Internet and phone contract - Go or Melita?

Hi there

I just asked in a Go store about their internet conditions & they would need 3 months in advance plus a credit card guarantee for the contract - is this something common for Malta or just Go does it?

Let me know if Go is better or worse than Melita according to your experience!

Thanks a million for your help and time, regards
Rico

Melita but if you do not have e-residence card then expect to pay a refundable deposit.
I'm surprised Go asked for so much.

I am not surprised at these suppliers asking for these things.

but for me Melita is the best service supplier of the two - theyre both crap at customer service but the actual internet service is in my opinion excellent - been with them for 6yrs...

I'm not surprised they ask for deposits but how much Go asked for in this instance.
After fairly recent publicity and some amendments I thought that Go asked for a fairly low deposit and in some instances, none. Agree about Melita, their internet and their crap customer service.

is it a deposit though - the comment simply said three months up front?

Yep, Melita for me also.
When we first arrived we went with Go who provided the service with no deposit on production of our passport and rental contract.

Terry

toonarmy9752 wrote:

is it a deposit though - the comment simply said three months up front?

Maybe just their way to be able to say they do not take a deposit, thus attracting some ex pats and maybe getting around the issue that they shouldn't anyway?

The only problem there is that it is Malta TV which is rubbish.
You pay extra but no UKTV channels as far as I am aware and you pay extra for other packages.
But of course you can get just internet & telephone with very cheap calls.

there are better and cheaper options for uk tv....

melita and go content is absolute rubbish

GO 100%

Have you ever read Melita terms and services? If you do you will be amazed!
(http://www.melita.com/company/terms-con … onditions/) you can find them here...
You have to pay 75euro deposit saying refundable, but if you disconnect they charge you 45euro for Equipment Refurbishing Charge plus 25 euro to collect the equipment so that leaves you with a 5 euro return on the deposit.
Early termination fess on Melita could go up to 300 euro depending on several factors while in GO it is fixed 70 euro
Recently they forced the users to upgrade their speed but automatically putting the prices up that made me want to disconnect from them, as I also had a technical problem on my Internet and send them an email, called them, etc and for 3 weeks nothing! So I decided to move on and go to GO.
GO now has a perfect plan just for internet and telephony without any installation fees, etc. I am paying 10 euros for the first 6 months and 20 euros after the 6 months without any extra charge! while in Melita it was 75 deposit which I never got back plus 50 installation fees plus 25 euro per month on a month to month basis.
Yes Melita Internet can be better from GO in terms of speed, but Melita's customer service is the WORST and if you have eventually a problem then you are in big trouble while in GO they were fantastic.

So in conclusion if you read the terms and services for both the companies GO is much better, prices are better, but internet a bit slower. Melita offers better speeds, but if you have problem you'r in trouble and they customer services and terms and conditions sucks.
Your decision :)

Just shows how different people have different experiences.
We were with GO but changed to MELITA  when we moved as GO wanted over €200 to move from one side of town to the other.
MELITA don't charge, didn't want a deposit and have a faster broadband service, never had a problem with their customer service either.

Terry

Totally agree, it depends on the person as well what he is looking for. Maybe some one wants cheap, some other customer service, another fast speed.  Everything is relative.
Also do not forget that the companies change from time to time their bundles, offers etc.
As said currently GO gives free installation, reduced price for the first 6 months and no penalties (as of March 2014) while Melita gives an "upgrade" like it or not with also an "upgraded" price -like it or not- and with 5euro return from the deposit instead of 75euro due to the refurbishing fee and collection fee.
Again I dont work for any of the companies :) just sharing my personal experience 0%Melita-100%GO :)

Terry one question, could you please clarify when was your experience (ex. the move you are referring) 

In both cases, please read the terms and conditions from both companies as they are hiding a lot of small details (schedule of charges, etc) and choose whats best for you.

tearnet wrote:

MELITA don't charge, didn't want a deposit and have a faster broadband service, never had a problem with their customer service either.
Terry

Agree.  On two occasions, one a fault and the other an additional service, I've had to rush home from the Melita office to get there before the engineer arrives.

R.

Also find below the schedule of charges for the 2 companies that might be useful:

MELITA
http://www.melita.com/company/terms-con … f-charges/

GO
https://www.go.com.mt/-/internet-schedu … x3JefldU_w

I have to say that I am with Melita now for nearly one year and generally speaking, I am quite happy with them. Had a few technical issues occasionally (slow internet, losing router signal, etc...) but after contacting their CS helpline, everything has been solved. If the issue cannot be resolved over the phone, they normally sent a technician asap. I've paid (if I am not wrong) about €200 when I first signed up with them, but as soon as I got my ID and sent to them, they've deducted the total amount of my initial deposit, from my bills. As Terry said, different people have different experiences.

Antonio

Just goes to show how so many people can have different experiences with the same companies. I was asked for a (refundable) deposit by Melita too.

So.. im coming there next month, and working remotely first couple of months, and do not get the id card..
Can i still get the internet and telly with my EU passport and rental agreement?
And the deposit.. i see different amounts from 70-200 euros..?? Littlebit confused here..
I want absolutly unlimited downloads, here home in Ireland i use approx 350gb per month..

Yes jakanfinne, you won't have any problems to get the services just with your passport and tenancy agreement. The deposit varies depending on the services you get. If you only go for the Internet for example, you might pay just a 70€ deposit, but if you take the full pack (TV, Internet and telephone), the deposit amount goes up. In my case was 200€ but I don't know if the figures have changed since one year ago. Normally you get unlimited Internet traffic included.

despite the statement of unlimited packages there is a limit for normal use - a reasonable usage policy is in effect on most servcie providers here

i suugest that if you want truly unlimited internet you ask for a business package and pay for it

i asked for that term "reasonable usage policy " some number which is reasonable to them, interesting enough, nobody could tell me  :o

toonarmy9752 wrote:

despite the statement of unlimited packages there is a limit for normal use - a reasonable usage policy is in effect on most servcie providers here

i suugest that if you want truly unlimited internet you ask for a business package and pay for it

That's right toon, unlimited within a limit :D

Thanks for the answers.. i called Go, and they told me that if i agree to pay with credit card, there is no deposit. :) and i agree, the channels are absolutly rubbish..

just get internet and landline then take an android  smart tv box - you will be amazed at what you can watch for free.

pm for details

toonarmy9752 wrote:

just get internet and landline then take an android  smart tv box - you will be amazed at what you can watch for free.

pm for details

may i pm you as well as i need more info as well?

thanks

sure

Hi all,

For any information regarding Melita in Malta, don't hesitate to ask. (moderated : advertisement)

Looking forward to helping you make your life here even better!

Thanks,
Carlo.

paako1 wrote:

GO 100%

Have you ever read Melita terms and services? If you do you will be amazed!
(http://www.melita.com/company/terms-con … onditions/) you can find them here...
You have to pay 75euro deposit saying refundable, but if you disconnect they charge you 45euro for Equipment Refurbishing Charge plus 25 euro to collect the equipment so that leaves you with a 5 euro return on the deposit.
Early termination fess on Melita could go up to 300 euro depending on several factors while in GO it is fixed 70 euro
Recently they forced the users to upgrade their speed but automatically putting the prices up that made me want to disconnect from them, as I also had a technical problem on my Internet and send them an email, called them, etc and for 3 weeks nothing! So I decided to move on and go to GO.
GO now has a perfect plan just for internet and telephony without any installation fees, etc. I am paying 10 euros for the first 6 months and 20 euros after the 6 months without any extra charge! while in Melita it was 75 deposit which I never got back plus 50 installation fees plus 25 euro per month on a month to month basis.
Yes Melita Internet can be better from GO in terms of speed, but Melita's customer service is the WORST and if you have eventually a problem then you are in big trouble while in GO they were fantastic.

So in conclusion if you read the terms and services for both the companies GO is much better, prices are better, but internet a bit slower. Melita offers better speeds, but if you have problem you'r in trouble and they customer services and terms and conditions sucks.
Your decision :)

Followup: After disconnecting from Melita as I was 100% dissappointed from the Customer Service, now we are more than 2 and a half months and I still havent got back the money from the initial deposit. I went again there, send them email, they confirmed that there is an amount of 80euro pending and still after almost 3 months they havent issued a cheque. I suppose that if I owed them money they would also ask for the "legal" interest rate :)

carlomelita wrote:

Hi all,

For any information regarding Melita in Malta, don't hesitate to ask. (moderated : advertisement)

Looking forward to helping you make your life here even better!

Thanks,
Carlo.

Hello Carlo

My account number is 1879793.
I am waiting over 3 months now to get the deposit money back after discontinuing the Melita service  as I was and still  am one of the hundreds of unhappy Melita customers.
If I were to owe money to Melita for a month they would ask for interest rate, and they other way round I am waiting more than 3 months and still no refund.
I have been to the Melita headquarters, wrote an email, the money is cleared that there is a balance of 80 euro, but still no cheque.
A simple WHY?

Hi Paako1,

Since I do not work in that particular sector in Melita I would not be able to give you an answer straight away.
Although it is per proceedure that it might take a minimum of two months until the deposit is processed, there might have been some kind of complication since yours took longer.

I am going to forward and follow your issue & will give you an answer by tomorrow before 1pm.

I will be contacting you personally in a private message.

Regards,
Carlo

Called Melita on monday to get my tv package changed to XL package. This was promised to be done yesterday
It isnt done. Cant get through via phone, just queued 20 mins, same as yesterday. Tickets created via MyMelita are not answered. Great customerservice or what?

New try to customer services.20 mins at the queue currently.. this company seems not to be wanting any more money from its customers...

Here is my experience.

I am with Melita on everything (phone - which I don't use, internet with 60mbps speed, TV XL package and mobile phone XXL package). I pay a total of 106 Euros a month.

I had to give them 450 Euros deposit which they reimbursed me when I received my Maltese ID. The contract unfortunately is running for 2 years.

Maltese TV sucks, I don't use the landline. The mobile phone contract however is brilliant as I can call my friends within Europe on their mobiles and landlines with 500mins included.

The internet speed of 60mbps is just whoooaaa,but the security of the Cisco Routers provided by Melita is simply bad. I have been hacked and then they told me that they have an inbuild hardware firewall which they cannot adjust, so they recommended that I get an external hardware firewall. Way to go, Melita.

Once my contract ends, I will check out Go...

believe me go are worse...

i will say though my cisco wifi router has served us well in the last 2 years - and have never been hacked - but i have notice on visiting other melita users houses that tey have a much poorer quality cisco router.... basically a very light plastic box  - and mine is anything  but that  - so maybe theyre using cheaper boxes to cut costs.....

I would never rely upon IP's firewall alone. Always have a good one installed.

Dear Paako1,

Please check your private inbox.

Thanks and regards,
Carlo.

I know this topic has been done to death, but to add, that I dealt directly with the Valletta office of Melita. They were great and gave me a personal mobile to call for any problems. I can also confirm that a rental agreement was not asked for, just my passport. I'll let you know what the  us toner service is like once I'm actually connected...

Us toner?? Customer!

Just my personal experience on Melita. It's horrible. The customer service is non existing, I've been on hold for 30-45 minutes and still nobody picks up. What's wrong with this company. My contract should have 30mb download speed. Yet most of the time I have less than 1mb or no internet whatsoever.

Based on my experience with Melita, they may have 'better' internet, but if you have ANY problem that requires interaction with their service people you are in serious trouble. Just based on that I'm considering moving providers. Both for my mobile as well as for the internet.

Maltese TV is rubbish btw, agree on that.

The internet service can be patchy in a few of the more remote areas but Melita are fine for me with a 100Mb service.
I pay appx E23 per month for internet and phone (landline). Calls abroad are VERY cheap.
Sometimes, thankfully rarely, the service can drop out completely.