Just arrived in Bahrain

I have just arrived from the UK to take up 2 year contract working for the Government here in Bahrain.  Left grown up family in the UK, (but will be returning to visit them!). Found flat ,but yet to get car so not very mobile - would appreciate any advice where is best to get a second hand car - don't want to spend too much as only want it for getting to and from work mainly, (20min journey). Happy to meet up with anyone that knows the place for advice etc and buy them a coffee or beer!

I would rent for a month and use that car to have a look around.  Most cars are advertised on the side of busy roads. There are a few 2nd hand showrooms mainly in Sitra.

Thanks for prompt response!

I can recommend 2 car hire companies. Prime Rental - 3377 6664 / 1760 0015 and also Tooranco - 3981 1223 / 1772 7645

I second what Josnuggles said.

To be honest, owning a car in this country is a pain.  Insurance is expensive and the chances of you having an accident are really high.  I have a friend whose car has been in the repair garage for nearly 5 months because they cant get parts.  Do a rental (long or short term) - you can hand it back when you leave the country for holidays, if it breaks down they fix it for nothing and if you have an accident they fix it for nothing (excess only if its your fault) and you always get a replacement straight away.  Maybe slightly more expensive on a month to month basis but when you add up all the other stuff and hassle its worth a bit of extra cost in my opinion.

JonDav wrote:

I have just arrived from the UK to take up 2 year contract working for the Government here in Bahrain.  Left grown up family in the UK, (but will be returning to visit them!). Found flat ,but yet to get car so not very mobile - would appreciate any advice where is best to get a second hand car - don't want to spend too much as only want it for getting to and from work mainly, (20min journey). Happy to meet up with anyone that knows the place for advice etc and buy them a coffee or beer!

Welcome to Bahrain. The two years will fly :)

Whilst I agree with Josnuggles and scottrace - there indeed are benefits of renting cars, I prefer owning them. When  first arrived n Bahrain I bought a used car, and used it for a good 5 years before getting a new one. Yes there are hassles involved such as the annual registration and insurance, maintenance and upkeep, but I have not found these too cumbersome or expensive. I suppose its personal preference at the end of the day.

And about that coffee ... I would share whatever of my knowledge and information about Bahrain in return for coffee  :thanks:

JonDav wrote:

My good friend is leaving and selling a VW Golf.  Very well looked after - let me know if you are interested and I can pass on the information to you.

Hello, best bet is to look on dubizzle for a second hand car. Make sure you know what you are looking for though as some (most) cars have been in some kind of an accident at some point. This can be minor damage to some cars.

Thanks for all advice - still looking but a lot wiser now just waiting for my expenses to be paid so I can buy a car!!

No problem, feel free to ask any other questions, i can point you in the right direction if you need it, regards graeme

Personally i wouldn't rent a car, you are paying for nothing and they are not cheap. I agree with the comments made earlier about servicing, insurance etc, but you are throwing money down the drain by renting. At least if you buy a car you can get some money back on it, thats only my view though. We rented for a month then bought a car second hand, it was fully insured and has two years warranty left. I paid for the car with money from the uk and used the money i had budgeted for leasing, to pay back the money in the uk, so in effect it costs me nothing and when i sell it, at least ill get some money out of it. Worth considering

Hi there

[moderated: advertisement?]

Good luck