Which city in VN is cheap?

A month left to do what, that's the question. Ifyou have works, staying at the big cities like Hanoi or HCMC is a must, obviously.

But if you have that month to play around... now that is interesting.

Hue is renown in Vietnam as a cheap tourist city. I mean, a cheap city for tourists to live. Cheap accomodation, cheap (but great) food even to Vietnamese. A month to explore every crooks and cranies of that ex-capital can be a good time. If I have spare time to tour Vietnam, I would choose Hue. The pace of life is slow, so it might not to your taste.

Da Nang lately is praised to be an easy city. But I dont know. For a visitor, Da Nang may not have enough to offer for one month long.

I will leave HCMC to her fans here to praise.

But how about Hanoi? Live in the central district can be quite expensive, but you can choose a place far from it. Long Bien Chuong Duong, on the north east, over the old bridges are plentiful of cheap hotels and it's nearer, faster to go from there to Hoan Kiem district with its old quarter.

Consequently, move to Ha Dong area, far from HK, but near many many old villages. Forewarn: move from Ha Dong back to Old Quarter can be quite long because all the roads are crowded, even major roads. LB-CD is faster because it's only crowded starting from the bridges.

The new districts on the west Tu Liem, etc.. are full of commercial and office towers, so it might be cheap, but where do you go from there? Eastward to Old Quarter is slowed.

DA NANG. It has several supermarkets including a METRO.

Accommodation is well priced (villa $200/month) as tourists stay in Hue or Hoi An.

InterNet is fantastic - the central gateway is located in town.

The only downer is the storm season in the Fall.

BradCanTho wrote:
Citsym wrote:
alicele wrote:

i would suggest you my city: Can Tho :)

Thanks alicle,
Can you give a guide on accommodation costs in Can Tho, for approx 3 weeks?

There is a cheap hotel close to the water front called Kim Long Hotel. The owner's name is Trung, he is a good guy. I lived there for 3 months when I first arrived in CanTho, I think I was paying $10-14 a night. Clean, hot water, aircon, fast internet... no complaints :)

Good luck!

10-14 usd per night is cheap in Can-Tho ??? Are you kidding me. You can find a good hotel with 10-14 usd per night here in Hcm. Can Tho is far away from Hcm and you pay that price. That is expensive dude.

First rule, stay far away from D1 or the center of any big city.
My suggestion is Ben Tre city. A Bowl of  " pho" is around 15000 Vnd. 2 hours driving from Hcm. The city location is further south. Fruits and vegetables are super cheap. A coconut will be around 5-7 thousand Vnd. The air is pure and clean and its cooler than Hcm. Its less dirty than Hcm.

Hanoi or HCMC are cheapest places i know!

I would cast a vote for DaLat. Having lived in HCM I know DL is far far cheaper than HCM.

Me too  :)
People and food better than HCMC!

Vagabondone wrote:

I would cast a vote for DaLat. Having lived in HCM I know DL is far far cheaper than HCM.

But do Da Lat have enough places to warrant a full month?

The only tourists stay long at Da Lat is honeymooners, from what I know.

I guess I misunderstood the question, sorry. I thought you were just looking for the cheapest city to stay. Like in full- time stay. No there is not enough touristy stuff to keep one busy for a month in DL for sure. Unless your simply trying to make a baby, I suppose.
P.S. Yeah my bad. Just did not read the question carefully. Reread and understand your point. Again, sorry.

Hi awayland,
HCM is one of the hottest destination in Vietnam, so the cost of living or tourism service is not cheap.
Well, for your question, did you know that Hanoi- capital of Vietnam is ranked to be the second cheapest in the world ( according to a survey's result of the famous tourism website Tripadvisor- I make sure that you already know this website). Maybe the journal article can give you a fingertip
evietnamvisa.org/blog/vietnam-news/hanoi-ranked-second-cheapest-city-world/
Besides, Hanoi have many interesting place that you may fell interesting in, have you ever visit Hoan Kiem lake, Old Quater????  or night market, ...
So many wonderful things here are waiting for you.
Goodluck :)