Bus from HCMC to PP

I'm going to HCMC this weekend to find a reputable bus company to go to PP.  A fellow American recommended Mekong Express which I'll gonna check out.  I've heard Cambodian-run transportation/tour companies are better than the Vietnamese companies so what other Cambodian buses should I check out that has both terminals/offices in HCMC and PP?  Don't just spam names but let me know your experiences with them as well. 

I'm particularly concerned about the border crossing since it's an opportunity for unscrupulous operators to fleece uninformed tourists.  I've been told it's $20 for a VISA but what about the under-the-table fees?  I wanna know so if the operators says something "I'll need $100", I can tell him to go fly a kite.

By the way, what happens if something goes wrong and I get off the bus at the border?  Can I just "walk across"?

(note this is a duplicate post copied from the Vietnam forum because I'm seeking opinions from Expats in both countries)

There is another bus going to HCMC check it out their station is in Sihanouk street inPP.  It is a korean one.  Another, prepare small bills and never show $100.. and just say if they ask for undertable that you have no other money.

If something happen, you can not walk through the border...unless you have a clear or good visa to Vietnam... you can take another bus to get in HCMC. if not.. go back cambodia and pay another bus.. unless you have visa to cambodia too

Thanks for your tips.

Mekong Express is good, but Giant Ibis is better, at least between PP and Sieam Reap, so I assume to HCMC as well (free Wifi, ample leg space).

I suggest you get the visa beforehand (electronic visa). I've heard lots about visa scam at the land borders.

JanKrohn wrote:

Mekong Express is good, but Giant Ibis is better, at least between PP and Sieam Reap, so I assume to HCMC as well (free Wifi, ample leg space).

I suggest you get the visa beforehand (electronic visa). I've heard lots about visa scam at the land borders.

I didn't get a visa before hand.  They said $25 so I'm gonna pay them just $25.  If any problems or signs of scamming, I'll just get off the bus and climb the mountain to get over to Cambodia.

Yep, electronic visa costs 5$ handling fee, which you should not be paying at the border.

On the other hand you can consider the price of one page in your passport, which a visa on arrival will consume. I guess that's more than 5$.

JanKrohn wrote:

Yep, electronic visa costs 5$ handling fee, which you should not be paying at the border.

On the other hand you can consider the price of one page in your passport, which a visa on arrival will consume. I guess that's more than 5$.

Good tip.  Didn't think about it taking a page in my passport.

I have been to HCMC once by bus from PP. Mekong Express is fine. It is usually on time and is inexpensive. I would recommend getting your visa ahead of time. It is more than $20 for Americans though. You will pay at least $60.