Panama or Belize

If you were going to retire on one or the other which one would you pick and why?

belize english speaking, sound banking, safe country, want to get away from city life, slower pace of life and the beautiful sunsets belize has to offer.To be able to relax  away from the hectic way of living we now find ourseves in,also being a medic and my wife manager of a sewing factory we have things to offer belize thanks GLEN

Thanks for your response.

if your looking to retire and live with just the bare essentials,expensive hydro,limited infrastructure but beautifull country,then belise is the place,most expats go there because English is the common language and who wants to try to learn a new language at 50.panama has more to offer as far as infrastructure,restuarants,reliable hydro.panama also has what they call the (pensionado program)if you can show that you are receiving $2000/mo you can get into a program where you get anywhere from 10%to 50% off almost everything,travel in and out of the country,movies,restaurants,hydro,etc,look it up.a lot of expats go to belise because there is no taxes on out of the country money,and capital gains,but selling your house in belise can take awhile.there are more American expats in mexico than all other central countries combined.its dangerous no matter where you are,mexico,belise,costa rica.dont be fooled by people telling you that no-one speaks English in other countries,their just set in their ways and don't like change,i went to Honduras where everyone carries a gun or machete,and there I had a hard time finding someone to speak English but if your going to an expat community they learn the language when they see the American greenback.i don't prefer one country over the other,belise is beautifull,but is still a 3rd world country.

I had heared Panama wasn't really considered a 3rd world country but I'm not sure. Our problem is we don't have the money to fly all over the place to check them out. If you could live anywhere in Panama, Costa Rica or Belize where would you go? Thanks for your suggestions.

could someone inform us on the closest internationel airport to belize is it in mexico// and is there a place in belize close to mexican border  ex pats live  are is there a place ex pats fovour more than others thanks glen

The only International airport in Belize (for the time being) is in Belize City.  There is one about half built in Placencia.  This is a privatly owned airport and is at the very best 2 years out from completion.  I would guess more like 5 years before it starts to operate as a true international airport.  Thats if God is willing and the creek dont rise!

Expats seem to have a different area in Belize.  Some like Corozal, some the Caye's.  The newest hot spot is in the Placencia area.  This is getting kinda pricey already.  Its all in what you want.  Nice home in a gated community is gonna cost ya ( $350k-$1,000,000+)  Something in a native community not on the water can be very reasonable. (tons under $200k)

You may be able to do a lot of research on line . The websites like this one and few others are helpful. Another way to do research may be look at the local newspapers on line.
No research will replace an onsite experience

Cobra7 wrote:

I had heared Panama wasn't really considered a 3rd world country but I'm not sure. Our problem is we don't have the money to fly all over the place to check them out. If you could live anywhere in Panama, Costa Rica or Belize where would you go? Thanks for your suggestions.

I haven't been to Panama, but I can speak for a friend  who was there, and he didn't really care for it much. He likes the slow pace of Belize, and Panama is much like the USA. My biggest draw back, is they don't speak much English there and I speak little Spanish. People on a budget would do better in Belize or Costa Rica. Plus if you plan on trying to work, Costa Rica is American friendly. But again mostly Spanish speaking.

My husband and I are also asking Belize or Panama or Costa Rica and why? We have been doing much research, and all three locations have been juggled to the top of our list several times. Then we read more and the list shifts.  My husband is 76 so healthcare is a concern for us. I have read that healthcare in Belize is substandard and hospitals are far away for everyone who lives outside Belize City. I have also read that if something serious occurs you are better off going to Mexico or back to the States for treatment.  Healthcare appears to be better in either Panama or Costa Rica, especially CR where medical tourism is big business.

The pensionado program in Panama is attractive, yet I am hearing that all three places are getting more expensive to live as popularity grows. So far, I have not been able to find an honest and current cost of living comparison for these three places. We've looked into rental housing on-line at all three locations, and while there is housing available for under $1000/month, these rentals (by my standards) are dumps! And I am sure the steel bars on doors/windows and the razor wire is there for a reason. So, the question we are asking ourselves: "it has been said we can retire to a beautiful tropical climate for $2000/month, but what will our standard of living look like at that level?"

costa rica is expensive,if your looking for healthcare then your looking at panama,belize is beautiful as is costa rica but lacks any essentials,like they said on the forum,if your looking to live like a local,no steaks,or wine,belize would be my pick if I was younger,not 70,google mexico mike and see what he has to say,hes been all over,anyone with money will tell you to go to ambergrise caye,and with no inheritance tax or capital gains tax and being English,thats why 100% of people go to belize.if you want culture and good healthcare go to mexico,the playa del Carmen area,south of cancun,lots of Canadians and americans there.i was in Honduras and like parts of belize and costa rica theres razor wire everywhere,thats because squatters will move in if your not around,but don't take what I like,do lots of research and good luck,im even thinking of buying a small bar on seven mile beach in Jamaica in the Negril area,beautifull,live the dream.

To people who want to know about & compare the Central American countries....     there is no substitute for first hand, on the ground experience with the place.   and then it takes awhile to really know the place.    If you need or want state of the art medical care, Central America is not the place to come.   Cost of living is what you make it.    Promoters will tell you that In Corozal we are only 9 miles from Mexico where we can buy many items unavailable here.   HOWEVER, Belize charges an exit fee of $37.50 when you cross the border, plus duty on all purchases of about 25-35% when you return..   also, you need to speak Spanish or have someone who speaks Spanish with you to shop in Mexico.   your car must have Mexican insurance to drive in Mexico, so you may take a cab to get around.    also to cross the border the Mexicans may require that they spray the undercarriage of your car.    & you will have to pay to have it sprayed.   What I am saying is that Shopping in Chetumal is NOT cheap or as promoted.   Belize is an OK place for the healthy affluent snowbird, who wants to live here 6 mos or less each year.    If you come to Belize to live on a low cost budget, you must be willing to live without amenities.

While I agree that there is no substitution for on the ground, first hand knowledge good advice is always helpful.  As to Belize charging $37.50 when leaving through the Northern Border there is some good news....if you come into Belize under the QRP system, you do not pay this fee, also once you have obtained Permanent Residency status, you do not pay this fee, also, if you are a Belize citizen, either by birth or by naturalization, you do not pay this fee.  There are limitations as to what can be purchased in Mexico and brought back into Belize.  Basically one cannot bring in fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, fresh meats or fish, beer, soda, flour or rice.  Belize Customs has a specified duty percentage for items brought in...electronics are 35%...one should check out the website for Customs to determine what CAN be charged.  Many times, depending on how much one brings in of allowable items there is no duty charged at all...it CAN be charged but isn't always.  Yes, auto insurance is required in Mexico ( as it is in Belize also).  The under spraying of a vehicle is not an option.  For passenger cars and personal pickup trucks it is $65 Pesos ( and it is to be paid in Pesos)  Some drivers do not stop at the bug spray station, however, if caught the MX authorities are allowed to triple the fee to be paid and can turn you around and make you leave the country.  I disagree that "Belize is an OK place for healthy affluent snowbird" or that "if you come to Belize to live on a low cost budget, you must be willing to live without amenities".....I believe that both those statements are somewhat misleading....but then it all depends on what one HAS to have in their lifestyle.

Lot of information,well appreciated

Popeye, I have gone through and read many of your posts and just want to say a big THANK YOU!!!! You have saved me from making a very costly mistake! We have been researching the country it seems no one has anything real to say about Belize. They only talk about the good stuff.  I am truly grateful for your insight, experience and willingness to call it like you see it.

belize like all surrounding countries there are beautiful,but that entire area is 3rd world,i don't like the laws and taxes here in Canada but I like my bacon and eggs,steak,wine,doritos,when I was in Honduras,the coffee is different,the sugar is different,the fruit was good but im not eating it everyday so I can live on $1000/mo.you`ll find cheap labor in the carribean,cheap land,but food and hydro,and everthing else is more than Canada or the us.internet is double,just do your research I don't want to change someones mind on any given place,just be sure and find as much info as you can,i may go to ambergrise caye in the next couple years for a visit but I probably wouldn't move there,too remote.good luck on your search.

"I was in Honduras,the coffee is different,the sugar is different"
"but I like my bacon and eggs,steak,wine,doritos"

Interesting person and insight......imagine that....things are different in another country......
Whenin Belize or Mexico...switch to fresh fish/seafood and eggs.......you can't be it

popeye1 wrote:

costa rica is expensive,if your looking for healthcare then your looking at panama,belize is beautiful as is costa rica but lacks any essentials,like they said on the forum,if your looking to live like a local,no steaks,or wine,belize would be my pick if I was younger,not 70,google mexico mike and see what he has to say,hes been all over,anyone with money will tell you to go to ambergrise caye,and with no inheritance tax or capital gains tax and being English,thats why 100% of people go to belize.if you want culture and good healthcare go to mexico,the playa del Carmen area,south of cancun,lots of Canadians and americans there.i was in Honduras and like parts of belize and costa rica theres razor wire everywhere,thats because squatters will move in if your not around,but don't take what I like,do lots of research and good luck,im even thinking of buying a small bar on seven mile beach in Jamaica in the Negril area,beautifull,live the dream.

Well come to Corozal, I know a half dozen places you can buy me a steak, while you sip your wine. My biggest complaint...no Taco Bells. But I have been able to find pretty much everything I've looked for. You will not have a big variety of choices in Corozal like say Belize City. But that should really be common sense.

Belize is NOT the US....nor anywhere else...Belize is Belize.  And I am thankful for that.  Also thankful that there are no Taco Bells...didn't like them before I came to Belize and hope they never make it here.  Yes, Belize has challenges to those originally from a 1st world country, that is part of the adventure.  If one wants 1st world amenities....stay in a 1st world country.  If one is adaptable....try Belize...it is certainly not for everyone...but many of us moved here and love it here.  Mostly people who can do for themselves, who are adaptable and don't need nor want 1st world trademarks, products, etc.  Come and decide for yourself !!!

Great posting.
Adventure, Curiosity,love of nature,solving problems,love of freedom,taking responsibility for your actions,mistakes and screw ups,tolerance, taking rejection well, not expecting much from people you help, taking safety seriously ,watching ,reading and understanding people around you ,at the same time compassionate and helpful beyond call of "duty" I can go on  …. all are very essential to live in a place like Belize. Eventually all these "qualities" will pay off making your life easier,enjoyable and satisfying and adventurous.
You can have an easy life in US,everything is done for you including a ton of safety instructions and codes for everything. All you need is money. But a ship can stay in the harbor or go out in to the open seas and face the unknown. Facing the unknown may be thrilling or occasionally may end up in disaster.

belize-is-beautiful, and most of its people are friendly too.. in another life i sold agricultural machines in 42 countries, many not dissimilar to belize. i think any one contemplating a move to any country without spending at least six months living there, should be certified . ..the advantage
of english as the official language can not be over estimated.  even certified translations of a foreign language can have small omissions.(bitter experience speaking).  i am sure most of the spanish speaking south american countries have a lot going for them, the portuguese speaking ones too. but never forget, the devil is in the detail.
any one thinking of buying without their own legal representative should also be certified.
much of belizean crime is opportunistic. it may be one should take more care of possessions
than in an earlier life      just had alarms and deterrents fitted after two break ins in three months. not belize---my occupied family home in the english midlands!!.
health care is certainly a problem. but last year i had a week in dangriga. hospital, the attention to detail, and the cleanliness was first class.  two years ago i had five days in a uk
midlands hospital with the same problem. drips were not changed for hours, bed linen not
changed whilst i was there, and the ward(4 beds) was cleaned alternate days. i know which
felt third world.
i would like to know where Dr, Ali thinks is wonderful..