Residency

I am a belgian online professional pokerplayer and I want to relocate to Malta.
I want to become a resident in malta and obtain a residence card and thereby be under the Maltese taxations and everything.

I know of a lot of guys that are just playing poker in Malta without any of the paperwork and anything sorted out, but I want to have everything properly regulated so that I also will not be taxed by the Belgian government on my poker earnings but by the Maltese system.

What type of permit should I apply for and what do I need to do to get it granted?
Can I arrange the paperwork prior to moving to Malta, or do I have to move to Malta and sort the paperwork once I get there...

What if I move to malta and for whatever reason they won't grant me a residency? (can they refuse residency to a EU-member... since I am Belgian)

thanks for any advice because it is real hard to find decent answers anywhere ;)

I expect you would apply (notify your residence here) under self employed and of course register with the Tax Authorities.
As an EU member you should have no problems and you have the right to live here.
See this, a lot is relevant to you: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316705

wow, thank you for the quick reply :)
I was browsing the forums more and i also just noticed that ...

now i am looking for info on the taks system, because I heared a lot.. but what is right of it, i do not know ...

Would there be a difference in taxation if I 'pay myself' directly from my e-wallet onto a Maltese bank account for let's say 3000€ /month
or if i pay myself the same 3000€ through an offshore company?

is there anyone who jnows what would happen if i am a maltese resident and properly pay the taxes on the money i bring into Malta and use there....
If the part of my money that i would deposit (directly or through offshore) on my belgian account, where I no longer am resident, where i no longer perform any business or work .... will get taxed by either of the countries?

The taks questions i ask because there are a lot of stories but no-one so far really prooved me what is right, i also saw old discussions in these forums about it, but inconclusive.. is there any new or correct info in that regard?
I contacted that john hubert guy wit ha mail, but also awaiting response....

let me stress once more that i do not want to cheat my way out, i just want to be setting up the most profitable way for myself..
If i would continue in Belgium.. i would be taxed near or above 50% before the money reaches my account because of the tax system...

allready great thanx to everyone here with the swift and prompt answers :)

When you get here go and see the people in the Ex-Patriate Tax office in Valletta. They will help you, I'm sure.

See here: http://www.ird.gov.mt/

Email: [email protected]

Call Centre - 2296 2296
Monday to Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm

Customer Help Desk
Malta:    Block 4, Vincenzo Dimech Street, Floriana
Gozo:    Enrico Mizzi Street, Victoria

in simple terms if you earn the income here and get paid here then you pay tax here.