CoopMart reopens in Cần Thơ

About nine days ago CoopMart reopened.  It's completely redesigned, not just polished and painted. Modeled after BigC apparently. Same stores, jewelry and shades, plus a Parker/Watermann pen store.  A Megastar theater, but no Highland Coffee cheesecake, alas, however no more four-hour-each-way trip to Saigon to see a two hour movie.

And a food court.  OK, not as vast as the one at Hừng Vương Plaza, but pretty good, including some phở that's better than most places here.  Odd system, though, you buy a prepaid card and use it at the stalls, which saves time on counting money.  Kids have a gas getting to choose their own food. 

The bottom floor is open, a great ensemble of kiosks rathe than stores with entrances.  A Baskin-Robbins.

Burgeoning with customers for now, it's new, a huge Vietnamese middle class, eating a cup of two ice cream scoops for an amount that would feed a poor family for a day. 

The theater is a substantial addition to the city.  A Burger King on the same floor. 

When I first got here you couldn't even buy cat food anywhere in the city.  There's more to do in CT than there was.

ChrisFox wrote:

About nine days ago CoopMart reopened.  It's completely redesigned, not just polished and painted. Modeled after BigC apparently. Same stores, jewelry and shades, plus a Parker/Watermann pen store.  A Megastar theater, but no Highland Coffee cheesecake, alas, however no more four-hour-each-way trip to Saigon to see a two hour movie.

And a food court.  OK, not as vast as the one at Hừng Vương Plaza, but pretty good, including some phở that's better than most places here.  Odd system, though, you buy a prepaid card and use it at the stalls, which saves time on counting money.  Kids have a gas getting to choose their own food. 

The bottom floor is open, a great ensemble of kiosks rathe than stores with entrances.  A Baskin-Robbins.

Burgeoning with customers for now, it's new, a huge Vietnamese middle class, eating a cup of two ice cream scoops for an amount that would feed a poor family for a day. 

The theater is a substantial addition to the city.  A Burger King on the same floor. 

When I first got here you couldn't even buy cat food anywhere in the city.  There's more to do in CT than there was.

I was there a few days ago and sure didn't see any Burger King. Cat food? It's always has been available at the Can Tho University Vet clinic , well since 1989 anyway.

Budman1 wrote:

I was there a few days ago and sure didn't see any Burger King. Cat food? It's always has been available at the Can Tho University Vet clinic , well since 1989 anyway.

Burger King? Man you guys have hit it big time down there. They opened one up here in Bien Hoa a few months back and it is a ghost town now. The food taste the same if not better than the BK in the states but even the expats say it is too expensive.

It's not in the food court.  It's on the top floor near the theater. 

Didn't know about the vet clinic,  I should check it out in case BigC decides to stop carrying pet supplies

ChrisFox wrote:

Didn't know about the vet clinic,  I should check it out in case BigC decides to stop carrying pet supplies

Didn't go up there but I will next time I'm in Can Tho. As far as the Vet clinic goes you might want to check it out, They have some really good professional people working there and the interns appear to really care about pets. You can't beat the prices for service either.

Budman1 wrote:
ChrisFox wrote:

Didn't go up there but I will next time I'm in Can Tho. As far as the Vet clinic goes you might want to check it out, They have some really good professional people working there and the interns appear to really care about pets. You can't beat the prices for service either.

The one we knew about is awful.  I brought my dying cat in there and they tried to give her worm medicine.  No exam, nothing.  Thin cat = worms.   That's almost mechanical.  Thanks, I will find the place.

Chris you forgot to mention on the same level as the Cinemas is 10 Pin Bowling.

I don't think this is a MegaStar Cinema complex, but an independent one. I tried looking for movie times on their website and CanTho is not a part of this. Hopefully they get a website up soon with session times.

MegaStar has been bought by CGV - a cinema brand name of CJ Entus (Korea). Now Megastar has changed to CGV.  You can check its sessions times in cgv.vn.

Does any one know if Can Tho University Animal Clinic carries dog crates and or super sonic whistles?