. Cruiserparts.com.ph.

Hi ,would you have the address of your friends bike shop ,if its not to far from San Lazaro,Manila,we will go and check it out.
Thanks,

Is that scooter gold plated? I bought a brand new 155cc Kawasaki motor cycle 7 months ago for ₱55,000

Yes it comes in gold,silver,and bronze just like the Sochi Olympics. :) 

That is one heck of a unbelievable good deal for that bike ,from what I have seen so far anyways.
And Just for the simple safety of my passenger and myself I personnelly don't think thats big enough to ride on the main highways of Luzon,especilly when does big passenger busses  pass you.

If you decide to come to Cebu you will never find a speed greater than 80kph and mine scoot fine to over 100kph and good on to 140kph. LOL  Eventually  am going to convert this 15 to  trike for Frely's son to earn a living nd get me a 400-500 but nothing bigger than that.

BTW, you become brave quickly and zig-zag in and out of the truck and buses like the best Pinoys. LOL

Most dealers will sell you a years insurance with the bike. And you can use your license until it expires. But if you should ever decide to live here permanently it is good to go ahead and get your Philippine license for ID purposes.

Good advise and a good plan re your existing bike.

We are actually taking a trip to Cebu Mar. 10th to the 16th,we are taking a boat from Manila to Cebu and returning the same way.We will be staying in Danao City at the Coco Palms Resort .
Do you happen to know of any place a person could rent a bike/scooter in that area.
We are thinking about maybe taking a day trip to the north end of the Island while we are there.

seems like too much bike. you cant go very fast especially in manila where everyone turns in front of you without even looking.  besides that, you will be a huge target for bike theft. I bought the cheapest new bike I can find.. a 125cc granstar for 33,000p in Cebu and I never had one problem with it. its been almost 3 yrs.  I can leave it anywhere and im sure they will steal a Honda or Yamaha before they even look twice at my bike. the fact is, its so cheap to get your bike repaired, it makes no sense to pay a lot for a bike that may get stolen anyway.. just my honest expat opinion.

Good advise and at that cost I could buy 10 bikes and start a rental company for foreigners and expats. :top:

yes.. and when I was living in dumaguete, I paid 4000p per month for a motorcycle rental.  in camiguin island its 5000 per month

Here in Manila so far all I have been able to find on Sulit is a guy in Antipolo ,he is renting is bikes for 90ph per hour ,800 per day and 3000 per week and not sure if he had a per month price.

wow.. 3k per week is crazy.. makes me want to buy a few bikes and rent them out

I actually just looked up his Ad on Sulit is  monthly  rental is 11,500ph.
Have a look if you like on Sulit,look up (motorcycle rental.)
If I was living here year round ,that definitely would be something that I might think of doing with my lady and myself.

that's gives me a great idea.  I live in cdo now and there are no bike rentals here.  I think where there are more foriegners, there will be more bike rentals.  dumaguete has many bike rentals, but the expat population is huge there

If your in the city, then a 150 cc is fine. Just basic transport. For me, biking is part of my life and I ride 10k a year up and down Luzon. Wouldnt trade my Harley for anything, but do also have a big Yammy when I want to go really fast.

Once your outside Metro Manila, the traffic and roads are good.

Actually Danao is an island on the north west end of Cebu. About 2-3 hours from Cebu City.

your right.. the best roads I have found for riding have been in Bohol.. and surigao. flat, winding and with not many potholes

mtcretired wrote:

Actually Danao is an island on the north west end of Cebu. About 2-3 hours from Cebu City.

Danao City is actually 45 min. north of Cebu City ,stayed there April/ 2012 ,right on the ocean.

tommieboy999 wrote:

seems like too much bike. you cant go very fast especially in manila where everyone turns in front of you without even looking.  besides that, you will be a huge target for bike theft. I bought the cheapest new bike I can find.. a 125cc granstar for 33,000p in Cebu and I never had one problem with it. its been almost 3 yrs.  I can leave it anywhere and im sure they will steal a Honda or Yamaha before they even look twice at my bike. the fact is, its so cheap to get your bike repaired, it makes no sense to pay a lot for a bike that may get stolen anyway.. just my honest expat opinion.

Hi Tommieboy,
Regarding your Grandstar motorcycle that you bought in Cebu.
Can you tell me the name of the dealer and where I would find them in Cebu,we are going to Cebu next week (Mar. 10th to the 16th) I have a friend there that is interested in maybe buying one.

Thank you,
Réal D

its called granstar.. not grandstar..  I forgot the name of the road, but its a major highway and it was close to osmena circle. its a big showroom so im sure any taxi driver would know where it is if you ask him.. my friend told me recently that they had a promo sale and it was only 28k to buy one. not sure if its still on sale, but almost everything in the Philippines is negotiable.  its a china made scooter, but like I said.. I never had any problems with it.. only the usual like a new battery one time and a few tire repairs, but that's it. I even drove my bike from surigao city to cdo and took me 7 hours only stopping for gas and it ran like a champ. I got it up to 110kph when I drove from surigao to butuan and while I was nervous, it didn't shake rattle or roll :)   of course maybe I got lucky and bought a good one, hopefully the one you buy will also be as good as mine

Gosh! 300k for a scooter? Are you nuts ? you can buy a DREAM LINER for that price ,unless its platinum plated. Someone is pulling your PISSER mate and seen you coming.I can sell you my mitsubishi legend  2005 model,avenger in a mint condition for 350 K. just e/m me [email protected] if you need any advice .NO CHARGE!!

munawar waheed wrote:

Gosh! 300k for a scooter? Are you nuts ? you can buy a DREAM LINER for that price ,unless its platinum plated. Someone is pulling your PISSER mate and seen you coming.I can sell you my mitsubishi legend  2005 model,avenger in a mint condition for 350 K. just e/m me [email protected] if you need any advice .NO CHARGE!!

Its pretty easy to see for yourself just go online and do a search or call a dealer for Sym or Kymco and ask them.

Dreal1 wrote:
munawar waheed wrote:

Its pretty easy to see for yourself just go online and do a search or call a dealer for Sym or Kymco and ask them.

Another scooter is the Piaggio MP3 LT500ie,sold by Granstar Motors in Manila,the selling price is 495,000ph.(02-532-2986)

Granstar is a new dealership and have been running pretty good promos to gain market share. Vespa for 100k and now the KTMs.

dhnindc wrote:

Granstar is a new dealership and have been running pretty good promos to gain market share. Vespa for 100k and now the KTMs.

Thanks for the info.