Hi any Clavis parents

Hi guys,
My kids have just started at Clavis. They seem to be enjoying it so far. Would like to know any other new or old parents who have children at Clavis and hopefully organise a gathering.
What are your views as well about the school?
Thanks

Hi there!

Our son attends Clavis.  We have been very happy with the school and how they are implementing the IB curriculum.  I am copying and pasting a post I wrote several months ago regarding Clavis and the IB.  I hope you find it helpful.  You can also enter "Clavis" in the search bar above the posts to see what others have to say.  Our son is in Year 2.  How old are your kiddos?  Hoping they have had a smooth start to the new school year!

Here is a copy of my (long-winded!) post:

Clavis is an IBO World School.  This means that not only is their curriculum top notch, they are also held accountable for keeping their IBO World status. 

I have taught in IBO schools for eight years now (my husband--16 yrs w the IBO).  I have been through the IB authorization process as an educator twice.  Let me tell you, it is extremely rigorous.  This organization holds the teachers, students and administrators to a very high standard.  Not only is implementing the program a big challenge, keeping the IB status is as well.  The organization returns to the school every couple of years after program implementation.  At this time everyone is assessed on how they are continuing with implementing the program.  After these site visits, schools are often given commendations (if they are lucky!!) as well as recommendations on how to keep the school authorized.  If there are too many problems and the school does not adhere to the recommendations, the IBO will essentially strip the school of its IBO status.

So, all of that to say, Clavis is up to standard with other IB schools around the globe.  If not, they wouldn't be able to call themselves an IB school.  :)

Okay, this is getting a bit long winded...but I would also like to say that the IB teaches kids how to REALLY "think" for themselves, to question everything around them (YES, even their teachers!!)  It teaches students how to be independent and at the same time develop a deep understanding that other people (even with their differences) can also be right.  The program challenges students to become cooperative learners, it gives teachers the freedom to adapt the curriculum to the students interests and ability levels, as well as adapting lessons according to global affairs.  Also, embedded in the curriculum are the IB Learner Profile Traits (things like Caring, Open-Minded, Communicator, Risk-Taker, etc etc.)  Teachers work very hard to make sure that all students in the school are demonstrating these traits throughout the year.

Another fantastic thing about the IB curriculum is the methods (yes PLURAL!!) of assessment.  Students aren't simply lectured on a topic and then given an exam and then moved onto the next topic.  Assessment is both formative and summative...always continuous. Students aren't simply given a letter grade (A, B, C, D, F) because what does that REALLY teach a kid about his/her work?  Almost nothing!  Instead, teachers use general rubrics as well as task-specific rubrics to assess a child's performance on an assignment.  Rubrics are attached to the assignment so that when the student receives their grade (something like 1-6) they can revert back to the rubric (along with the teacher's comments on the assignment) and know EXACTLY what they did well on and where they need to improve...EXACTLY!  In my opinion, a much better way to help a child with his/her work than the good ol' A, B, C method!

If you walk into a classroom of an IB school, you will most likely see (and this is a GOOD thing!) students moving around the room, sitting in groups working collaboratively in the hallway, students and teachers using computers and other forms of technology, the teacher moving around the room and rarely standing in the front lecturing, etc.  It is rigorous, but not in the same way other schools are!  You probably won't see desks arranged in perfect rows and students sitting down with textbooks or worksheets in front of them diligently working away (the way many of us were taught!) Often, you will find that teachers do not use textbooks (VERY scary for a lot of parents at first...and sometimes the students, too.)  However, if you stick with it and the teachers are well trained, your child will come out of the program with the most amazing zest for life, care and concern for others and the world around them, and super prepared for university life (as in...many universities often give full credit for the entire first year--sometimes two years b/c these kids are so well adapted and prepared for what lies ahead.)

As for me, I would not want my son in any other place!  And no, I am not affiliated with Clavis in any way other than the fact that my son attends the school  ha!  ;)  I am just very passionate about the IB program and all that it offers our precious kiddos!  I could go on and on and on...but I guess I've probably said enough for now.  Tee heee![/color]

Hi All,

I am Gidion (Indonesian), currently living in Bangkok but we are moving to Mauritius soon (at the end of March). Now we are searching for primary school for our children (9 and 5 yo) and interested in Clavis since our children attending an IB school in Bangkok and they (and we too, as parents) are very happy with IB and our children development.

We don't have any question regarding to the curriculum (we prefer IB), but same as Ine1's posting, I'd like to know if there is any opinion or views about Clavis, particularly in the following points:
- Student body (in term of internationality)
- The management, teachers
- The Execution of the curriculum
- 'School culture/character'
- Safety, security
- or any other important points

While the curriculum is one of the important aspects in choosing school, we also realize that there are also many other aspects need to be considered too. In addition I also think that 'curriculums designers'  tend to adopt the best aspects/practices from other curriculums, so we are also still open to non IB curriculum schools.  From my online research I also got  impression that Alexandra House and IPS are also good school and well known in Mauritius.
Any opinion?

Many thanks.

Hi Gidion,

We have attended a couple of functions at Alexandra House (school plays, etc) and really, really enjoyed them!  I can't say much more than that as I honestly do not know.  I do think Alexandra House has a good reputation here.  :)

As for the student body at Clavis, I would hazard a guess that well over half are Mauritian.   There are quite a few expat kids as well which makes for a nice balance, in our opinion.  So far, the execution of the curriculum has been very good (inquiry based, student-driven, well-prepared and delivered within IBO standards/expectations, etc.)  I'm not exactly sure what information you are looking for with regards to 'school culture/character', but I can say that the students run assemblies before school every day of the week.  They also participate in many community service/charity events (celebrating the International Day of Peace on Sept 21st is a neat one!) and the students work cohesively on projects at the school.  There are also some fun after school activities offered to kids every day of the week (except Fridays).  Swimming is offered first term, culminating with an all-school swimming gala/meet and awards ceremony.  Safety and security at school does not seem to be an issue.  The school is gated, however, with a security guard on duty who can monitor people coming and going. 

I hope this helps.  If you would like more solid information/numbers you should really contact the school and ask to set up an interview/appointment with the Headmaster (Mr. Hamer).  I am guessing he can give you a more detailed response on some of your questions. 

Good luck to you and your search for the right school for your kiddos!  I know it's a big decision!  :)

--Courtney

Hi Courtin,

Thank you for your very informative response.
Actually our children has been attending an IB School in Bangkok for almost 5 years (our first child), so I agree with you on how great/interesting IB system is. While I am aware that IB Organization 'supervise' and evaluates all IB schools, I just wondered if IB schools around the world have really equal in the execution. From my observation and chit chat  with friends in Bangkok whose children attending different IB schools, we conclude that IB curriculum, while great  it is also 'fluid' so that the execution (by school through management, teachers, etc) is critical/crucial in achieving the expected outcome. Unlike British curriculum that provide almost everything regarding to the content, IB system gives more freedom to the teachers to be creative in selecting content related to IB inquiry. IB gives 'framework and method of delivery' but  is more flexible  in contents.  It means teachers with IB trained and experience are important. I am glad when you witnessed that Clavis has good execution too.

How about IPS? I notice that IPS is very closed to  Northfiled while  Clavis is close to Le Bocage, so this point might be important to consider (for practicality) since my older son will move to secondary while the younger one is still in the primary. Any opinion/insight about Northfield and Le Bocage?

Many thanks
Warm regards.
Gidion

Hi Gidion,

I think IPS is also a very good school.  It is my understanding their head is PYP trained and implements a lot of the IB philosophy in their school/curriculum.  IPS is very close to Northfields, so would probably make sense if you are living in the north.  However, a brand new road has just been opened which bypasses Port Louis and could potentially open up access to/from the north to the center of the island.  I believe it would still be a bit of a trek, so something to consider when choosing schools.  Northfields does not offer MYP, so this is something to think about if you want your child to participate in all three aspects of the IB (PYP, MYP and DP).  I believe the students choose A levels or DP for their last 2 yrs. 

Clavis and Bocage are also located just down the road from one another, which makes for easy access if you have kiddos in both.  Bocage offers both MYP and DP.  My husband is actually taking over the post as the new Headmaster of Bocage in August, so if you would like more concrete information on the school, PM me and I will give you his email/contact info.

Have you guys decided where you are going to live on the island?  I really do think this will have a big impact on which school you choose.  Of course, it could work the other way around, too (choose the schools first and where to live next!)    Please let me know if you have any other questions.  I am happy to try and help. 

Best of luck to you and your family!

Courtney  :)

Hi Courtney,

Thank you very much for your all responses and very helpful insights
I will PM you after this.

Many thanks!
Gidion

Hello Courtin

My two kids are at Clavis, one in year 6 and the other in year 2. I guess next year when the elder one moves to Bocage, I'll need to speak to your husband (future HM!).

:-)

Hello Ine1,
My children has also just started at Clavis. I assumed I was the only SA parent there. My phone number is [moderated: pls avoid your phone num on the forum. Pls use your pm] if you would like to contact me.
Regards
Charl Stevens

Hi Nadeem,

Yes, he will be taking over the post as HM of Bocage in August.  I'm sure he will be happy to chat!  :)

Have a great day,

Courtney

Hi
Am meeting the head and having a look round in march - last question on a practical level , is the trip from Tamarin to clavis painful or is there a car pool / bus service at all - I guess with after school clubs this could be an issue for us. Must admit the school website could do with a refresh !

Hi Tom,

I agree with your opinion of the website!  Hoping they will address that soon. ;)

Yes, there is a school bus from Tamarin to Moka and back.  My husband works just down the street from Clavis, so he takes our son in the mornings.  It takes them about 40 minutes to get there (they leave early to beat traffic).  In the afternoons, our son rides the bus and gets dropped off in Tamarin at 3:45.  A perfectly acceptable time, I think.  If you pick your kids up, you won't get home much faster than that.  You might save about 10 minutes, but you will be in the car an hour and a half driving there and back! 

We let him choose one after-school activity  at the school so that we are not driving back and forth to pick him up late several days/week.  The great thing is, the kids have lots of options for things to do in Tamarin as well.  A membership at Riverland Sports Club is a must, in my opinion.  The school bus stops right in front of the sports club and you can meet your kiddos there and watch them practice all kinds of sports.  We actually just started up rugby training for the little ones this week and had a great turn out.  Riverland also offers gymnastics, swimming, dance, tennis, football, judo, etc.  Something for everyone.  It's also a great place to meet other families living in the area.

The commute to and from Moka/Tamarin isn't that bad.  I think as expats, we quickly forget how bad traffic was back home in the UK or the USA or wherever, and suddenly driving in the car for more than 20 minutes (with BEAUTIFUL surroundings) seems like a long commute!  What we forget is the 6 lane bumper-to-bumper stop and go traffic of the big city!!  Once we remind ourselves of that old lifestyle, we quickly remember the commuting here isn't so bad (unless, of course, you have to drive through Port Louis!)  ha!

Hope this info helps.  Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Court  :)

thanks so much - I was already looking at riverland and I help coach my sons mini tag rugby in the UK so that all sounds excellent, am looking round clavis and Telfair / Wips when i am over in march, will let you know when I need more info !

hi all
thanks for this thread, most helpful info about schools. My elder daughter 10 and she just finished 5th class (in March) in English school based on Cambridge syllabus and she will be here soon. We stay in Moka what would be options for her. please advise. Younger is 4 seems like more options for her.
thanks
Ivan

Hi Ivan,

It sounds like your eldest daughter could do one year at Clavis (Primary Years--PYP--IB program) and then head to Le Bocage for the Middle Years Program--MYP and Diploma--DP IB program (down the road from Clavis).  This would be one option!

Good luck with your search,

CourtinUSVI wrote:

Hi Ivan,

It sounds like your eldest daughter could do one year at Clavis (Primary Years--PYP--IB program) and then head to Le Bocage for the Middle Years Program--MYP and Diploma--DP IB program (down the road from Clavis).  This would be one option!

Good luck with your search,

thanks Courtney, your advice much appreciated.