Apartment Rental Limitation

Hello Guys,

I am new in HCMC, I am living in a Hotel now in Phu My Hung, I was looking to rent a room and my friends told me that there are some limitation for a foreigner to rent an apartment in VN. They said that I can only rent an apartment once I have a work permit so that the police authorities will not ask questions, is this statement true? I hold the Canadian passport. I have called an real estate agent to ask about these limitations but she did not answer her phone.
Also I am looking to move out of the hotel if all is possible, so if there are no such and other limitation, I am looking to rent a room or share a room, preferably in Phu My Hung as well.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Tim

titanium_arm wrote:

Hello Guys,

I am new in HCMC, I am living in a Hotel now in Phu My Hung, I was looking to rent a room and my friends told me that there are some limitation for a foreigner to rent an apartment in VN. They said that I can only rent an apartment once I have a work permit so that the police authorities will not ask questions, is this statement true? I hold the Canadian passport. I have called an real estate agent to ask about these limitations but she did not answer her phone.
Also I am looking to move out of the hotel if all is possible, so if there are no such and other limitation, I am looking to rent a room or share a room, preferably in Phu My Hung as well.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Tim

You do not need a work permit to rent. I rent a house and am registered with the police and all I have is a Visa Exemption. There are some places foreigners are not allowed to rent though. You should have no problem with most houses and larger apartment buildings.

Thank you Parmyd

You can rent a house or apartment on a tourist visa. One place to look is to find a cafe in the area where expats normally hang out and ask the staff about if they know of any places for rent, they usually do.

I recommend you contact Vicky (ms.vanhuong) she is a member of this forum. She is a Real Estate agent and has contact with many Land Lords in HCMC. She is familiar with all the rules and regulations. I would post her number but I feel uncomfortable doing this on a public forum. If you are interested send me a PM, I will put you in contact with her.

Moderated: No free ad on the forum. Post your advert in the Flats for rent in Ho Chi Minh City section.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum. Post your advert on the Flats for rent in Ho Chi Minh City section.]

Parmyd wrote:

You do not need a work permit to rent. I rent a house and am registered with the police and all I have is a Visa Exemption. There are some places foreigners are not allowed to rent though. You should have no problem with most houses and larger apartment buildings.

Parmyd is correct. And as another poster said, you can rent with only a tourist visa.

The reason you may have been told the information you questioned is the fact that some landlords do not want to rent to anyone who may not be in a long-term residency situation here. They don't want the hassle of doing all the paperwork/contract/register with police/etc. then their renter takes off after only a few months, and they have to do all over again with another tenant.  If I was a landlord here, I may have that requirement. But it's certainly not a law here.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum. Post your advert on the Flats for rent in Ho Chi Minh City section.]