Feedback on schools for my 11 years old child

Hi

We may move to Jakarta in a few months. Wanted feedback on schools for my child who is currently in grade 6. A bright and academically oriented child of 11 years looking to find admission in grade 7.
We are moving becas of a change of job scenario.
Any type of moving is tough when one has to uproot oneself fm a settled life of good friends ,family .... so in general looking for any feedback in about city /stay /living /lifestyle /work /etc etc..

In advance thanks and Appreciate it.
SVJ.

Hello SVJ,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that i created a new topic with your post on the Jakarta forum, it will help to bring more light to your subject and it may help in improving the interaction with the other members. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

To find a school, first it might be wise to tell us in which part of the city you are moving too.

Usually where we live always depends on the proximity to the school.
So as of now we are open to where we would like to live.
What are the rentals costs? If our budget is 1250 dollars a month .. What is the type of of housing can we expect.
Also would you be able to recommend good school??
Appreciate any info
Rgds
SVJ

I am able to recommend many good schools but do you know how big Jakarta is? You need to understand the traffic and city problems to ensure you choose wisely. Also where will you be working?
If you live in the west and work in the north it can take a hour or more each way in a car, if you working in the south and live in the east, more than an hour. When it rains, then add hours. What faith are you? Do you want a same faith school, an expat school, a school that speaks English or one that speaks both English and Indonesian?

Jakarta is 662 square Kilometres of hot, cramped polluted city so you need to have an idea.

We are from India. Indians: Hindu. And we need an English school. We are looking into recommended schools such as jis/bis/gmis/ - IB schools so that when we do come bac it will be smooth sailing to transit into Indian higher education. Or any other schools that has a small class base and good education .

We would probably end  up to be in South Jakarta , that's where the office would be .
What abt rentals of apartments ? Like I asked earlier does 1250 suffice?
Also aprrox what is the living cost monthly:  for a family of 3.
With a middle class to upper mid class lifestyle

Rgds
SVJ

I only know of the British international school in Bintaro.
From The far south of Jakarta, that would be a morning travel of around 45 minutes, much more trying to get home in the evening.
Those times vary a lot depending on how far south you are.

Thank you. What about house/apartment rentals in South Jakarta?

Google, "rumah desewa "

As always, ignore anything in dollars; they are there for idiots with more cash than brains.

Hi.  I just moved here and I previously lived here 6 years ago.  To get a good house that you describe as middle to upper class, you need at least 3000 US dollars.  Even with that you will stuggle!  Apartments in South Jakarta, again for a 2 bedroomed apartment you are talking 2500 dollars.  All the agents I spoke to said, apartments are more expensive than housing.
I have seen lots of houses and some really bad ones, they were asking for 4000 dollars.  Sorry to sound negative but currently demand out strips supply and land lords know it. 
My daughter goes to BIS and ot takes around 30 mins in the morning to get there.  It takes approx. one hour to get back.  I am close to Pondok Indah area in South Jakarta. 
Call the schools to check if they have available spaces, they might not.  JIS was full when I spoke to them with a waiting list.
I have been to Bangalore a few times and you get a lot more for your money there accommodation wise than you will here.
Eating out is cheap, the supermarkets are not so cheap.

Look around.
I pay Rp25 million per year for a 3+1 in a secured estate.
Easy to find if you wander around.
S Jak is likely to cost more...but not that much more.