Topic Closed

Is there any way to know that a topic has been closed without opening it, reading all the posts and then going down to the bottom to add to the discussion only to see that it's closed?  It's kind of a big fat waste of time this way.

Hi Hailey,

Yes, if you look on the left side of the topic title you'll see cartoon style dialogue bubbles on most of them. Now for locked topics you'll see a padlock in place of the bubbles.

Cheers,
Jurassic Jimmy

Hy Hailey,

Here is a screenshoot with a closed topic.

https://www.expat.com/images/faq/en/topic-closed.png

Go to China forum and tell me if you are able to see the "lock" icon.

Florent

I agree with Hailey- even your screenshot doesn't show a lock that I can see.

my guess is that the ones that don't have the reply link are closed, but it's really not the most obvious indication.

Maybe the color of the link shouldn't be the same.

We'll find something, thanks

I see it but it is not clear.
Maybe a color for the padlock is more suitable, like the orange pin for the sticky topics.
Red?

Press and hold 'Ctrl" down and hit F5 to clear the cache. ;)

Try also a 'Disk cleanup' in System Tools.

yep, I reported that issue yesterday. It will be fixed soon, thanks Hailey

Hi Hailey,

Has you been able to resolve the problem yet?

I've noticed that Team has now changed the color of the padlock on closed topics to a shade of terra cota red. Has that shown up on your forum yet?

Cheers,
JJ

Has that shown up on your forum yet?

should be :)

Hi Hailey,

Thoroughly chastised now....... my fingers sometimes get ahead of my brain when I'm at the keyboard. Just a typo!

I wuz a wizurd in Gramur class, you shoulda wuz ther!

Cheers,
JJ

Hailey, I love it when you pick on me!!! Guess it's the Canadian in me. LOL

xxx ooo,
JJ

wjwoodward wrote:

Hailey, I love it when you pick on me!!! Guess it's the Canadian in me. LOL

xxx ooo,
JJ

Hi James, :)
Now that you got your Brazilian ID, why do you have to care about anything else?  :cool:

Up to three weeks ago, if you clicked on the thread title link and the thread was closed, you would go to the topic page and immediately notice that the {quote} and {reply} buttons were missing from all posts.

You did not have to scroll down at the very bottom of the thread to discover you can't reply.
Now we got an orange colored padlock and when you click on the thread title link (which is dimmed) you get a pink band at the top of the first post saying ‘Topic closed'. Problem solved.

I found something interesting.
If you go to https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=4 the second thread may be recognized as ‘closed' by the title being dimmed, but the orange padlock is replaced by an orange pin since the topic used to be labeled as ‘sticky'.

These little bugs are fine with me considering the ‘fee' I paid to be a member here: $0.00.

To me there is nothing wrong with it John and you are right this is an exceptional.
The sticky topic from James about dating is to inform everyone, special the new members
The reason why it is closed  I guess, because this is a rule and no need to discuss it.

I think too that regarding the "Not a Dating Site" posting there is a hierarchy of the symbols and that there can be only one symbol shown. It's sort of logical that the closed padlock would probably give way to the pushpin on topics with a sticky.

Live your expat project without any stress thanks to advice from expats

OR