Arriving at Salwa in July!

Hello!

I'm due to arrive at Salwa Garden Village at the start of july with BAe and thought it may be worthwhile introducing myself before setting off.

Initially, I will be unaccompanied however, my family is likely to join me as soon as MFS allows (before Christmas would be a dream!)

Not long out of the RAF and am still adjusting to civilian life, all good so far!

So, any advice would be very much appreciated with anything specific to Salwa being fantastic!

Looking forward to a change in lifestyle and meeting lots of wonderful folk!

Skate.

I cannot think of any specific advice to give, but if you need any help that I can provide I'll be glad to... wish you safe arrival :)

As for Salwa I'm pretty sure our friend Dave can asnwer any question you might think of...

Dave... where are you?! :D

Welcome!

Dave's our Salwa expert.  Your family should be happy there--it's one of the most westernized places around, from what I know! :)

Pardon my ignorance but... what do BAe, MFS and RAE stand for?

In any case, good luck with the move! I myself am moving there over the summer and this forum is a wonderful help!

I've PM'd Dave and I'm sure he will be a great help!

BelishaBeacon,

forgive my ignorance, acronyms are far to commonly used and I am very guilty of it!

RAF - Royal Air Force

BAe - British Aersospace

MFS is the system BAe use to house families in KSA.

I'm very excited at cannot wait to get out there although arriving in July is going to be a challenge with the heat!

Wonderful Skate, thats two more Salwa residets or us to enjoy the intense security at the gate.

Dave is the Guru at Salwa. Over to you mate.... and dont forget to introduce him to your entertaining "Mr Bean" neighbor..

The multi step security process at Salwa always makes me feel like I'm crossing an international border and entering a foreign country.

Security is not a dirty word! I quite like the idea of having somebody armed at the gate but, perhaps that's still the military in me!

Skate wrote:

Security is not a dirty word! I quite like the idea of having somebody armed at the gate but, perhaps that's still the military in me!

Methinks you will fit right in...
...having visited there, it's not my preferred style of living
arrangements. I enjoy walking out of my house and into the marketplace (the exception was Calcutta:()

Keep up your enthusiasm and enjoy the expat experience:)

What I earnestly worry about all these tight security measures at western compounds in KSA is the tragic issues that could arise if and when someone inside suffers and emergency and needs to be rushed out to emergency at a hospital. The concrete boulders will surely slow the exit. Boggles my mind!

Hi Skate,

Welcome to Riyadh in advance.

As some of the posts have mentioned Salwa has probably got some of the most serious security going in Riyadh (not such a bad thing).

Other possitives for Salwa are;

There is a satellite of the British School at Salwa therefore, if you have children it's not far for you to take them.

Salwa has a good shop on site where you can find some of your familiar british brands (perhaps though you'd like to try the local products)

Salwa is home of the Riyadh expat Rugby team.

Some negatives;

It's miiiiiiiles away from the centre of Riyadh therefore a car is a must.

Welcome !!!!

MadMaz, sorry for being late. I have to work - sometimes. :lol::lol:
I'm overwhelmed being called an 'expert' and 'guru'. I am unworthy. :thanks:
As Salwa is home to BAe who support the military aspect of KSA I suppose there is every right to extra security. I have been on two other compounds and I just tell them where I want to go and hand over some ID. Maffi Mushkala.
We are a bit out of it here that's for sure but well away from the city pollution.

Can any one sign me and a friend into salwa tonight or tomorrow
, we are on a short term contract living in ranco working for stc. We can by you beer all night or sort out your stc problems, 46 and 41 calm and respectful will get taxi there and back