Do they have GPS in Libya for getting around and finding places?

Hi, I have never purchased gps but do they have this in Libya to find locations?
If you buy a gps in the USA, does it work in Libya?
Do you have to enter the names of the streets in Arabic or can you type the Arabic name with english letters?

i don't think GPS work here and even if it doesn where will you find the street names? there are no street signs here, no maps... you'll just have to do it like people here and use landmarks to get around until you know the city. As for travelling between cities, it is usually a straight road along the coast line so it's very easy

no street signs? Do the streets have names and just no signs posted or what?
I mean if you fill out forms for your address, what do you put?
Or if a business advertises, what do they put on the billboard or ad so that you know where they are located?
That will be a big adjustment for me. I live for mapquest that tells me exactly to the tenth of a mile where to turn and the name of the street. I always know in advance how many minutes it takes me to get somewhere so I don't have to worry about being late.
I know the foreigners here all get gps almost immediately, and off they go, they know the city better than me :)

also, are you having trouble getting into your inbox on this site?
I tried yesterday and it wouldn't let me, and today is the same.

At one time before the Revolution, there was movement toward creating the maps to be used for GPS - I don't know if it ever really got off the ground.  People just use coordinates for things like stores or restaurants.  I thought that the no address thing was unique to Libya but now have found out that there are many places in the world that don't operate on an addressing system... and somehow they seem to be able to find places.  You'll get used to it after a while.

You are in Libya? I would love to chat with you one on one as I have many questions but my inbox in inaccessible right now.
So do government forms not require specific addresses and such?

No I'm not in Libya right now....should be back by May ISA

When you fill in forms, you do need to enter your address, you just put something down noone cares because noone will ever send you anything, there is no postal service either!
As for getting around, it's much easier than it sounds honestly... but if you plan to come to Libya i think you need to prepare yourself for a big shock... Libya is NOTHING like the US... i think you'll need to wipe out your "normal habits" folder in your mind and open a "new folder" ready for completely new ways of doing everything such as driving around, filling in paperwork, dressing, talking, thinking, behaving.... lol I don't mean to sound negative, it's actually really nice here but it's like living in another world