Contract advice please!

I have received an offer of 1700 BHD per month for an assistant professor position at a private university. I have a PhD and three plus years' experience. No housing or transportation is included, and flights home only every two years. Is this reasonable/ normal?
Also, I have only seen a contract letter. Should I begin working before I have seen and signed a full contract, or is this inadvisable/ illegal?
Thanks.

Hi

I would push for a lot more than you are getting.

Annual flights
Accommodation
Medical Insurance
Travel allowance

You sound like a highly educated professional so that salary is ok but only if the other benefits are added.

Don't worry too much about the contract not being signed, my husband got his via email on the day of his flight to Bahrain

Thanks for the advice Josnuggles. Unfortunately, I am already in Bahrain. Having seen my supposed workplace, I am now wondering about my ability to extricate myself.

JRManama wrote:

Thanks for the advice Josnuggles. Unfortunately, I am already in Bahrain. Having seen my supposed workplace, I am now wondering about my ability to extricate myself.

Sorry to hear this JR. Perhaps you may wish to give it a little time. The first few days are the most difficult and it takes some time to adjust to the place. However, if you are truly uncomfortable with the place, you can walk away from the contract, but it may cost you some money.

My advise is to give it sometime. You will be fine once you settle down and have a place of your own and a vehicle.