Power of Attorney

Has anyone ever given a Special Power Of Attorney to someone  in Cuenca in order to obtain a resident visa before coming to Ecuador?  I know it can be done but I'm wondering what the 'gotchas' might be.

Howard,
I did mine pretty easily with my attorney having the power. I did it for a real estate transaction. No problems.
Neil

I talked to several people who told me of a woman named Maite Duran who has an office in the states and one in Cuenca and who can obtain a resident visa for someone from the US before they ever set foot in Ecuador.  Have you ever heard about her or being able to do this?   They said they gave her a special power of attorney, sent her their documents, and wala!

Howardofocal wrote:

I talked to several people who told me of a woman named Maite Duran who has an office in the states and one in Cuenca and who can obtain a resident visa for someone from the US before they ever set foot in Ecuador.  Have you ever heard about her or being able to do this?   They said they gave her a special power of attorney, sent her their documents, and wala!

Howard, I do not personally know Maite, but she has a large number of supporters in various bloggy things (facebook Ecuador Expats included). This is in no way an endorsement, but she is known and seems to get a lot of positive results.

Thanks.  I've been digging and can't find anything negative about her or her service.  Some people don't seem to like the idea of a POA but that's all.

Howardofocal wrote:

Thanks.  I've been digging and can't find anything negative about her or her service.  Some people don't seem to like the idea of a POA but that's all.

You can find POA forms easily on the internet. If you are nervous at all about the person to whom you are giving the power (and if it is a relative stranger, you probably should be) write it in such a way that the powers you are giving are tightly limited -- e.g., specify that you are not granting financial authority, business authority, etc.

I looked into her service. $1440 or near that and half up front. Sounded interesting especially if she could have it all done in the states.

frugalpirate wrote:

I looked into her service. $1440 or near that and half up front. Sounded interesting especially if she could have it all done in the states.

Pirate, if you use that service and manage to get the pensioner's visa while still in the US, please do post here with the process, the cost, the time frame it took, and your experience with that person. I am very interested. Would really appreciate it.

ok, if it comes to that
only issue I have with the services I've read about is I've already done most of the stuff advertised which are the background, certifications and apostilles
and I've done several states and the Feds for those apostilles
I'm waiting on my certificate of pension/income approval to get back from the General Consulate of Ecuador in LA (laugh at this, their office is in Beverly Hills)
I do have to say this was the only one that I've seen that could do I from the states they say when I reached out. I'll keep you posted!

These are the kind of posts we need on here, instead of people moaning about the traffic or whatever.  I came on here for exactly this.  Kudos to all.