Moving to Auckland

Hi
Hi
I am planning to move to auckland, have a job offer,
can you suggest is it a good country to live in , in terms of career growth, cost of living ,safety and entertainment.
Please suggest too confused reading the blogs your opinion might help.
Would like to know new people out here to make friends.
also in terms of accommodation as well

Hi Trisha
Welcome to the forum

Rental costs are high in NZ and especially so in Auckland.
For cost of living www.numbeo.com

I also suggest you do an online search for indian communities and clubs in Auckland and contact them for information and ideas.

Hello Trisha,

Great that you have a job offer in hand. Country is very calm and laid back but Auckland have heaps of
advancement and things to enjoy. Cost of living is high in Auckland as compare to other cities but still
sustainable.

Safety is One of the best as compare to other countries and in terms of career Growth its moderate .

In terms of related blogs  and sites I will suggest joining FB groups as they are fastest to get response
and best for up to date real time information , Like this Group fb.com/groups/nzpunjabis

Hi Trisha,

In general terms, yes, NZ is a good country to live in. We moved here 30 years ago and we wouldn't consider going back. Of course the country has its pros and its cons. First of all it helps if you are sports crazy, because Kiwi's certainly are. They are very friendly though reserved and won't bother you. Crime rate is relatively low and if you are not bothered by the continuous demands by the Maori for more and more tax payer handouts, then it's good living here, although accommodation and general living costs are high, whereas wages are not. You won't be able to find yourself a house for less than $400-450 per week and consequently lots of solo earners are forced to sharing a house with others or living in a converted garage, specifically in places like Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch. If there's anything else I could help you with, just reply please. Best of luck!

a very small economy [moderated: pls avoid generalise] and not easy to get job.be careful and try lining up a definite job before hand

abrax wrote:

a very small economy [moderated: avoid generalise] and not easy to get job.be careful and try lining up a definite job before hand

Very negative post.
Yes it may not be easy to get a job but I do not agree with 'generally small minded people'
Why did you come over to NZ in the first place and what has happened to  you that you write such a post. Please elaborate.

my wife and I came here for a better life shes a black woman by the way im white .she is a qualified school teacher got nzqa immediately after paying 7000 dollars no job as teacher goes to Auckland university 1 year and more money still no job she gets told by white secretary job is taken sees job advertised next day same company goes for training at Kelly services only black women in classroom teacher tells them most kiwi companies tell them not to send any black people to work opputunities advertised.i speak to my manager about our plight he tells me honestly that as a black woman shel battle to get any type of status job says bette rshe tries mac donaldsand the like .oh yes racism is alive and well here we saw enough of it in south Africa to know it when we see it.

I completely disagree with abrax. Kiwi's are definitely NOT smallminded, just the opposite I'd say. I have always experienced them as a pleasant and fair bunch of people who will accept you as one of them, as long as you accept them and respect their culture and try to blend in. New Zealand is certainly not a bad choice as an immigration destination, specifically if you are prepared to start at the bottom and work your way up. Immigrating is not an easy ride, absolutely not, but this country has got a lot to offer to people with the right skills and attitude.

Xenophobia is alive in New Zealand. If you don't see it then it's because you are not experiencing it.

stumpy wrote:
abrax wrote:

a very small economy generally smallminded people and not easy to get job.be careful and try lining up a definite job before hand

Very negative post.
Yes it may not be easy to get a job but I do not agree with 'generally small minded people'
Why did you come over to NZ in the first place and what has happened to  you that you write such a post. Please elaborate.

Well, Abrax and others have a right to their opinion. I have always been fascinated by the self-righteousness that Kiwis display in taking great offense at any criticism. Of course, I know all about the tall-poppy syndrome, but there should be a rule that you have to at least be living in the country (i.e., in New Zealand, not Australia) before you dismiss others for their less than complimentary point of view.

New Zealand is a small country with a small economy that is based on real estate (absurdly expensive, poor quality housing), a little dairy, and a little tourism. It is falling further behind other OECD nations in most measures - that is, the ones they even bother to track and admit to. Most jobs are in the government sector or with companies who depend on it. There is little public discourse because most people are struggling to survive and fear social repercussions if they step out of line (bullying). Sure, if you are some tea-sipping, bridge-playing, crumpet-munching syncophant, you may really like the place. If you think for yourself, you may join the 20% of the population that has fled for better destinations.