Cars extortionate to buy & bus service crap... How do you travel?

Hi guys, I've been doing a lot of reading various topics & this intrigues me.....It appears from the threads on here that cars are extortionate to buy/maintain & bus services it seems from comments are crap/unreliable then...... How do people get from A to B? If I lived in say Sliema/St Julian's & I worked in Valletta how would I do it? This is a hypothetical question only:-)

Use the bus or ferry. No point in owning a car if you live in Sliema unless you have a garage....parking there is practically impossible.

Bus, no probs.

So what's all the doom n gloom (on transport threads) about the bus's being unreliable timetable wise or non existent. So long as people aren't late for their job every day due to bus being late/no show, surely it doesn't matter.

There were some issues with bus services and there may well be more but with good planning and a bit of 'nouse' you'll get on fine I'm sure. At the moment there is some 'turbulence' as Arriva have left, the Govt has taken over and they are tendering for a new operator. At €1.50 for all day unlimited travel, I don't complain.

€1.50 sounds amazing. Is Sliema/St Julian's bus service generally reliable/frequent all year round? I'd rather let someone else bus me around as although I've been driving on UK roads for 15yrs+ I haven't got to confidence to drive on Mata's roads. I also here the driving standard there is a lot to be desired:-D

Sliema and St Julians are tourist hot spots so yes, there are lots of buses servicing the area. If you make it a point to be out on the bus stop 1hr before you start work you should make it on time 95% of the time.

Statistically Malta has about the lowest casualty rate on its roads in all of Europe. Average 3.8 per 100,000 persons per year, which is incredibly low considering the number of vehicles on the road and when one witnesses the driving here. However, there is an explanation and that is; that out of chaos comes order. Don't forget the very old adage which is they do not drive on the left or the right but in the shade. Indicators, windscreen wipers and brakes are optional extras.
I see that you are intending to settle in one of the most busy areas on the islands. You will have time to witness all of this.
I strongly recommend that you come out on a visit before making your move.

its also a kind of different experience if you dont work to the one you will have when you need to use the buses to get you to work on time!!!!!!!

Reds (like mine) experience is one of retirement...... i dont even use the buses - too unreliable on Malta - the bus experience on Gozo may well be different

I drive when I need to and use the buses on both islands. Gozo's bus service is excellent.
I agree that using them for work, in high season and during 'rush' hours can sometimes be problematic.

in terms of price id rather pay more to have a service that works and is on time.... here it doesnt  work - and i will be very surprised if the new outfit(s) can make it work

I think that to a degree it also depends upon what one is used to. Where I used to live in UK, for some years, we literally had just one bus a week! I also feel that it isn't just down to the operator, as we know, the Government often affects the operation of the service.

"sometimes" Red ...??????

toonarmy9752 wrote:

"sometimes" Red ...??????

:D no 'often'

I catch the buses everywhere on this island and on the whole it's not a bad experience. I think it's probably the same as anywhere else really. Good days when you get somewhere too early, then bad days when you are waiting and 3 come along at the same time. The main problem is traffic and if you go by car, you'll still be stuck in the same queue anyway!

I live in the north near the terminal and getting onto the bus is not a problem as it's the first stop but in summer it can be a nightmare, the buses can literally be full by the second stop and then refuse admission for any number of stops en route.

There's nothing worse than a bus pulling up and you get the head shake and horizontal arm swipes from the driver. It's very difficult logistically for the authorities to plan these routes as summer visitor numbers differ hugely from day to day as do their destinations.

That said from Sliema there are many buses that service Valetta and as a lot of people disembark at Sliema for the tour boats/ shopping and ferry I don't think there would be much of a problem for you.

Or as Mick said the ferry operates frequently taking you directly from Sliema to Valetta and return I often hop off the bus here to take the ferry for the rest of the journey into Valetta as it's a nice trip and can be faster than the bus.

redmik wrote:

Indicators, windscreen wipers and brakes are optional extras.

As well as exhausts, never heard so many vehicles with blown exhausts..

I agree with everyone with regards to the buses, It's a bit hitty missy at the moment and may get worse as we move into the warmer weather.

Be at the bus stop earlier than normal and you should be ok (ish)  :whistle:

"blown exhaussts" thats the maltese version of a throaty roar from a full flow exhaust....for the boy racer types,.. lol

haha  :D

If you do choose to drive donŽt panic.

We drive on the same side of the road as the UK (OK, more like the middle).

Just get in your car, put on your blindfold, start making your mobile call..... youŽll be driving Malti style in no time...

snigger.  It reminds me of a combination of Whacky Races meets Death Race 2000. 
:o

lucyanya wrote:

If you do choose to drive donŽt panic.

We drive on the same side of the road as the UK (OK, more like the middle).

Just get in your car, put on your blindfold, start making your mobile call..... youŽll be driving Malti style in no time...

snigger.  It reminds me of a combination of Whacky Races meets Death Race 2000. 
:o

I hired a car today and drove from Marsaskala to Mellieha with my wife navigating, tell you it was something different.. but got there and back safely  :D