Would love to meet any other UK EXPATS living in Durban/ Umhlanga

Hello all

I have just arrived in Umhlanga from the UK. I am really keen to meet up with any other UK EXPATS living either in Durban or Umhlanga. I have arrived here on my own with the wife and kids arriving on the 1st May. As I am sure you are all aware its a lonely place to be when you do not know anyone. If anyone could point me in the right direction as to where Brits meet up which pubs are good etc I would really appreciate it.

Regards

Ian

Hello Ian,

Welcome to Expat.com.

A small introduction about yourself may help the other members to know more about you.
I suggest you to have a look to the Durban social network page, it might also help you to make new contacts here. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Hi Priscilla
Thank you for your advise. I have just returned to South Africa from the UK. Whilst back in the UK I was a bank manager for Halifax and Barclay's bank. I have returned to South Africa to make a better life for my Family. I am very much a family man and love the great outdoors. My wife and children are arriving from the UK in May and I am Keen to have started integrating into the local community prior to there arrival. I would appreciate any help that could be provided in meeting other UK ex pats.

Kind Regards

Ian Morris

Ignore the pubs and head for the beach straight away.  The Golden Mile is beautiful at sunset.  Or sunrise.  Or any time really.  It is also a far better place to take the wife and children.

Hi Ian,

I am also an ex pat. I arrived about 2 months ago. My husband is originally from Durban. We have a 3 year old daughter who is now in pre-school 5 mornings a week. I wondered if you have any recommendations you could share as I am finding it very difficult meeting other people in the area.

Thanks
Jacqui

Hi Jacqui
Join internations as a starting point. They have a monthly get together in Durban its a great way of meeting new people. I have also been to the George pub in Umhlanga village plenty of ex pats there on a friday afternoon. If you and your hubby would like to meet up for a beer at some point give me a call [Moderated: no phone number on the forum pls]. My wife and children are arriving on the 1st may I have two sons one aged 10 and one 7
Regards
Ian

Thanks Ian.

This is really helpful. Maybe we can get together when your wife arrives or a braai or beach day? It is hard for us to get out to the pub having our daughter in toe, but will try to arrange something.

I have also tried to be proactive and have just set up a Facebook page called ' Umhlanga moms ' It is a networking page where moms can go to for advice and tips from other members. I am hoping if we get enough members we can arrange get togethers too. Would be nice for you or your wife to join.

Hope you are beginning to settle in and find your way around.

Regards
Jacqui

Hi Jacqui

Thank you for your reply. I am settling in well and really enjoying Durban. I have to say I find it a lot harder not having my family with me as you can imagine.. Still not long now and they will be here. I will point Sam in the direction of your facebook group when she arrives as Im sure she will welcome the opportunity to engage with some other mum's once she is here. A braai sounds fantastic Sam and the boys arrive on the 2nd May so anytime after that would be great.
My contact no is ***.

Regards
Ian