Children fitting in at state schools

Hi there! My husband has been offered a job in Malta. We have three children aged 9,5 and 2. Initially we thought we would send them to private school, but after doing the maths (and even though private schools cost much less an in the UK ) we would probably be putting ourselves under a financial strain to send all three! My main concern is my 9yr old son. We are now looking into state schools and I'm worried about the language barrier in the classroom, and also about him fitting in. Please can someone point me in the right direction! Can you recommend any good state schools where there are some expat children. I've been reading so many different things on forums my head is spinning!!!

we'll in all state school's you have expat kids
for your son it will be easy to blend in, as he's from english speaking country, and in most (probably all, but not 100% sure) schools they teach in maltese and english

also, in my kid school they are learning english from year1 so all local kids speak english

I agree with Duxx in most respect apart from "most schools have expat children", they don't! Eg, Santa Venra, very Maltese (my children have been there.) They try to speak more English but quickly forget. The notes sent home will only be in Maltese and it is harder to keep up for the children.

I also had to go to Valletta school last summer and English is not spoken (except in English lessons.)

I would stick to the Sliema and St. Pauls Bay catchment only.

Thank you for your replies. That's reassuring. We will start looking in the catchment areas you have recommended  :)

My children are in St.Clare in Pembroke and we have liked the school very much. They teach English and Maltese and all the notes came both languages. I can really recommend the Pembroke primary and also the areas Pembroke and Swieqi.

Thank you Satu 1970. It's great to have a recommendation. I've heard that the St Paul's Bay primary school is also good as there are many children of different nationalities attending. Have you heard any feedback about this school?

Lori73 wrote:

Thank you Satu 1970. It's great to have a recommendation. I've heard that the St Paul's Bay primary school is also good as there are many children of different nationalities attending. Have you heard any feedback about this school?

My children have been going to St. Paul's (mostly,) since Kinder 1 (my eldest is now in year 6.)
I have had no problem with the education at the school, although, a friend did say the other day, that she felt the English that was being taught wasn't so good. To be honest, my kids haven't been to a UK school, so I can't compare. They teach English as a second language, as in, not like we use to learn French at school but as a whole language equal to Maltese, from scratch however, my friend and occasionally myself, have been aware of grammar errors but I am English and just automatically correct it.

When my kids went to a more Maltese speaking school, my son was kept back a year, this was mainly due to his lack of Maltese understanding and the headmaster implied, that St.Paul's was slightly behind because of the different nationalities, as English wasn't even the first or second language of some of the children. This is 5 years ago now, and I think the school now spreads the foreign children more equally, rather than clumping them together.

It's a difficult one to advise on, as on the one hand, everything is set up for foreign students, there is diversity and children are being brought up in a multicultural environment, which the school puts to use well. Then, on the other hand, the speed and depth of a lesson, maybe slower than other schools, to accommodate everyone.   

Overall, I am happy and wouldn't move my children. They are happy there, have many friends, of all nationalities and my son will leave this year with some very fond memories.

Hope this helps!

Caroline

Thank you so much for this information and advice. Many thanks! :)

this threads really useful. Stupid question but how do you find out whether the properties you are looking at are within a schools catchment area?Also are you guaranteed a place if you live within catchment (unlike in the UK where if the schools full the schools full)

I was just thinking the same thing! Can we rent a house in a different area from the school?

Hi, yes, you will have a place at the school. Yes, you do have to live in the catchment area (they will want proof!) and I'm not sure how you will know if you are looking for housing in that area?
Schools are grouped together by area and are governed under a 'college principle' St Paul's school's college is called Maria Regina. I think the Sliema area is St. Clares (someone from the Sliema area on here should be able to advise on that.) Look up on the internet for the college and that should tell you the catchment for each school in the college.

Caroline

If your children go to the public school, you have to live in the specific area. So it is very important that you choose the area where is the school you want to put your children. We first decided the school and after that the apartment to that area.

Hi, we live in Balzan and my 5 years old son is attending kinder 2 at Santa Theresa school in Lija. It's a very nice school and he's happy there. From what I heard from other parents, this is one of the best public schools in Malta. My son is Portuguese, he doesn't speak Maltese and I can say that since he got into school, he's English improved so much and he now speaks more English than Portuguese. We actually a bit worried because he already forgot a lot of Portuguese words :)

St. Paul's Bay school. For those coming from the UK, the school will look old and worn....But that's most of the schools in Malta!

Oh and they have great assembly  too!

Loving the St Paul's Bay assembly!!  :)
Regarding catchment areas....
For example, if you live in St. Paul's Bay Area would your children have to attend that school or can they attend any school within the Maria Regina College catchment area, so for example Mosta Primary?
Also, if you moved house after a year, would you have to change school to your new catchment area?
Hope this makes sense??  :/

Hi, I'm afraid it's not as flexible as that....If you live in St.Paul's/Bugibba/Qawra, then youhave to go to St. Paul's...No other choices available. If you move out of the area then I am not sure. I have done it twice but both times were only knowingly  for a short time (1 year) so they let me. Otherwise I am not sure and maybe best not to assume you can!

when i was in min. of education they told me if i move then i need to ask in new school are there openings for my child to move and only if the answer is yes I can move my kid to a new school

Hi, Just wanted to add to this thread. I have seen both sides of schooling in Malta with my kids. Had them at Private School for the first 2 years when we moved here..Now they are at state school at St Clairs Sliema and they are loving it. Its so organised and structured along with qualified teachers to say the least.. They have never had an issue with language barrier as everything is in English (apart from Maltese and Religion).. There is no pressure on them to learn Maltese as they are taken in smaller groups to learn this.. Don't rule out the state schools, go have a look at them, speak to the teachers and of course take the kids along as its them that will be there 5 days week..

Hi! Looking forward to visiting Malta in a few weeks time and taking a look at schools / houses etc. Keeping my fingers crossed that the kids like it ( my 9 yr old had a bit of a melt down today - he's really worried that the language is going to be a barrier in the classroom  :(  I'm hoping that looking at schools will ease his worries)

Lori they probably won't ease his worries just looking at them St Paul's looks slightly scruffy from outside and it's a big school. 900 pupils, I think.

That said my 10 year old started there 3 weeks ago, he's found it a little daunting as he's in a class that is unusually for st Paul's 100 percent maltese.

But. He has fitted in knuckled down made friends and is now enjoying school so not too bad in 3 weeks.

There is lots of homework which has to be done ( his old school never bothered except for reading) and the bus picks him up at 7 which he loathed but has soon turned around and he really enjoys the fact he's home by 1.40 to enjoy his afternoons.

On the whole it's a very scary move for a little one but the Maltese are lovely the teachers understand and are proactive in most areas, with a great emphasis on fun.

Just don't expect your 9 year old to wrap his arms around you after a visit to the school to say " Mum it looks wonderful"! He won't, have a visit by all means but from a slight distance :)

The school is right on the beach/ sea and they love researching unusual ships etc.

It's never going to be easy but he will fit in well it does take some adjustment though.

Also being friends with Caroline (cox from the forum) and her 3 monkeys before him starting was a godsend because he at least had a couple of people looking out for him even though they are in other classes.

Jay

Edit sorry and the language is mostly English except RE and maltese which the English/ other children don't have to do so he often does his homework, reads or uses the computer while these are taught and if people are talking in maltese he just reminds them or gives a perfect blank look and they soon realise.

Totally agree with JayJay, the state schools look really old and horrible apart from Pembroke Primary.. But once you go inside its fine, they have interactive white boards in every classroom, science labs, computers in the classrooms. stocked school library (more than can be said for the private school we had our two in). St Clares has a massive hall where they put concerts on etc... No question at all your 9 year old will find it strange but reassure him the language barrier will not be a problem.. If you choose a school that has alot of Expats then he will be fine, if you choose a very rural local school well then you might have problems.. At St Clares Sliema since December 8 English only speaking kids  have started in the Junior school so the teachers are use it.. My 6 year old son has started Maltese by choice but my daughter who is 7 has not.. She is taken along with other non maltese speaking kids to a class where they learn the days of week, colours, vegetables, seasons etc in Maltese so they can manage everyday things in the class and she is fine with that.. When they do Religion as its taught in Maltese her teacher gaves her the handout in English so she knows what they are talking about.. Best of luck with everything..

My children go to St Clare Gzira, it is true that the building in not very nice, but inside is well kept, clean and friendly. Interactive whiteboards and computers are in every classroom. The class sizes are small, only about 12-15 children (best to my knowledge St Paul's is one of the biggest, it is not typical such a big school). The college actually does quite a few thinks for foreign students (we just got an invitation for activity day organized for non Maltese/English speakers and their parents)

Good luck!

my son (6yo) goes to same school as pevi's (not the same class) and he didn't speak any english when he started, but from day 1 he was happy in school, made friends and all is ok

they even have for children who don't speak english a new programme where they pick them up at 9 am with van and take them to pembroke, there they learn english and at 12 they go back to school till 14

kids make friends fast, it's us "old" people who need more time :D

Very interesting reading.  My kids, older, also attended state school.  We were limited by catchment and I have to say his experience hasn't been as positive.  Although dual language is suggested it has rarely happened.  The level of English from the other kids has been restricted and that has been hard for him.  I am also tutoring for English o level and I'm disappointed at the standard after 5 years study.    I don't want to be negative but just wanted to give you another perspective. 

I think being selective in your catchment will make all the difference. X

Thanks to everyone for your response!
Lucyanya, which catchment areas would you recommend?

It seems the areas previous posters have mentioned are quite good.  The Sliema area, St Pauls, Bugibba etc have a large English speaking population so this is probably why it is better for school.  I am in Attard, smack in the middle of the island, it certainly seems to make a difference.

Jules
x

Thanks Jules, hope your son does well in his o levels.
Lori x

Thanks.  He's smart but typical teen.  We shall see-grin.

Hi!! Wow so glad I have found this forum :-)  We are hoping to locate to Malta asap, my husband has an interview in 2 weeks so we are flying over, if he is unsuccessful we will be making the move in the summer and hoping and praying we can find work!!
I've been panicking about schools, my son is nearly 7, feel so much better reading your posts, I have an idea where to look now for the schools and accomodation  :)
So glad they speak English  :D

Does anyone know what trade is like there for jobs? My husbands a self employed joiner and I am a teaching assistant, its his job we will be relying on to make the money.
Thanks for any help, Stef x

Hi there,

welcome to the forum.

Sounds as if your husband has a very good job lined up for himself as a joiner would otherwise be in the usual Maltese salary range.

You are glad they speak English ! ? You mean the Maltese? Some do, some don't ! That could or will be a problem looking for work as a teaching assistant as the language in Malta is Maltese.

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you for your reply :-)  I hope so..  Otherwise he will need to find work when we arrive, been trying to find info about trade over there but can't seem to find much, do you know if there is often joinery work available (sorry going a bit off topic!)

Yeah glad they speak English in schools, I read above they teach in English apart from Maltese and religious lessons ( I presume that's correct  :)  )

Stef

Sorry, I am a bit worried about the language matter. My children do not speak English nor Maltese. I as told that at state schools the vehicular language is the Maltese and only at the end of secondary school is English. We were thinking about a private school, at least for the first year, untill they can speak English. Is there anyone with the same problem??

Hi, wondering if anyone could PM me Mrs Whites email address ( the lady who gets foreign children into state schools ) if anyone has it?
Thanks!

I think she don't have email but her telephone number is 25982464.

lozvill1 wrote:

Sorry, I am a bit worried about the language matter. My children do not speak English nor Maltese. I as told that at state schools the vehicular language is the Maltese and only at the end of secondary school is English.

who ever told you that didnt tell you the truth
it depends of town where you live in, but most of state schools teach in english and maltese
as my son didnt speak english at all, he went to a new program for such kids and took just english leasons every day from 9-12
now, after 3 months he knows the basics and follows school without a problem

stef88 wrote:

Hi, wondering if anyone could PM me Mrs Whites email address ( the lady who gets foreign children into state schools ) if anyone has it?
Thanks!

Hi Stef,

I do have Mrs Josette White email address if you're still interested. I have already met her and spoke to her for few times, and she's a very nice and friendly lady.

Cheerio,
Antonio

Sent Stef, good luck! ;)

thankyou  :)

Hi can anyone advise me which college catchment area tal ibbrag and swieqi fall into would it be st Clare's ??