Planning to live in Nairobi

Hi everyone,
I'm Anae, I am currently living in Quebec, Canada after some years in Belgium.
I have an interesting job opportunity in Nairobi, but as I would come to live there with my family, I am a bit worried about daily life there, especially on security matters.
I know it may be a sensitive topic, but I would like to hear how you live today, especially after the tragic attack that occurred last year. What are the specific security measures that must be taken everyday? Are they really heavy, or it is possible to live a normal life? As foreigners, especially with little children, what are the additional things to do, measures to take?
How to you feel the atmosphere now? Are people recovering from the tragedy?
I hope that I'm not too blunt and that you don't mind my questions, but I am trying to have the best idea of the situation before making the decision to come.
Thank you.

The shopping mall tragedy was terrible but the situation is normal now.

Security measures cannot be matched with some developed countries but business is now growing.

you do not have to be so worried. all is well now in kenya so just feel free to take your opportunity

Hey Kenya is safe do worry we can work out things together,here is my contact [email protected],from here henceforth we will make things work.thanks.

Hi Anae,
Good to hear of your nice offer in Nairobi.You are welcome to this part of the world
It is very a tricky situation if you are used to moving around freely.I mean you got to lock your hse all the time,instal an alarm system,live in a stone walled enclosure with gate manned by paid private security, cannot take a walk alone in the streets at some late hrs of day,cannot go to certain places......(There is  also something only known in local jargon called *KUPIGWA NGETA*  translated as someone physically attacks you at the  vocal cord  area from behind as you walk using a  wood-reinforced hand) sorry list is long but imagine these are things you may not be used to.I am being as equally blunt as your qns were.Im not discouraging you to come but if the benefits of going outweigh the negatives(i hope they do) surely take it up.
If the would be employer sorts out thing nicely(hse location,security,work visaetc) you are better off

Good luck as you piece together info to make a decision.
Rgds
A

Thank you very much everyone for your quick answers. I'm glad to hear that situation is normal there now. But as agbahali mentioned, there are some necessary security measures that may sound constraining as I am not used to them. On the other hand, I read some blogs of foreigners who seem to cope very well and who look perfectly happy there in Nairobi. To be honest, I am still worried especially because we would come with little children. I am continuing to gather ideas, thoughts and experience around before deciding, so please, feel free to post and give me you opinion on daily life in Nairobi! Thank you

Hi, I am a Kenyan, born and bred but I have traveled rather widely in my college days (including Quebec) and I continue to travel every month now in my professional life. Kenya is a beautiful country in so many ways the whether is great, the skies are blue and the people generally friendly and helpful. It is true we have a large expatriate community who love it here despite the threat of insecurity which forces all of us to alter our behavior, movement and associations every so often and that includes recreational activities, where we go shopping, where we go to church and even where we live.
We are recovering from the Westgate attack but we must remain cautious and to be honest we must also learn to expect similar attacks for as long as there in insecurity within our country and our neighbors (Somalia, Sudan etc.)
If I were planning to relocate to a foreign country with my children, I would spend a few months in that country before I made a final decision… or I would ensure that I leave my options open to return if things don't quite work out as I planned.
I am a patriotic Kenyan but just being realistic.

You do not have to worry about security issues. Its that single attack that really was the biggest long several decades. Its safe and very conducive and Kenyans are very welcoming individuals. Just come and explore the good things that Kenya offers. Its a great country indeed. All the best

Hi Anae... Glad to hear you are coming to kenya. You will like it here and you don't have to worry about insecurity, it's calm now and the police service are getting more vigilant. I know it may be out of the topic right now but if you need a housekeeper or a babysitter, you can contact me and we can see a way forward. Welcome to Kenya. Hakuna matata!

Hi Anae,

Have you moved to Nairobi?  I am in NYC and considering moving and have the same fears as you and would love to communicate.  Please email me at [email protected]
Thanks
Rachel

Anae,

How is your name pronounced is it A`ni or A`ne?
rgds
A

Hallo, i hope you got a feedback to your question, if not this is to advise you Nairobi is a beautiful safe place to live . Like every other town, its advisable to travel accompanied until you get to know Nairobi well. Your travel Agent or host familoy can take you through that. Please keep intouch while around, i like making friends, and like everyone else would want to know their background first before close associations.

Let me know
Martha ([email protected])

Rachel, Nairobi is safe. incase you want more infor, you can let me know. [email protected].

Martha

Hi Ann,first what u have to know a country with deferent people must have deferent minds, all these people reply ur question back they don't come from one location! I believe Kenya is safe if u listen to people sooo much u might get terrified.....I can remember in the year 2003 when Zimbabwe was chaotic and volatile people discauraged me not to go,but i insisted and went bcz the best experience in life is u and u alone not the next party and I just went. Belive me you it was safe and I could operate up to midnight safetly. In short u just come to Kenya ......u will like it. where I stay we can even leave house unlocked 1 week without any interuption I tell u.

Hi Anae,
Were you to come i don't suppose you would take things literally as written here.If you do it would just be hilarious attempting to "leave house unlocked  for 1 week" .............and  expect " without any interuption" as cited above.
A

and learn some Swahili to keep you moving.

Hello my friend, don't be worried a bout security in our country, it is now more than perfect than before. And the most beautiful thing is that our atmosphere is acceptable to any one, so feel free to come back. In case you come back here is my Email [email protected]

Hey!

I'm a fellow Canadian and I have been living in Kenya for about 5 years. As long as you have the means (good income) you can pretty much stay in a bubble in Nairobi. There are certain areas, although expensive, that you can live life without many worries. It is a big adjustment to how you live in a developed country, like not rolling your windows down in traffic jams cause you might be car hijacked (from experience, yes), locking your house, avoiding having a watchable predictable routine, trusting random people, etc etc but when you start to get used to the "safety rules", they just become an unconscious way of life after awhile. Kenya has recovered from Westgate but is still having the odd bomb going off, but they are rare to kill people, and I personally don't think about the terrorists ever but worry about the local thugs.

Ohhh but one more thing: the govt has announced it is installing top of the line security cameras through out the country everywhere. So I DO think that will prevent and evade a lot of the crime around so regular people can feel safer. :)

worry not security is getting much better nowadays,i want to give courage that police ratio to the public has increased,so feel free to come to Kenya.